Author Topic: Feathers...Whats on your arrows ?  (Read 27937 times)

Offline Sparrow

• Who shot cock robin ? I said the sparrow.
    • Dream Fish Charters
Feathers...Whats on your arrows ?
« on: May 01, 2008, 02:14:52 pm »
 My son down in washington state sent me a bunch of turkey feathers from a bird he shot a couple of weekends ago.I had brought hundreds up to Alaska with me when I moved here and had them stored in a cardboard box in the shed,looked in there last fall when it was time to do some fletching and bugs had eaten them up,not a feather was spared. I have been making arrows out of native materials up here and have a bunch of canada goose primaries to work with.We have about 30 or 40 bald eagles in the village right now and they are beginning to drop feathers all over the place,cannot use a single one of them because of the endangered species act(They were never endangered in Alaska) Boy are they some great looking feathers,Huge. Anywho,I can't help but love the look of those turkey feathers on an arrow.I once used the cinnamon colored primaries out of a male peacocks wings for the cock feather on a bunch of arrows I made,That looked pretty good.I hope to get some tundra swan wings sometime for use as cock feathers 'cause they are legal to hunt in parts of Alaska and I know they are just being thrown away. Anyone using any different feathers out there for fletching ?  Frank
Frank (The Sparrow) Pataha, Washington

Minuteman

Re: Feathers...Whats on your arrows ?
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2008, 04:21:54 pm »
Just using the turkey primaries primarily. :D
 Have fooled around with Canada goose feathers but that was back when I was strippin' the quills instead of grindin like I do now.Wish I had all the goose feathers back I tried to strip and destroyed. Dern things just won't strip worth  hoot.
 I wanna try crow wing feather in a two fletch. That'd give me a good reason to hunt them.
 Chris

Offline huntertrapper

« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2008, 06:17:13 pm »
ive have used a parrot feather before when i made my first arrow, worked well. thats when i shot compound too and at 20 yards i hit lungs eevry time. but id like to try other feathers like crow, or goose, but all i ahve is turkey and thats what works for me
Modern Day Tramp

Offline Andrea S

« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2008, 08:08:52 pm »
I have quite a feather collection back home (I've still got one more week of college yet) that I can't wait to sort through and see what'll make decent fletching. I used to pick feathers up all around the lake by my house, and in my backyard and other places, so I've got a lot of goose and crow. My sister knew I liked collecting feathers, and worked in a vet clinic, so whenever they trimmed macaws or cockatiels, she'd bring me home some feathers. I might end up with some nifty looking arrows this summer.
Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be. -Abe Lincoln

Offline recurve shooter

« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2008, 06:55:09 pm »
...hawk feathers would be COOL 8). unfoutunatly we cant touch em.  :'( are buzard freathers leagle to use? anyhow, i just use turkey most of the time. wanna try crow.
lets just shoot it

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2008, 07:11:33 pm »
You can use any feathers ....but those from a Raptor...unless you have a CDIB Card like I do....then you can have and use Raptor Feathers
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline Sparrow

• Dream Fish Charters
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2008, 09:15:43 pm »
 What's that CDIB stand for ? I want one !  Frank

Offline El Destructo

As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline Sparrow

• Dream Fish Charters
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2008, 04:26:51 am »
 I ought to look into that,both my grandmothers were eastern cherokee's,one from the carolina's and one from oklahoma or arkansas. Maybe I could use some of these eagle primary's laying all over the place up here for fletching.They are great big feathers.  Frank

Offline El Destructo

« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2008, 06:26:31 am »
I ought to look into that,both my grandmothers were eastern cherokee's,one from the carolina's and one from oklahoma or arkansas. Maybe I could use some of these eagle primary's laying all over the place up here for fletching.They are great big feathers.  Frank

Not only that....you can get you some Free Vacation Property in Oklahome too!!! Got to be a Registered Cherokee though.........I am not........Ojibwe!!!!!
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline Sparrow

• Dream Fish Charters
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2008, 02:31:18 pm »
 Is that like registering your labrador retreiver ? Frank

Offline El Destructo

« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2008, 04:17:38 pm »
          Yep.....and it's about as fair as AKC too....there are only so many Native tribes that are accepted as being True
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline hawkbow

• High Country Archer
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2008, 04:56:35 pm »
I am a native white american, many generations.. does that count? ;D
IT IS BETTER TO LOSE WITH HONOR. THAN TO WIN THROUGH DECEPTION...

Mike "Hawk" Huston

Offline Coo-wah-chobee

« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2008, 05:25:55 pm »
.........Foks ya need ta back off on this. There are NO natives that are white. Hate ta dissapoint ya foks unless ya have Indian blood in yer veins yer NOT an Indian. We are NOT Native Americans y'all named this country NOT us. Comparing registering with the Bureau of Indian Affairs ta registering yer labrador retreiver with the AKC is in bad taste. Y'all need ta think about this........bob

Offline El Destructo

« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2008, 05:45:08 pm »
Sorry .......Big Cat.........I meant no Disrespect at all....was just pointing out a flaw in the System....not comparing my Ancestors to Dog..................... boonendam niin coo-wa-chobee
2024...We Will Overcome