Author Topic: Given up on arrow making  (Read 6292 times)

Offline High-Desert

Re: Given up on arrow making
« Reply #30 on: September 07, 2020, 10:00:54 am »
Do you have a helix on the fletching? I couldn’t tell for sure in the photo, but it almost looked like a right wing on a left helix.
Eric

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #31 on: September 07, 2020, 10:51:59 am »
That cold surely mess up the flight.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Fox

« Reply #32 on: September 07, 2020, 10:55:09 am »
Thanks high eagle, jimmi and hawkdancer. You guys are encouraging! High eagle, my brace hight is around 5.5" and i get no wrist slap, but the knocking point i do have a hard time figuring exactly where it should be (I just eyeball it) I did think of that and moved it around a bit and it didn't seem to change arrow flight much... is there a way to masure where it should be more accurately?
Why must we make simple things so complicated?

Offline Fox

« Reply #33 on: September 07, 2020, 11:01:45 am »
Now the helix ... that is something I've been trying to figure out.... on all my arrows fletched by 3 rivers or other arrow makers a left wing had a helix that goes to the left? Correct? Now I have had a hard time figuring out rw vs lw... after some reading I figured out how to tell... but the thing is I could be tottaly wrong... these are supposed to be left wing feathers IF i figured it out correctly...

Offline Fox

« Reply #34 on: September 07, 2020, 11:05:14 am »
In the 7th photo is the arrows that have a lot of helix and are supposed  to be left wing with a left helix

bownarra

« Reply #35 on: September 08, 2020, 02:00:26 am »
From what you have said I think it could only be one thing :)
When you look at a feather one side is shiny and smooth - the top of the feather as it sits in the wing. The other side is rough - the underside of the wing. Doesn't matter left or right wing BUT you must have all three from the same wing. Eg. all rough on the same side.
The offset you put on the feather has to be towards the rough side.
Eg the rough side is catching the air as the arrow flys.
If you offset to the wrong side eg. the smooth side catching the air then your arrows will fly......not very well :)
Highgly unlikely to be form etc if you can group the bare shafts and it is only when you fletch them that they start acting funny. If it was form then you certainly wouldn't be able to group bare shafts :)
Once you have your fletching sorted out then leave one arrow unfletched. Shoot it with your other arrows and it should group with them.

Offline Fox

« Reply #36 on: September 08, 2020, 09:34:59 am »
so.. so.. the offset is supposed to be towerds the rough side? well then ive done it all backwords  ;D  I was following what the arrows ive bought where fletched like and on them it looks like atleast that the front end of the fletchings offset goes away from the rough side.... welp once i get more feathers hopfully this turky season ill give it another try ...

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #37 on: September 08, 2020, 12:09:25 pm »
Fox,
Pm me your address, I will send you some.   Areyou doing 2 or 3 fletch, and do you want left or right wing?  Got both in a box or the freezer in the shop!
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry