Author Topic: Tiller vs Center of Draw  (Read 1951 times)

Offline Piddler

Tiller vs Center of Draw
« on: October 16, 2020, 06:34:55 pm »
Fellas,
I have a couple photos I need you to look at. Hope they attach. It seems that I get different tiller that has to have something to do with the center of draw. I am attaching two photos one each with either limb on top.I  have a crooked limb and straight limb and labeled as such. Drawing split finger with the nocking point 1 3/8" above bow center putting the bottom of the arrow approximately 1" above center. l know lots if discussions about equal length limbs vs Asymetrical so may have something to do with that. The bow is 61" NTN Osage 1 1/4" wide. It is about 50 lbs at 26". Kind of a semi bendy handle with the handle section 1" wide. I did some dry heat straightening on the crooked limb since the last tiller check on the tree and just took photos. Now I'm confused. Braced profile has the crooked limb about 1/8" stiffer about 10" down the limb from the handle. The rest is pretty even.
So my question is do I move the Knock and Grip up or down to compensate for the different way it stresses the limbs or something else. I added some circles to the photos.
AS always thanks in advance
"My goal in life is to try and be the kind of person my dog thinks I am"

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
Re: Tiller vs Center of Draw
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2020, 07:09:06 pm »
That sure is a pretty tiller. I would not change a thing. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2020, 07:16:48 pm »
I think seeing it unbraced would help,,too

Offline Allyn T

• I'm addicted to information
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2020, 08:15:24 pm »
I too wish to know about tillering style
In the woods I find my peace

Offline Piddler

« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2020, 08:37:36 pm »
Thanks Jawge.
Brad, attached is the unbraced profile. This was taken just after un-stringing. It follows the string about 1/4" after a shooting secession. Also attached is a braced photo.
Piddler

Offline TimBo

« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2020, 09:26:27 pm »
I would keep it like it is in the second photo (straight limb top) if it shoots well that way.  If you want to have the straight limb on bottom, the other limb needs to be weakened a bit, either with wood reduction or by moving the grip a bit higher.  Is the arrow 1" above center in both photos?

Offline medicinewheel

« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2020, 03:30:38 am »
Please post the regular FD pic straight up without the circle. Maybe  shoot one more with plain background.
The braced and especially the unbraced looks great to me.
Frank from Germany...

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2020, 04:32:18 am »
I would keep it like it is in the second photo (straight limb top) if it shoots well that way.  If you want to have the straight limb on bottom, the other limb needs to be weakened a bit, either with wood reduction or by moving the grip a bit higher.  Is the arrow 1" above center in both photos?
+1
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline burchett.donald

« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2020, 05:53:49 pm »
This may help...How does it launch an arrow would be my question...Looks good from here, always tiller in hand the last 3-4 inches...
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline Piddler

« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2020, 06:07:10 pm »
Timbo, I have no preference which limb is on top. I think it shoots a bit better that way. The arrow is 1" above center in both photos. Think I should move it up or down a bit.
Medicinewheel, I'' post one without the circle with straight limb on top. My photographer is not around for a different photo sorry.
Looks like burchett.donald just turned one around. Looks the one with the crooked limb on top.
Thanks burchett.donald
Thanks Del
Piddler

Offline medicinewheel

« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2020, 04:32:05 am »
If it feels better this way shoot it this way; don't flip it anymore!
If the bow feels right in the hand when you pull it I don't think you need to do anything about it.
If the situation gets worse you still can do something about it.
Nice bow!
Frank from Germany...