Author Topic: Not buying it on leatherwall  (Read 13684 times)

Offline bassman

Re: Not buying it on leatherwall
« Reply #30 on: December 03, 2020, 04:25:19 pm »
Not worked up at all squirrel. Your right they are in to shooting glass bows ,and carbon bows,and super recurves with fancy exotic woods, and ILF bows . Rarely visiting primitive, and not read up on self,and wood lam bows, and what they really are capable of.. I own a dozen ,and half  vintage glass bows, and a  carbon ILF recurve. I like bows period. I shoot a compound that was gifted to me by my brother in the back yard also, with a release, and sights, and enjoy shooting it. I shoot it once in a while indoors in the winter league when I want to stay inside the yellow on a blue faced target. It is all good to me.  I think they have a better understanding now that they have been made aware as what a hunk of wood is capable of, or at least I hope so.

Offline Dances with squirrels

« Reply #31 on: December 03, 2020, 04:49:56 pm »
Perhaps. I hope so too. A selfbow is a serious weapon. But I fear many traditional archers just don't believe it. There have been years I've filled all of my Pa deer tags with a selfbow. If I hunt hard enough, smart enough, they deliver.
Straight wood may make a better bow, but crooked wood makes a better bowyer

Offline HH~

« Reply #32 on: December 03, 2020, 05:49:22 pm »
If you can shoot your selfbow as good as any (someone else) built glass bow. Question is why shoot the other bow.

Simple fact is when hunting gets tuff most will reach for the glass. If it stays tuff, the ML comes out. It gets cold and really hard the bangstick comes out the gunsafe. Which is fine. The babies must get fed and hunting is hunting.

Ive shot all the above and still do. None come close to placing a arrow deep into the vitals or your quarry with a good blood spor track to the animal.

HH~
MAFA: Makin America Free Again

Long is the road, Hard is the way.

Mother Gue never raised such a foolish child. . . .

Readily will I display the intestinal fortitude required to fight onto the Ranger objective and complete the mission though I be the lone survivor. RLTW

Offline Selfbowman

« Reply #33 on: December 03, 2020, 06:06:25 pm »
Pat dry heat on the recuves if I understand and I will string it and put a pic on if that would help.
Well I'll say!!  Osage is king!!

Offline PatM

« Reply #34 on: December 03, 2020, 06:07:48 pm »
That should help them work  a little without pulling out over time.

Offline Selfbowman

« Reply #35 on: December 03, 2020, 06:09:20 pm »
Ok unstrung.

Offline Selfbowman

« Reply #36 on: December 03, 2020, 06:10:18 pm »
Strung

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #37 on: December 03, 2020, 06:25:38 pm »
Looks nice Arvin.  I would really like to see a full draw.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #38 on: December 03, 2020, 07:49:08 pm »
I had doubts expressed about the speed of my bows many years ago by a glass bow builder by the name of Steve Quinton, this was around 2005~2006.  Steve was, at the time, a well know builder with a reputation for building fast bows, his company name was Ibex Bows.  He suggested a trade, one of his for one of mine.  He tested mine after he got my bow, no surprise there.  He got back to me after the testing and exclaimed that my bow was indeed faster than his.  Steve stopped building glass bows not long after, mainly because he was tired of working with toxic materials, and started building wood bows
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline Badger

« Reply #39 on: December 03, 2020, 07:51:22 pm »
My friend Joe went to Mo Jam years ago where they had a bow speed contest, he had a sinew backed bow and had come from a vacation the southwest a day or so before the contest and blew everyone away with the speed of his bow.

Tim Baker brought a bow for the test that was sealed in plastic, I think it was a pecan bow. When he shot it he jumped forward sharply on his release, he won his class as well with his obviously very dry bow and unconventional shooting style.

All of the above memories are at least 20 years old and being a forgetful old man my recollections could be a bit off.

Eric, I tested that same Tim Baker bow and got 172 out of it. I think at mojam he got 167 or something like that. At the Mojam contest you were allowed to draw as far as you wanted, Uisng that same bow of Tims and stretching out to 31" I was hitting in the 190's. The arrow would have been around 2 grains per pound lighter at that longer draw length.

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #40 on: December 03, 2020, 08:18:36 pm »
I was there,, I dont remember winning anything,,, (-S

Offline sleek

« Reply #41 on: December 03, 2020, 08:25:25 pm »
What I have found is none of these folk mention draw length, only poundage. If the draw length is thrown in the mix the playing field levels out.

I've been saying this for years and wish more people would say it too. Thank you for mentioning it.
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline scp

« Reply #42 on: December 03, 2020, 11:02:52 pm »
What I have found is none of these folk mention draw length, only poundage. If the draw length is thrown in the mix the playing field levels out.
I've been saying this for years and wish more people would say it too. Thank you for mentioning it.

So far as I know, draw length is assumed to be 28 inches unless specified otherwise. The draw length is assumed to be measured from the back of the bow.

bownarra

« Reply #43 on: December 04, 2020, 02:25:32 am »

Mine were at 27" draw. As I said poundage doesn't really matter, the whole system has to be in harmony.

bownarra

« Reply #44 on: December 04, 2020, 02:26:34 am »
I have done it with 2 recurve self-bows, that I can remember, and with several laminated, again recurves.  I have also hit mid 180's with sinew backed bows using dacron strings, once again recurves.  Doesn't really matter if they believe or not, doesn't change anything

Exactly right :)