Author Topic: Target Bows vs. Hunting bows?  (Read 4276 times)

Offline bradsmith2010

Re: Target Bows vs. Hunting bows?
« Reply #30 on: October 07, 2020, 11:20:42 pm »
but you can set you gap for 30 if you want,, to be point on,,

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #31 on: October 08, 2020, 06:19:08 am »
If you shoot a fawn with spots, brown shoe polish to cover the spots. ;) :) :) :) :) Most folks I know make a target bow a little longer and lighter in weight and usually more elaborate grip. I use the same bow for targets that I plan on hunting with as others have said. :) I do shoot a lot of tournaments but it is just for fellowship and to stay in practice for hunting which is my real love. :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline HH~

« Reply #32 on: October 08, 2020, 06:23:36 am »
If your point on there is no Gap. You can play with arrow weight and a lower anchor on face to push your point on out, sure.  My minimum arrow weight for hunting selfbow is 500grns and I think thats a little light. More like 550-650grns.

Think the lightest selfbobow I killed whitetails with 37lbs 500grn arrow. Two holes in deer but arrow was sticking out, deer went 50yds maybe. That was a target weight bow but I just shot in my hunting style of shooting is all.

Shawn~
MAFA: Makin America Free Again

Long is the road, Hard is the way.

Mother Gue never raised such a foolish child. . . .

Readily will I display the intestinal fortitude required to fight onto the Ranger objective and complete the mission though I be the lone survivor. RLTW

Offline Allyn T

• I'm addicted to information
« Reply #33 on: October 08, 2020, 07:06:57 am »
Ha I've never heard that pappy, thank you for clearing that up it was driving me nuts
In the woods I find my peace

Offline bassman

« Reply #34 on: October 08, 2020, 10:35:51 am »
Hunting,and target  shooting  are 2 different games. With hunting placing the arrow in the kill zone of say a white tail with the first cold shot is the one that counts. I have a friend that I shoot target with. I use a target bow ,and he uses a hunting bow. On a blue faced target at 20 yds. my shooting is more consistent than his if we shoot for score, but his 1st shot always is in the kill Zone of a white tail, and he scores a buck ,and a couple does every year. He is an excellent hunting shot, and  hunter and, uses a 55 lb bow, and keeps his shots 25 yds ,and in. Practice 1st shot cold. It will help you to become a better hunting archer.

Offline mmattockx

« Reply #35 on: October 08, 2020, 12:28:48 pm »
What target shooting do you have in mind, and just how serious are  you about it?

I'm not looking at competition, just wanted to know what sort of changes others do in the design of the bow to suit target shooting more than hunting.

For me it is heavier bow by at least a lb.

How do you get the weight that much heavier on a wood bow?

Mark

Offline willie

« Reply #36 on: October 08, 2020, 02:07:19 pm »
I'm not looking at competition, just wanted to know what sort of changes others do in the design of the bow to suit target shooting more than hunting.

All this time I thought Mark was wanting to build a hunting bow, but when I reread the opening post I saw I was mistaken from the get go.

I believe some members build wood bows for use in barebow comp?  do they tune the bows different for target? or tiller the limbs different if the bow is to be used for target?  I read that the modern materiels guys make much of positive tiller, making adjustments etc.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2020, 02:12:27 pm by willie »

Offline HH~

« Reply #37 on: October 08, 2020, 03:50:04 pm »
Depends how shoot. Problem with shooting 3 under target with a selfbow is: the bottom limb takes a beating. There are ways to keep that limb lively.

Arvin can speak to what those are. Arvin gave me a stave, prolly not the stave to do a pyramid
With but i did anyway. After much work this is the fastest fourty some pound bow i ever shot 3 under.

The Super Pyramid.

Shawn

Readily will I display the intestinal fortitude required to fight onto the Ranger objective and complete the mission though I be the lone survivor. RLTW

Offline willie

« Reply #38 on: October 08, 2020, 04:06:55 pm »
Shawn, this is a bit off topic, but when I watch target archery in you tube, I can hear some bows "twang" on release much different from others. Does hearing the vibration tell a guy much when tuning a bow for competition?

Offline Selfbowman

« Reply #39 on: October 08, 2020, 07:42:35 pm »
My hunting bow is 67” long and 47@28 I pull 26 1/2 . It’s killed a wildebeest  at 18 yds. 570 grains. If I want to shoot my best selfbow score that’s what I go with.  Arvin
Well I'll say!!  Osage is king!!

Offline HH~

« Reply #40 on: October 08, 2020, 08:12:29 pm »
They will be louder for sure 3 under.

I do shoot field targets split 30-80yds .

Shawn~