Author Topic: Black locust struggles  (Read 2344 times)

Offline Kidder

Black locust struggles
« on: October 18, 2020, 11:06:10 pm »
So I’ve got a stave of black locust that is about 6 months old. I’d like to back it and bring it down to a roughed out bow to finish drying. Mostly because I know it’s going to be a struggle and don’t want to waste any more mental effort if it should be thrown into the shop stove this winter. That said it is extremely fine ringed (25rpi). The outer 10 or so rings seem to be pure pith and are substantially more early wood than late wood. I’ve also noticed a small amount of spalting in it. Should I removed the sapwood and use the first heartwood ring as a back and then likely rawhide back it? My concern is that the outer rings are almost entirely early wood. Do I dare try to chase down 10-12 rings to one of the few decent rings - in working a few small areas, even with a bigger ring it seems close to impossible. Or scrap it? All of the locust that I’ve put tool to has driven me nuts and looking for some insight. Thanks!

Offline Fox

Re: Black locust struggles
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2020, 11:25:47 pm »
doesn't look too bad to me ( I'm still pretty new though) but id chase down to that first or second good ring.

-Fox
Why must we make simple things so complicated?

Offline Kidder

« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2020, 12:00:11 am »
This is an example of the spalting.

bownarra

« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2020, 01:32:25 am »
That isn't spalting. Spalting only affects dead trees and is basically the ingress of various micro--organisms that break down the wood, ultimately rotting it. Locust often gets those marks in it - no problem.
As for chasing a ring it just takes time , patience and experience. It is perfectly possible to chase the first heartwood ring on this stave. Stop telling yourself it is impossible and have a go. You need a super, super sharp scraper for the job. Look up on how to get a cabinet scraper super sharp. With the right tools and good light ring chasing is pretty easy and I find it theraputic :)

Offline Kidder

« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2020, 01:55:06 am »
That isn't spalting. Spalting only affects dead trees and is basically the ingress of various micro--organisms that break down the wood, ultimately rotting it. Locust often gets those marks in it - no problem.
As for chasing a ring it just takes time , patience and experience. It is perfectly possible to chase the first heartwood ring on this stave. Stop telling yourself it is impossible and have a go. You need a super, super sharp scraper for the job. Look up on how to get a cabinet scraper super sharp. With the right tools and good light ring chasing is pretty easy and I find it theraputic :)

Thanks! That’s great advice...especially “ Stop telling yourself it is impossible and have a go.” I’m gonna make it happen!

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2020, 08:59:41 am »
Yes, remove the sapwood. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Fox

« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2020, 10:15:24 am »
Do you guys not think the early wood to late wood ratio is too bad to chase the first ring?

-Fox
Why must we make simple things so complicated?

Offline George Tsoukalas

« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2020, 10:20:49 am »
One of the rings just under the sapwood looks ok. Not sure if it is the first. If you miss it go to the next good one.

The BL around here (NH) has thicker rings. Those rings are atypical for BL I've used. I, too, cut my bow making teeth on it.

I would not reject a stave because of late wood early wood ratio. What I would do and have done with osage is leave it a little wider. I might go 1 3/4" wide. Sometime you have to adapt.

Jawge
« Last Edit: October 19, 2020, 10:29:38 am by George Tsoukalas »
Set Happens!

Offline TimBo

« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2020, 10:22:41 am »
The ratio isn't great, but I think that first dark heartwood ring will be relatively easy to chase.  One nice thing about thin rings is that there is always another one!  With that said though, it does look like you have a few decent rings, and then sort of a "void" in the middle...I would try hard to use that first dark ring so you have the maximum amount of decent rings in the bow, and don't have all of the light colored stuff for the belly.  Good luck!

Offline Kidder

« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2020, 11:49:07 am »
That picture HAS the sapwood removed - those are 10-15 years of heartwood on the outside that you can barely see the rings on. Now that said - after I posted it I was able to stick to that ring with a dull draw knife and a sharp scraper and have got about 20” of the back chased. But it’s taken me 2 hours to do that and is testing the nerves. But I’m going to just keep plugging away. Thanks for the input!

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2020, 12:28:39 pm »
Patience, Grasshopper! :BB.  You are not in a foot race.
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline George Tsoukalas

« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2020, 01:11:59 pm »
So I was looking that first photo with the ruler on it. That's all heartwood? Jawge
Set Happens!

Offline Kidder

« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2020, 02:03:41 pm »
So I was looking that first photo with the ruler on it. That's all heartwood? Jawge
Yep - that’s all heartwood. There are some very fine late wood rings but it’s very pithy. I’ve managed to catch a ring about 3 down and ride it out for about 20 inches.

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2020, 02:05:42 pm »
wouldnt hurt to rawhide back too..I would go down to the thicker rings,, thats just me,,
if I was gonna sinew back, I would just get it pretty close and put the sinew on,, but I think there is a bow in there,, :-D

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2020, 02:13:54 pm »
In this situation I'd go down to the first thicker growth ring and get it clean as possible. If you violate it go to the next but remember you don't have too far you can go at that point so a scraper and some patience might be your best bet. Quit thinking about how much you have to do and just do it. Slow and steady wins the race.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC