Author Topic: SMALL GAME ARROW HEADS  (Read 34372 times)

Offline recurve shooter

Re: SMALL GAME ARROW HEADS
« Reply #15 on: May 06, 2008, 01:38:50 am »
robins beat all. followed by rabit, dove, tree rat, coon,possum, so on. i should know. at 6 ft 5 300 pounds i put away some grocerys. ;D

back to the original question, i like judo points. they dont stick in trees or go under grass, but the wires work like a broadhead on soft small game. >:D
lets just shoot it

Offline Titan_Bow

« Reply #16 on: May 06, 2008, 02:24:21 pm »
I shot probably 40 rabbits between last year and this year, and I quit using judos on them.  I ended up hitting alot of them in the rear hams, and the judo would go all the way through.  The wire arms would drag dirt and hair all the way through the wound channel and it was almost impossible to get it all out.  I started using just plain old steel blunts, and they didnt do that at all.  Now I mainly hunt rabbits out on the prairie, so the blunt does a good enough job of keeping the arrow from being lost, and the wound channel stays clean.  Also, I found out last year, that jackrabbits dont like getting hit with judos, they tend to run 2 miles away and they dont give your arrow back :-) 
"Treat the earth well: it was not given to you by

Offline recurve shooter

« Reply #17 on: May 06, 2008, 08:21:33 pm »
lol, never shot a jackrabit. titan bow, what poundage bow you shooting and at what range? im sceard to shoot blunts off of my 45 lb long cuz im sceard they wont kill small game.
lets just shoot it

Offline Titan_Bow

« Reply #18 on: May 06, 2008, 08:24:38 pm »
I shot them with a 60# selfbow, and a 53# Wes Wallace longbow.  Both bows would usually push the judo completely through, impaling the rabbit in the middle of the arrow.  My steel blunts do basically the same thing.  I shoot a 600-650gr arrow.  Most shots are close range, 25 yards max

Offline david w.

« Reply #19 on: May 06, 2008, 11:46:51 pm »
hey dave you been after black birds too? i have fired prob. fifty shots, havent got one yet, a might close but no hits, they are smart little buggers. they are fun to stalk.

i have grazed them but not actually hit one yet.i have fired alot of shots but havent connected yet :-\. i will though soon.

they are very smart. they always bust me. there is little cover in my yard so i quickly turn the corner and fling it ;D
sometimes they taunt me. they will land on my neighbors fence and just sit there daring me.
These pretzels are making me thirsty.

if it dont go fast...chrome it - El Destructo

Offline recurve shooter

« Reply #20 on: May 07, 2008, 12:04:54 am »
wow titon. dead bunny. how can i make some blunts for my arras?
lets just shoot it

Offline hawkbow

• High Country Archer
« Reply #21 on: May 07, 2008, 12:21:19 am »
I hunt a lot of small game and game birds with hand made arrows. I can honestly say that although most anything tied to a shaft will kill if the shot is perfect. However the shot is not always dead on with a small and sometimes moving target. So i would encourage you young guys to shoot broadheads at everything you hunt. you can make points from wood, bone, steel ,stone ,even plastics that will kill quickly and humanely. We owe it to the prey we hunt to kill as quickly and cleanly as possible..hope this helps brothers, post some pics of those kills for all to share.. ;D Hawk   
IT IS BETTER TO LOSE WITH HONOR. THAN TO WIN THROUGH DECEPTION...

Mike "Hawk" Huston

Offline Titan_Bow

« Reply #22 on: May 07, 2008, 12:50:19 am »
Where I hunt rabbits, alot of times it spot and stalk while they are sitting right at the opening to their hole.  I shot a few last year with old broadheads I had, the arrow zipped clean through them and they darted down into their hole :-(    The thing I like about blunts is that it impales them so its harder for them to get into their hole.

Offline recurve shooter

« Reply #23 on: May 07, 2008, 07:55:23 pm »
yeah, thats healpfull. i think that i can make some sheetmetal heads.
lets just shoot it

Offline Titan_Bow

« Reply #24 on: May 07, 2008, 08:28:34 pm »
Recurve Hunter,   empty .38 casings make good blunts, and if there is a public shooting range near you, you can usually find them for free

Offline recurve shooter

« Reply #25 on: May 07, 2008, 11:26:03 pm »
cool, dont know where a range is, but i got a grandpa! ;) i'll just shoot his a few times and take the shells.
lets just shoot it

Offline NOMADIC PIRATE

« Reply #26 on: May 09, 2008, 02:41:20 pm »
This is the head I developed and being using for the past 2 years, the devastating power of the wide rubber blunt is combined with a desing to make it judo like.

I've never lost one to date, and it's very friendly to you wood shafts

With this different blunts you can match the weigth of your broadheads, 125gr, 160gr, and 190gr

...an option, if you feel you need it

NORTH SHORE, HAWAII

Offline DanaM

« Reply #27 on: May 09, 2008, 02:55:00 pm »
Thats cool Manny how about a build a long on it :)
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline Titan_Bow

« Reply #28 on: May 09, 2008, 03:25:38 pm »
That looks like a great bunny buster !    Does it cause alot of bloodshot meat if you hit 'em in the body or hams? 

bow kid44

« Reply #29 on: May 09, 2008, 10:10:37 pm »
whats the animal in the top pic  ???
i dont know what it is.