Author Topic: SMALL GAME ARROW HEADS  (Read 34403 times)

bow kid44

SMALL GAME ARROW HEADS
« on: May 03, 2008, 10:51:07 pm »
what kind of arrow heads do you use for small game hunting ??? espielly squirrels.

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
Re: SMALL GAME ARROW HEADS
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2008, 12:04:39 am »
I myself....wouldn't Hunt a Squirrel for nothing....but for Rabbits.....Quail ....and other Small Game....I either use 357 casings with the Primers knocked out...and a small Nail put in it.....them fit it to your Shaft...or just use Field Points
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline Coo-wah-chobee

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2008, 12:12:46 am »
Mike are ya a tree rat lover ? Ole' "one eye " has ya in his feed lane huh ? ;D........bob

Offline El Destructo

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2008, 12:20:09 am »
Mike are ya a tree rat lover ? Ole' "one eye " has ya in his feed lane huh ? ;D........bob

I don't know what it is Bob....but I have always had a soft Spot for Tree Rats...they came and eat from My Hands...sit with Me in the Tree Stand eating Sunflower Seeds with Me during Bow Season.....I don't know .....I used to Shoot them for a Quarter when I was a Kid....the Old Italian Man down the Road from from Our Homestead ....would give Me a Nickel for every Black Bird.....Quarter for a Squirrel....and 3 shiny Dimes for a Robin.....he loved Robin's....and they were the State Bird....so they were worth more!!!!!!!

I have nothing against People Shooting them...aint no Tree Hugger.....just don't Hunt what I wont eat!!
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline sailordad

« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2008, 12:25:46 am »
yup me too, wont kill what i wont eat.

a plate full of rat just never did look good to me.thats just nasty.
unlike fried chickens feet and headcheese,thems good eats there.
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline El Destructo

« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2008, 12:31:09 am »

Yer about as Messed up as I am....I grew up with Cornish Grandparents on my Fathers Side....and Ojibwe on my Mothers.....I mean to tell ya....them Brits will eat about anything!!!! And I grew to like most of it......now look what you did.....We went from Arrow Point to Plates of Food in 5 posts!!!!!!
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline david w.

« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2008, 12:34:41 am »

if you had our tree rat it recipe it would change your opinion squirrel is one of my favorite foods ;D
« Last Edit: May 04, 2008, 12:40:58 am by david w. »
These pretzels are making me thirsty.

if it dont go fast...chrome it - El Destructo

kdub

« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2008, 01:30:08 am »
Whenever Ive sot them with a fieldpoint they just run around with the dern thing in em( not to be vulgar)The last time I shot one, I hit it with a broad headd thru the head, lucky shot. The broad head is the way to go, just don't use expensive ones, I lost a magnus stinger in a tree on one of them lil buggers.  That missed shot cost me 10 bucks.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2008, 09:15:35 am by kdub »

Offline huntertrapper

« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2008, 08:49:58 am »
yeah no field points for small game, trade points and blunts with nails in them...
Modern Day Tramp

Offline Ryan_Gill_HuntPrimitive

« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2008, 05:58:16 pm »
smooth blunts so they dont stick in the tree, i never had a problem killing them with a simple no cut blunt...but i do hunt with heavy bows even for small game. say the 60-65lbs range, incase i come across an armadillo or hog or something harder to get an arrow through.- Ryan
Formerly "twistedlimbs"
Gill's Primitive Archery and HuntPrimitive

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2008, 07:08:17 pm »
I have tried many small game points and the best I have found so far is by far the cheapest and easiest. Taper the end of your shaft and thread a hex nut(nutter) on to the taper. When the nut bottoms out add a few drops of super glue and you are done. You get both penetration and a lot of shock.       Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline huntertrapper

« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2008, 11:36:38 pm »
ill have to give it a try mr pat... sounds easy and it wont dull or break in your quiver.
Modern Day Tramp

Offline david w.

« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2008, 11:55:39 pm »
i love nutters just at Pat desribed i shoot them at blackbirds in mine and my neighbors yard >:D but i will squirrel hunt with them this fall
These pretzels are making me thirsty.

if it dont go fast...chrome it - El Destructo

Offline huntertrapper

« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2008, 12:23:07 am »
hey dave you been after black birds too? i have fired prob. fifty shots, havent got one yet, a might close but no hits, they are smart little buggers. they are fun to stalk.
Modern Day Tramp

Offline 1/2primitive

• Bible believing Christian
« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2008, 12:45:13 am »
I've tried hunting those blackbirds, but unfortunately, they stay mostly in the 'civilized' areas, making them a bit difficult, to say the least.  :D
     Sean
Dallas/Fort Worth Tx.