Author Topic: Not buying it on leatherwall  (Read 13686 times)

Offline PatM

Re: Not buying it on leatherwall
« Reply #15 on: December 03, 2020, 11:11:56 am »
Selfbow or backed bow?

The statement was generalized as "wood bows"  and it was clarified that your bows were  bamboo backed yew.

The doubt seemed more towards natural material bows of any sort.

Offline nakedfeet

• AJD Archery & Outdoors
« Reply #16 on: December 03, 2020, 11:39:06 am »
His was a fiberglass lam bow that he was getting 150 fps with a 416 gr. arrow at 28 inches of draw.

I suspect that a lot of the issue is with people not knowing their actual draw length, and poor releases.

So many people think they're drawing 28" when they're only drawing 26", or less.

Likewise, some of the higher numbers you'll see are from people who are overdrawing.

That's not even going into the fact that if we simply measure draw length to the back of the bow, most bows have handles that are different thicknesses. So a 28" draw length might not equal a 28" draw length. This is why the old AMO draw length standard existed -- but it seems most people who post here or who make selfbows/all-wood bows don't use that standard (and it's not "official" anymore).

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #17 on: December 03, 2020, 11:54:00 am »
yes lots of variables, but very interesting,,,I enjoy the post here and attitude of the wood bow guys, and the sharing of knowledge,, its great

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #18 on: December 03, 2020, 12:01:07 pm »
I agree nakedfeet. When you ask someone what there draw is. Most times they overstate it. I think especially if you practice odd shooting angles like simulated hunting shoots you will probably find even shorter draws.

Sometimes I think when we get comfortable shooting. We even draw to a weight and not necessarily a length.

I do think some people are shooting machines though.lol  really advanced ones.

Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #19 on: December 03, 2020, 12:20:26 pm »
Interesting thread!  Not many folks carry a shooting machine hunting, though (lol)!  I think draw length has to be measured on a "live" bow and a measured arrow, and it may change due to any number of variables.
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #20 on: December 03, 2020, 01:14:28 pm »
My friend Joe went to Mo Jam years ago where they had a bow speed contest, he had a sinew backed bow and had come from a vacation the southwest a day or so before the contest and blew everyone away with the speed of his bow.

Tim Baker brought a bow for the test that was sealed in plastic, I think it was a pecan bow. When he shot it he jumped forward sharply on his release, he won his class as well with his obviously very dry bow and unconventional shooting style.

All of the above memories are at least 20 years old and being a forgetful old man my recollections could be a bit off.

Offline bassman

« Reply #21 on: December 03, 2020, 01:30:35 pm »
"190's with self,and lam wood bows" is the quote from my reply. That was on the Leather wall.

Offline Selfbowman

« Reply #22 on: December 03, 2020, 02:02:01 pm »
Ok I will shoot my my selfbow as best I can at 28-3/4 “ . It sent the arrow 239yds. Don’t know how fast that is but it was 20 yds short of a 21st century 50# glass bow arrows with in ten grains . Not sure of draw length of the glass bow .
Well I'll say!!  Osage is king!!

Offline DC

« Reply #23 on: December 03, 2020, 02:05:07 pm »
I'm waiting for some independent testing. I'm very confident in my results but anyone can screw up ;D

Offline Selfbowman

« Reply #24 on: December 03, 2020, 02:33:45 pm »
Slow release  178-179-180. The snap release I use at flats. 188 -214-187 let’s throw out the 214

Offline Selfbowman

« Reply #25 on: December 03, 2020, 02:40:02 pm »
The arrow laying in front of the bow is what I used. It was shot at the flats.  Don’t know if this proves anything. But that’s me and a crono that I hardly ever use. This recurve is close to tiller . We will check it. Arvin

Offline Selfbowman

« Reply #26 on: December 03, 2020, 02:46:26 pm »
The recurve weighs in at27.8oz. The longbow weighs the n at26.7 oz probably 2-3 oz to be removed from handle.

Offline Selfbowman

« Reply #27 on: December 03, 2020, 02:48:20 pm »
I think the long bow will hold it’s on against the recurve. We’ll see

Offline PatM

« Reply #28 on: December 03, 2020, 03:01:40 pm »
How much do the curves work and how were they attained? 

Offline Dances with squirrels

« Reply #29 on: December 03, 2020, 03:28:31 pm »
Bassman, just keep in mind those guys that are casting doubt or finding it hard to believe on the LW have a very limited experience with all-wood bows, if any, let alone fast ones. Certainly not worth getting worked up about.
Straight wood may make a better bow, but crooked wood makes a better bowyer