Author Topic: Given up on arrow making  (Read 6379 times)

Offline Fox

Given up on arrow making
« on: September 05, 2020, 05:16:14 pm »
I have 3 bows that i could hunt with this season... non of which i have arrows i would shoot at a living animal with...  i have bare shafted and the shafts seem to fly absalutely perfect the few shafts ive made from shoots and the split timber shafts and the shafts ive bought ill bare shaft and there great... and then i paint them and there beatiful... and then i fletch them and i can hardly hit the target... now i dont have perfect form but i can group the bare shafts pretty good... so ive given up and am just going to blow 100 dollers that i dont have on arrows from 3 rivers.. ill post pics of all my arrows that refuse to go where i ask them too.

-Fox
Why must we make simple things so complicated?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Given up on arrow making
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2020, 05:40:13 pm »
Why not see if someone on PA has any extra arrows they are willing to trade. Lot's cheaper than buying some.  ;)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Fox

« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2020, 05:42:16 pm »
Not a bad idea Pat

Offline Mafort

« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2020, 05:43:48 pm »
Fox I’d be happy to make you a set of hunting arrows. Shoot me a message with your bows stats and your draw length.

Offline Fox

« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2020, 05:44:50 pm »
114366 by Livvydog, on Flickr

114370 by Livvydog, on Flickr

114368 by Livvydog, on Flickr

114372 by Livvydog, on Flickr

114374 by Livvydog, on Flickr

114378 by Livvydog, on Flickr

114376 by Livvydog, on Flickr

114382 by Livvydog, on Flickr

114384 by Livvydog, on Flickr

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2020, 05:50:39 pm »
Those arrows look pretty good to me. Is it the arrows or you?
If an arrow flies well bare shaft I can think of no reason why it won't shoot well fletched.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Fox

« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2020, 06:09:28 pm »
My same question pat i dont know why when i fletched them they went to garbage.... it could be me for sure... but see the thing is, is that i hade a set of store bought arrows that i could group (usually) within a 6 inch group. But the ones ive mad only about half of them even make it on the target

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2020, 08:42:39 pm »
Are the shafts well seasoned and dry? All the same size and similar weight? Were the shoots at least 2nd year growth when you harvested them?

Offline paulc

« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2020, 09:00:36 pm »
What's second year growth have to do with it..?

P

Offline Fox

« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2020, 09:18:01 pm »
Pat.. the shoots where dry and colected from black haw, i don't know what year growth they where though. and the other shafts where store bought so i assume they are dry

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2020, 09:40:25 pm »
I agree with Pat B, those arrows look pretty good!  You may have developed a glitch in your shooting technique.  I assume you used all the same wing feathers on the same shaft?  What spine weight and length are they? 
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline Fox

« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2020, 10:26:09 pm »
Im really not thinking its my shooting, just because i can pick up the one arrow i have left of the bought ones and hit the perfect grapefruit but i couldnt hit a watermelon truck with these. yeah there all from tthe same wing not sure on the spine, i just sand them till they shoot straight before fletching, and there 27" ... the bought shafts though are 65-70 spine

Offline Fox

« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2020, 10:29:11 pm »
oh and the ones that are shoots and are for my 45# locust bow weigh 600 grains. and the the other weigh 700 for my 55# hickory

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2020, 07:21:37 am »
Paul, first year growth(one annual ring), that only has leaves growing on them are generally too whipy to make good arrows. Second year growth(2 annual rings) has small branches where last years leaves were has more resistance thus making better arrows.
Fox, I've used black haw Viburnum and made good arrows, the only downfall is viburnum does check easily if debarked too soon but even checked they make good arrows.

Offline Fox

« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2020, 09:45:57 am »
Yeah I really like it as arrow shafts (it's also the only shoots around) now that you'v described 2nd year growth, they are second year growth