Author Topic: Shorty BH  (Read 3277 times)

Offline DC

Shorty BH
« on: September 18, 2020, 11:46:52 am »
My new bow is 52 NTN. Do I still go with a 6" BH(approx) or do I scale it down? The only other time I've made a short bow was for my grandson and I reduced the BH.

Offline Jakesnyder

Re: Shorty BH
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2020, 12:22:51 pm »
Halfeye always used like a 4in average bh and ya know he made em short!

Offline DC

« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2020, 12:34:32 pm »
Solid source ;D Did he hold them in a particular way to avoid wrist slap?

Offline Jakesnyder

« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2020, 03:14:01 pm »
I don't think so. I know from experience if you rotate the bottom of your bow hand out away from the bow a little you can avoid some of it. Primitive man almost had to of used arm guards (and I know some did) or they built some pretty big callouses on there arms :D

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2020, 03:16:51 pm »
A short bow with low brace,, is gonna hit your wrist,,arm guard needed,

Offline DC

« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2020, 03:48:54 pm »
I really overestimated the amount of wood I needed for this. I've got a tight long string on it and I'm pulling 35#@ 5". I think I have to watch it as I have a feeling that when things start to move, they'll move fast.

Offline PatM

« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2020, 04:01:29 pm »
You can find pics of  half eye shooting with a slight crook to the elbow and wrist which keeps the arm well out of the way.  If any part was hit it would be the base of the thumb.

Since you are likely using no stretch the chances of being hit decrease greatly.

Reducing the brace height relative to bow length makes sense.

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2020, 04:15:50 pm »
ok maybe my wrist is big,, :)

Offline DC

« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2020, 06:23:12 pm »
A question. I'm tillering away with the shortest long string I can get on. It's pulling 35#@ 8". A long way to go and the limb is getting kind of thin. It crosses my mind that I might be able to get 50# instead of 35#. I pulled it to 40 something and changed my mind. Now it feels soft so I pull it to 35#. It goes to 14". I'm thinking lots of set, I screwed it up. So I measured the reflex and it's still within 1/4" of where it was which is 1/2" higher than when I took it off the caul. The bow seems fine it just took a jump from 8" to 14" without doing anything. Is it possible for a bow to take set, as in lose DW without losing any reflex. I thought measuring the reflex was a good way of checking for set. Puzzled.

Offline Selfbowman

« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2020, 06:46:08 pm »
DC did you trace the bow off the caul. IT took set just happened mid limb in or the tiller was perfect and the entire limbs took set. Maybe Arvin
Well I'll say!!  Osage is king!!

Offline willie

« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2020, 06:50:34 pm »
Is it possible for a bow to take set, as in lose DW without losing any reflex.
most of the time set is considered the permanent deformation, or visible change in limb profile, so I suppose not.

But if you are asking if the wood has been compromised, then yes, the stiffness has changed. Think of Badgers "no set tillering". It's a method to detect the change in stiffness that precedes visible set taking.

Offline DC

« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2020, 07:40:37 pm »
DC did you trace the bow off the caul. IT took set just happened mid limb in or the tiller was perfect and the entire limbs took set. Maybe Arvin
Yes I did and right now it shows more reflex along the full length of both limbs than it had right off the caul.

It's a method to detect the change in stiffness that precedes visible set taking.

It seems like a lot of change but in the absence of anything else that must be it

Offline mmattockx

« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2020, 10:59:37 pm »
I've got a tight long string on it and I'm pulling 35#@ 5".

(lol)

Overpulled and not even to brace yet... I sympathize.

It seems like a lot of change but in the absence of anything else that must be it

Have you been keeping track of the weight at various draw lengths? Badger's method works great, but the problem is it shows me as soon as I have screwed up, but too late to avoid it...

Mark
« Last Edit: September 19, 2020, 10:40:13 am by mmattockx »

Offline DC

« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2020, 10:06:11 am »
I took a closer look on the tree this morning and noticed a bit of a weak spot. Is it possible that on a short bow the effect of a little screwup is magnified?
I do think that I should have made a caul especially for this bow. I just slid the bow toward the tip end of the caul but by the time it's braced there is not a lot of recurve left. I'll finish my coffee and fly at it.

Offline Selfbowman

« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2020, 10:10:13 am »
[/quote]
Yes I did and right now it shows more reflex along the full length of both limbs than it had right off the caul.
 Ok DC was the wood dry? I will hush and learn. Arvin
Well I'll say!!  Osage is king!!