Author Topic: Not buying it on leatherwall  (Read 13404 times)

Offline bassman

Not buying it on leatherwall
« on: December 02, 2020, 09:17:44 pm »
 Guys on Leatherwall are not buying 190, or more fps at 10 Gpp. with wooden bows. Some names on here have come to my mind, so how many of you bowyers on here have truely built bows that have met that criteria, or numbers?  The thread started ,because a gentleman ask what speeds we were getting out of 40 lb bows. His was a fiberglass lam bow that he was getting 150 fps with a 416 gr. arrow at 28 inches of draw. Brad Smith ,and I made them aware of the fact that some wooden bows numbers those numbers, but are not typical of wooden bows, but that it has  been done, and that is why I asked the question.

Offline scp

Re: Not buying it on leatherwall
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2020, 11:26:43 pm »
Good question. My best self-bows are around high 160 FPS on a very good day. But I do believe that bamboo backed bows or high quality Yew or Osage bows can top 180 FPS. My main objective is 180 FPS with a self-bow from a common stave. Hence the search for the best design, for each particular stave.

A lot depends on the quality of the shooting machines or the release by best shooters. I think even average fiberglass recurve bows will easily go over 160 FPS with a proper shooting machine. We need more of the designated shooter/testers like Badger. I will rely on their opinions.

bownarra

« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2020, 11:45:32 pm »
Scp - just make a shooting machine.
I've hit 190 with my sinew backed recurves r/d design.
Bear in mind that a lot of those glass bows are made to last forever - they are not optimized for the highest fps numbers. They are made to be able to take a lot of 'abuse'.
My fastest glass bow designs have hit 190 at 10 gpp. I've gone a bit faster by swapping glass backs for 90% unidirectional carbon lams I make myself. Glass is better in compression.
40#, 50# it doesn't make any difference, match the arrow to the bow.

Offline scp

« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2020, 01:04:44 am »
I have made a couple of simple shooting machines. My beat-up fiberglass bows shoot about 160 FPS on them. A new fiberglass recurve and an old compound bow shoot around 180 FPS on them. My own self-bows from ordinary staves shoot around 150 FPS. I think I can tinker with my "primitive"machines to shoot a little faster, say by 5 FPS. No interesting news here. But this can be a good average starting point. If you are making self-bows that shoot 170 FPS, you are doing great and definitely above average. Just a humble opinion after 10 years of on and off dabbling.

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2020, 06:39:37 am »
I don’t have a chrono. I have only shoot one of my bows through one. It was my first hunting bow and the third selfbow I ever attempted.

It was a overbuilt HHB straight limb bow. I had it tillered to 50 lbs at 25”. I was shooting 595 grain red osier arrows and short drawing to slightly less than 24”. It had a thick b-55 string and it was my pride and joy. I shoot it a lot. I shoot it a real lot. It held up very well as it was so overbuilt and at my draw not over stressed.

Right before hunting season my brother wanted me to show it to his compound buddy that owns a bow shop. This fella had made a few lam bow many years ago.

He was very interested in my bow and even more so in my arrows. He had to weigh them and glean as much data as he could from everything. He watched my arrow flight and thought my bow seemed pretty fast. He had a chrono and asked if I would like to shoot through it.

I shot three times through it. A very consistent 129 FPS every time. I was actually very disappointed with those numbers at the time.

I posted a thread here asking if that was enough? I planned on hunting with it. Pearl said “you should have never shot it through the chrono. You knew before you tested it that it was up to the task”

I took her outside and shoot her a bunch more. My target was on the gravel driveway and would slide a little with the impact of each one of those 595 grain arrows. I put the numbers out of my head. I was going to find out for myself if it was good enough. Pearl was right. I knew she was up to the task before I saw that number.

I haven’t shot one of my bows through a chrono since. I would like to though. I don’t know if I would be disappointed or pleasantly surprised. I do know I wouldn’t let whatever the number was make me think it wasn’t enough. A couple weeks after that day I got a double lung pass through on a nice little six point buck. That put so much confidence in my equipment. Muck more than if that number had been 190.

I’m not a big numbers guy. I am curious though. Not curious enough to buy a chrono though. I’m pretty sure I have picked up some speed since then. 190? I don’t know. I still have a short draw. I might have to go visit my brothers buddy again.

Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline HH~

« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2020, 06:51:46 am »
@ 40lbs. . . .  190fps ??

Maybe Mulberry or yew but that would have to be an arrow right at 400grns @28 for a pure selfbow without backing. Most woods just carry to much mass on limbs for that. Even 160fps is screaming.

Not playing chrono games with my bows anyway I know 100fps with sharp point prolly kill Buffalo.

HH~
MAFA: Makin America Free Again

Long is the road, Hard is the way.

Mother Gue never raised such a foolish child. . . .

Readily will I display the intestinal fortitude required to fight onto the Ranger objective and complete the mission though I be the lone survivor. RLTW

Offline simson

• stonehill-primitive-bows
    • stonehill-primitive-bows
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2020, 07:05:09 am »
I don't own a chrony, sometimes I can use one from a friend. So I have data only from a few of my bows.
I never reached 190 fps per average, but 187 with two bows. One was a mild 5 curve, the other a reflexed (at working limb) static recurve.
I think 190 is reachable, when longevity is not in the foreground.
Simon
Bavaria, Germany

Offline Mo_coon-catcher

« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2020, 07:34:18 am »
It seems like DC makes yew reflex deflex bows that come in around that number quite often. I know that Lebhuntfish built one a few years ago that topped 190 called The Fury.
I havnt had any hit 190 fps yet. My closest I have had was about 175fps. That was a black locust recurve that I was only pulling to 27” instead of 28”, so probably would’ve been over 180fps. But my average for a straight limbed black locust is right about 160fps with a 10gpp at a 26” draw. Some bows are a little faster and some are a little slower. I never know what a bow will do until I finally fling an arrow.

Kyle

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2020, 07:56:31 am »
What I have found is none of these folk mention draw length, only poundage. If the draw length is thrown in the mix the playing field levels out.

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2020, 08:03:44 am »
I have done it with 2 recurve self-bows, that I can remember, and with several laminated, again recurves.  I have also hit mid 180's with sinew backed bows using dacron strings, once again recurves.  Doesn't really matter if they believe or not, doesn't change anything
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline bassman

« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2020, 09:03:13 am »
Doesn't change any thing, but when  a man calls it bull shit in a normal thread discussion it is like he is calling you a liar, and that is the reason I asked the question .I already knew the answer. Just wanted to bring it to light. I have the highest respect for your bow building along with others on here, but the most impressive item you have ever posted on here is your wife's harp in my opinion. I have built upright stick basses, and guitar basses from scratch, and know what it takes to build a quality professional instrument. Just had to mention that even though it is off subject.

Offline scp

« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2020, 09:14:08 am »
When I shoot my bows by hand through a chrono, I often get almost 20 FPS less than shooting with a shooting machine. This is probably because I simply draw only 25 to 26 inches by hand instead of 28 inches on the machine and I also fail to shoot with the fast power stroke release. I must have gotten really timid after breaking several bows while shooting and hitting the chrono guide wires a couple of times, over the years. I suspect most people cannot get the proper result from a chrono without a shooting machine, at least not without a lot of practice.

Offline scp

« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2020, 09:55:22 am »
I shot three times through it. A very consistent 129 FPS every time. I was actually very disappointed with those numbers at the time.

With your double lung pass through, your overbuilt bow probably shoots at least low 160 FPS with a 10 GPP arrow, if tested with a shooting machine. Over 170 FPS if drawn to 28 inches.

Offline DC

« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2020, 10:36:06 am »
Selfbow or backed bow?

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2020, 10:48:22 am »
    just wouldnt worry bout that site over there, dont take it personal,,we believe you,, :D