Author Topic: Not buying it on leatherwall  (Read 13866 times)

Offline sleek

Re: Not buying it on leatherwall
« Reply #45 on: December 04, 2020, 04:04:55 am »
With a 50 pound bow and a 450 grain arrow pulling on 26 inches, I was getting 184 fps, and feel like I can do better if I can get a better piece of wood. Thats with my short recurve design.  With my flat bow, im regularly in the mid 170s at 10gpp.
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #46 on: December 04, 2020, 08:01:11 am »
Unfortunately I only draw about 25" in normal shooting but can stretch out to 27" or even further. My finding is I get about a 10 fps increase for each extra inch I draw. Each inch also adds 3 or 4 pounds to the bow so it is a slippery slope getting precise measurements shot to show on any bow.

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #47 on: December 04, 2020, 08:19:54 am »
Just to be clear, I always tested my bows at a 28" draw, I would use arrows that prevented an overdraw, but I also used a fairly low brace height.  The only exception was the HHB recurve I called White Lightning.  It was tillered to a 27" draw and that is what I tested it at.  It was getting low 190's but I think I was using an arrow of just under 10 GPP.

I remember Steve, the glass bow guy, telling me that glass bows almost never pulled to the claimed draw-weight.  Maybe this guy's bow is actually a lower draw-weight than he thinks it is.
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline Selfbowman

« Reply #48 on: December 04, 2020, 08:48:36 am »
Don’t know if you guys have shot slow glass bows with shock but I have. Even made the one. It’s all about design and set with wood bows. That recurve I’m building come off the caul with the tips 3” tips  in front of the handle. It has lost 1” already . That happened at about 23” of draw on the tiller tree. 50# @25 right now . Sanding the outer limbs carefully and increased the length at fades about 1/2” on each side as  a good friend in California suggested. If it don’t work I can always blame him right.😁😁😁😁 it’s still at 2” right now at 50#. Bj I will do your pic when I finally get the bow tillered. Arvin
Well I'll say!!  Osage is king!!

Offline bassman

« Reply #49 on: December 04, 2020, 09:30:25 am »
No here checked all of that. As a matter of fact he was pulling that bow 29 to 29.5 inches draw. Right now I have a Shakesphere x 18 45 lb bow ,and a  Browning Nomad that is 45 lbs. Same draw length. I checked the weights at 28 in draw, and they are 45lbs, each. I have chronied every bow I own including all my self bows, and backed bows. His bow is a Shakesphere. With the same 10 strand B55 string, and brace ,and tuned with a bare shaft ,same arrow the browning Nomad  shoots on average 10 fps faster, smoother to draw, and no stack,. Both bows are 52 inches long. It is just a better design,and a better bow over all. The only glass bow that has failed me over the years was a Shakesphere Kaibab. My brother also broke one. We shot them hard for 2 years. They both broke at the fades on the top limb. Not a fan of that company.

Offline ibex

« Reply #50 on: December 04, 2020, 11:17:11 pm »
 I don't post much here, but I saw that on the Leatherwall. I doubted Marc's bow speeds a long while back, and he sent me one he called Sinbad. It made an immediate believer out of me! Steve
𝙄𝙩'𝙨 𝙣𝙞𝙘𝙚 𝙩𝙤 𝙗𝙚 𝙞𝙢𝙥𝙤𝙧𝙩𝙖𝙣𝙩, 𝙗𝙪𝙩 𝙞𝙩'𝙨 𝙢𝙤𝙧𝙚 𝙞𝙢𝙥𝙤𝙧𝙩𝙖𝙣𝙩 𝙩𝙤 𝙗𝙚 𝙣𝙞𝙘𝙚.

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #51 on: December 05, 2020, 07:04:55 am »
I don't post much here, but I saw that on the Leatherwall. I doubted Marc's bow speeds a long while back, and he sent me one he called Sinbad. It made an immediate believer out of me! Steve

Marc helped me in more ways than I can say. His bows are tillered better than anyone’s I’ve seen. He doesn’t seem like the  type of person who would brag or falsely overstate his work. I don’t have any of his bows, but I wish I did. I can see just looking at them that they are high performance well made and I suspect that they are pretty durable yet to. I’m thinking he pushed the limits and settled in where he could safely look over the edge without slipping
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline Bob Barnes

« Reply #52 on: December 05, 2020, 07:25:05 am »
white lightening indeed shot 190+... I wish I still had the chrony pics, but here is a profile picture after LOTS of shooting, and a tip picture.  Marc makes the fastest bows I have ever shot.  I took White Lightning to MoJam and let everyone shoot it, so there are lots of guys that know it first hand.  The last picture is an example of Marc's design profile...total speed and power.  :)
Seems like common sense isn't very common any more...

Offline scp

« Reply #53 on: December 05, 2020, 07:50:08 am »
Thanks for the pictures of White Lightening. What a bow! It appears that reflexed recurve is the way to go for speed. I wonder why fiberglass recurve makers are not doing reflexed recurves. Come to think of it, I do have one old Bear Archery fiberglass bow of similar style. It is so thin, narrow and light as to make me feel almost uncomfortable to pull to full draw. Does anyone here have the full spec of White Lightening handy?

Offline Selfbowman

« Reply #54 on: December 05, 2020, 08:02:17 am »
Bob could you text me a pic of the static tips side belly  and back? Thanks in advance .
Well I'll say!!  Osage is king!!

Offline bassman

« Reply #55 on: December 05, 2020, 08:02:41 am »
Good thread,and lots of replies.

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #56 on: December 05, 2020, 08:11:39 am »
Actually Bob it was White Lightning 2 that I was referring to and it was made out of HHB.  That one is Elm and I didn't chronograph that one

Here's a couple pics of the HHB bow plus some chrony results

Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline Bob Barnes

« Reply #57 on: December 05, 2020, 08:42:05 am »
thanks so much Marc... awesome bow.   :OK
Seems like common sense isn't very common any more...

Offline sleek

« Reply #58 on: December 05, 2020, 08:44:37 am »
Whats the length and stats on white lightning?
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline ibex

« Reply #59 on: December 05, 2020, 10:10:02 am »
 I shot Marc's Sinbad bow thousands of times over 30", and have had 2 others that he built for me that took the same abuse while practicing and hunting. Mark Introduced me to my friend Steve Gardner, who has handed me too many fast bows to count.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2020, 10:14:25 am by ibex »
𝙄𝙩'𝙨 𝙣𝙞𝙘𝙚 𝙩𝙤 𝙗𝙚 𝙞𝙢𝙥𝙤𝙧𝙩𝙖𝙣𝙩, 𝙗𝙪𝙩 𝙞𝙩'𝙨 𝙢𝙤𝙧𝙚 𝙞𝙢𝙥𝙤𝙧𝙩𝙖𝙣𝙩 𝙩𝙤 𝙗𝙚 𝙣𝙞𝙘𝙚.