Author Topic: Sinew vs rawhide backing  (Read 2888 times)

Offline eastcreekarchery

Sinew vs rawhide backing
« on: October 30, 2020, 08:41:24 am »
Which does better on a short, heavy draw weight bow?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Sinew vs rawhide backing
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2020, 08:49:27 am »
These are 2 different applications. One is primarily for performance (sinew) the other for protection(rawhide). Sinew can be used for protection but IMO rawhide is easier and more appropriate.
 For your situation, a short, heavy weight bow, I would use sinew, about 3 layers and hide glue.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline eastcreekarchery

« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2020, 09:11:15 am »
Ok thanks for the tip

gutpile

« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2020, 09:46:53 am »
ditto Pat on this one... if for your cedar bow sinew is my choice.. rawhide will protect the back and thats about it.. sinew will protect the back as well and add performance by inducing some reflex.. I add sinew then hang a 25 lb weight from handle and have tips sitting on two chairs... I'll leave it like that for about a month... sinew will take a while to set up ... it can add poundage to a bow also... gut

gutpile

« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2020, 09:52:51 am »
I'll add this also.. I draw around 26.5.. so I will longstring till my bow to about 19 to 20 inches prior to sinewing the back... and well before first brace... you want it sinewed before you brace it IMO ..especially cedar.. you just want to get the limbs bending fairly evenly before sinewing and with this method it will add more reflex than a roughed out bow ... gut

Offline eastcreekarchery

« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2020, 10:05:23 am »
I think im goin to use black locust for my short bow since my cedars are going to be quite knotty. I want a 22” draw so ill tiller to 15 inches then sinew back, let it cure and maybe try the 25lb weight method and then continue tillering.

Offline loefflerchuck

• www.heartwoodbows.com
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2020, 11:30:05 am »
Keep in mind black locust is not ideal for sinew as it is stronger in tension than compression to begin with

gutpile

« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2020, 12:02:59 pm »
agree black locust must be tilled spot on or it will chrysal... I know not spelled right ..PAT !!! lol... I did a black locust short static recurve for my daughter when I first started building bows.. it survived luckily... still lives...but honestly not sure if the sinew hurt it or saved it  cause it took some set... gut

Offline willie

« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2020, 02:10:55 pm »

I draw around 26.5.. so I will longstring till my bow to about 19 to 20 inches prior to sinewing the back.

Gut, you tiller on the longstring to the intended finished draw weight? or some reduced amount of weight? Perhaps you complete quite a bit of belly tillering after the sinew is dry?
thanks

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2020, 02:24:32 pm »
my short sinew back locust is good, I think the sinew reduces strain on the belly

Offline aznboi3644

« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2020, 10:44:04 am »
Hmm.  I follow a guy on Instagram what makes some really nice short sinew backed black locust bows with 4oz of sinew on all his bows.  They are static recurved tipped and reflexed. Tiller is spot on but his hunting bows are great.  I do believe the sinew reduces strain on the belly,

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2020, 10:48:55 am »
Ive never tried that much sinew, I will have to try that sometime

gutpile

« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2020, 07:40:02 am »
willie... no I longstring just to get limbs bending evenly.. ..I can always reduce weight not add.... I get fairly close.. I never pull over my target weight either...this helps reduce any set I might experience..... If I'm shooting for a 60 lb bow I won't pull past that weight ...say I hit that at 17 inches I reduce the limbs at that point, put back on tree pull to 60 check till and see where I am at...   gut

Offline Allyn T

• I'm addicted to information
« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2020, 09:16:13 am »
So would sinew reduce belly strain because it raises the neutral plane much like perry reflex?
In the woods I find my peace

Offline mmattockx

« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2020, 10:15:15 am »
So would sinew reduce belly strain because it raises the neutral plane much like perry reflex?

Perry reflex doesn't do anything to the neutral axis, but you are correct that sinew lowers the belly stresses by shifting the NA towards the belly.

Mark