Author Topic: Not buying it on leatherwall  (Read 13864 times)

Offline Allyn T

• I'm addicted to information
Re: Not buying it on leatherwall
« Reply #90 on: December 07, 2020, 08:33:01 am »
If your looking to improve performance on a design all that matters is the unit give consistent readings. That way if you make a change and that bow is shooting slower or faster compared to your other bows you know if it helped or not.
In the woods I find my peace

Offline scp

« Reply #91 on: December 07, 2020, 08:43:49 am »
It would be good enough for most people, especially for hobbyists, to know the ballpark figure and relative speed of their bows.

I have a chrono, but I don't mind the margin of error of several FPS. If one cannot provide exact numbers against certain products, one is not arguing from actual strength, but just spreading a propaganda.

Offline PatM

« Reply #92 on: December 07, 2020, 08:49:24 am »
Tel ya what, Ive shot thru a chrony since God was a Corporal. You want a good unit, get an Oehler 35 pay yer $ or use a $100 cheap chit and believe what you want. Simple as that.

Go to Oehler.com pay up or use junk and swear your stuff shoots rockets. I dont care, Dont waste my time shooting arrows thru a chronograph.

Shawn~

This is about arrows through a chrono though.

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #93 on: December 07, 2020, 02:45:12 pm »
User error.

HH~

Pretty sure that's what I said  (lol)
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline HH~

« Reply #94 on: December 07, 2020, 03:16:37 pm »

I have seen Chrono's do every conceivable thing over the years. I've seen Oehlers give crazy readings, really nutty ones. First you have to screens correct for light angle. Keep them in good order. Then, we always would take a good .22 Rf olympic rifle with to Palma matches. Set up the chrony a 34 or 35 and put a string of Eley Red or Black Box thru it. If was off by more than 5fps we knew how to adjust it and reshoot.

While yer surfing for two click answers to base your theory facts on check out some LONG RANGE shooter articles, there's only about 40yrs worth showing fast and slow readings. Prolly will help you figger out how to set and use a good Chronograph and there are some great ones but you have to know WTH yer doing with any of em in setting it up.

https://www.snipershide.com/shooting/threads/oehler-35p-thoughts-review.51451/

HH~

Purty sure what I said.

Shawn~
MAFA: Makin America Free Again

Long is the road, Hard is the way.

Mother Gue never raised such a foolish child. . . .

Readily will I display the intestinal fortitude required to fight onto the Ranger objective and complete the mission though I be the lone survivor. RLTW

bownarra

« Reply #95 on: December 08, 2020, 12:14:00 am »
Come on guys...lets kiss and make up :)

bownarra

« Reply #96 on: December 08, 2020, 12:19:25 am »
Marc seeing those pictures of your speed demon recurves again has rekindled my fire to make one like yours. I remember first seeing them in TBB and was like whoo check the profiles on that haha.....
So I've just found some superb elm billets i've had stashed away for at least 10 years....roughed them out and will be recurving and splicing them today.  I will post my journey trying to replicate your incredible bow/s WL1 and 2 ;)
I also have some hop hornbeam that i'll cast my eye over and see if there is a recurve in it.

Offline Dances with squirrels

« Reply #97 on: December 08, 2020, 04:37:42 am »
Something special about makers of primitive bows fighting over the best modern technology to judge them.  (-P
Straight wood may make a better bow, but crooked wood makes a better bowyer

Offline HH~

« Reply #98 on: December 08, 2020, 06:57:53 am »
When yer done be sure to run em thru a good unit not some ChiCom junk. Oehler, made right here in America First, but you gotta reach in that pocket and pull out that green stuff for one.

Shawn~
MAFA: Makin America Free Again

Long is the road, Hard is the way.

Mother Gue never raised such a foolish child. . . .

Readily will I display the intestinal fortitude required to fight onto the Ranger objective and complete the mission though I be the lone survivor. RLTW

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #99 on: December 08, 2020, 07:36:31 am »
Marc seeing those pictures of your speed demon recurves again has rekindled my fire to make one like yours. I remember first seeing them in TBB and was like whoo check the profiles on that haha.....
So I've just found some superb elm billets i've had stashed away for at least 10 years....roughed them out and will be recurving and splicing them today.  I will post my journey trying to replicate your incredible bow/s WL1 and 2 ;)
I also have some hop hornbeam that i'll cast my eye over and see if there is a recurve in it.

If you can get your hands on some high quality Elm it will work as well and in some cases better than the Ironwood.  Ironwood can be a pain to bend in the recurves sometimes, I've never had a problem with Elm
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline mmattockx

« Reply #100 on: December 08, 2020, 08:48:50 am »
Something special about makers of primitive bows fighting over the best modern technology to judge them.  (-P

Nice to see I'm not the only one enjoying the irony in all this.

Mark

Offline Bob Barnes

« Reply #101 on: December 08, 2020, 09:53:04 am »
the real irony is that the thread was about people on the LW questioning selfbows...then this...we're supposed to know better, but it is 2020.  I hope everything is better in 2021.  A chronograph is just a tool to compare my bows if I want to do that.  Mine are made in the USA, give equal readings, and will tell me if a new bow is as fast as an old bow...I can do the same thing by just shooting a 10gpp arrow at my 200 yard fence from both, and it's easier as well as way more fun.  Let's just keep making bows that we like and call it good.   (SH)
Seems like common sense isn't very common any more...

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #102 on: December 08, 2020, 11:08:47 am »
I'll drink to that, Bob!  Ta Douc Ardu! :BB (SH)
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline sleek

« Reply #103 on: December 08, 2020, 11:36:43 am »
I'm not on leatherwall, what's it about anyway?
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline Swampman

• Primitive Archer subscription number PM109299
« Reply #104 on: December 08, 2020, 11:47:01 am »
the real irony is that the thread was about people on the LW questioning selfbows...then this...we're supposed to know better, but it is 2020.  I hope everything is better in 2021.  A chronograph is just a tool to compare my bows if I want to do that.  Mine are made in the USA, give equal readings, and will tell me if a new bow is as fast as an old bow...I can do the same thing by just shooting a 10gpp arrow at my 200 yard fence from both, and it's easier as well as way more fun.  Let's just keep making bows that we like and call it good.   (SH)

If we had a "like button" on this forum, I would have liked this!