Author Topic: Does anyone prefer a stave from certain side of the tree  (Read 2952 times)

Offline bentstick54

Re: Does anyone prefer a stave from certain side of the tree
« Reply #15 on: December 23, 2020, 11:32:50 am »
Arvin, I am a born and raised Kansan. I learned long time ago, around here the theory that moss only grows on the north side of trees is pretty much bunk. A lot depends on where the tree is growing and how shaded from the sun it is from surrounding trees. Get into some shelterbelts and creek bottoms where trees are pretty thick sometimes the tree trunks don’t get a lot of sun. If it’s damp a lot moss will grow on all sides. I would go more by growth ring thickness and ratio than guessing which way the tree was facing.

Offline Selfbowman

« Reply #16 on: December 23, 2020, 12:20:19 pm »
Ok here are 5 staves one hickory on the left and the rest are Osage . All 7-8% moisture. Old mossy on far right is string straight. The next has natural reflex and bent to the side . The next is string straight. The next a dog leg with natural deflex. Please explain using these staves. Arvin
« Last Edit: December 23, 2020, 12:23:29 pm by Selfbowman »
Well I'll say!!  Osage is king!!

Offline Selfbowman

« Reply #17 on: December 23, 2020, 12:25:32 pm »
Arvin, I am a born and raised Kansan. I learned long time ago, around here the theory that moss only grows on the north side of trees is pretty much bunk. A lot depends on where the tree is growing and how shaded from the sun it is from surrounding trees. Get into some shelterbelts and creek bottoms where trees are pretty thick sometimes the tree trunks don’t get a lot of sun. If it’s damp a lot moss will grow on all sides. I would go more by growth ring thickness and ratio than guessing which way the tree was facing.

Ok good enough.

Offline Selfbowman

« Reply #18 on: December 23, 2020, 12:42:20 pm »
Next question? Can you make a bow from hickory turning the growth rings 90degrees. Growth rings across the back instead of on side of limbs?   Have not done but one other hickory bow. Arvin

Offline willie

« Reply #19 on: December 23, 2020, 02:06:30 pm »
The best incense cedar bows I made were from the top side of the branch.
Chuck.
 Was this a sinew backed bow?

@all
Btw, there are two buildalongs in the "How to and buildalong section". One by Gordon utilizing tension wood, and one by S. Laryakskoe illustrating a bow built by a Vakhov ostyak with spruce compressionwood

Offline loefflerchuck

• www.heartwoodbows.com
« Reply #20 on: December 23, 2020, 02:18:52 pm »
Yes you can Arvin. I just think it is kind of funny to take a stave and turn it into a lumbar board bow. Just like picking lumbar for a bow, the rings just need to be straight on all sides

Offline loefflerchuck

• www.heartwoodbows.com
« Reply #21 on: December 23, 2020, 02:24:20 pm »
Willie, yes. Always.

Offline willie

« Reply #22 on: December 23, 2020, 09:43:15 pm »
Next question? Can you make a bow from hickory turning the growth rings 90degrees. Growth rings across the back instead of on side of limbs?   Have not done but one other hickory bow. Arvin

of course. It would be better than a board if you the stave was split along the side that becomes the back. working an edge ringed stave makes even more sense with a wood like osage that can have crunchy earlywood. nothing needs chasing

Offline Selfbowman

« Reply #23 on: December 26, 2020, 07:06:37 am »
I don’t know if I can get that hickory stave straight . That’s why I ask . It might be easier to work the stave from 90degrees

Offline HH~

« Reply #24 on: December 26, 2020, 07:32:08 am »
I like mossy. In fact got three huge Hedge leaners that have to come out soon. Wanna say they're are 25"-30" diameters. Moss backed giants. Gettem out while beanfields are frozen.

HH~
MAFA: Makin America Free Again

Long is the road, Hard is the way.

Mother Gue never raised such a foolish child. . . .

Readily will I display the intestinal fortitude required to fight onto the Ranger objective and complete the mission though I be the lone survivor. RLTW

Offline Selfbowman

« Reply #25 on: December 26, 2020, 11:05:20 am »
Shawn you want to sell me some of those? Pm me if you do. Arvin

Offline Selfbowman

« Reply #26 on: December 26, 2020, 11:09:47 am »
Early to late right nags not ideal but stove pipe straight for sure.

Offline HH~

« Reply #27 on: December 26, 2020, 03:42:30 pm »
Arvin, if I sell you my staves then im outta wood. This was cut in 20. Going on a cutting hunt soon. See  how these three leaners pan out? Im thinking billets mostly but i really am hooked on clean matched billets. You put a leather, beaver grip on ya never know its a billet bow anyway. Plus, if one end turds out early on you just cut it away and put a new one in.

Hows that goat killer shoot? Got some zip?

Shawn~
MAFA: Makin America Free Again

Long is the road, Hard is the way.

Mother Gue never raised such a foolish child. . . .

Readily will I display the intestinal fortitude required to fight onto the Ranger objective and complete the mission though I be the lone survivor. RLTW