Author Topic: how do you fell a tree  (Read 5107 times)

Offline Eric Krewson

Re: how do you fell a tree
« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2021, 07:33:52 am »
Another thing, if you are chainsaw sharpening challenged like I am this is the tool for the job, bar none the best and easiest sharpener I have ever used, fool proof.

This is the Stihl model, these things are German made and they sell exactly the same sharpener on eBay for about half the cost of a Stihl, the only difference is the eBay one is blue. They make different sizes for different pitch chains so you have to know what size chain you have on your saw.

https://www.stihlusa.com/products/chain-saws/filing-tools/2in1file/

I have the commercial sharpener to the left of the picture but prefer my German  sharpener.

« Last Edit: January 21, 2021, 07:45:31 am by Eric Krewson »

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2021, 07:54:01 am »
I can make a tree go anywhere I want it to go but I have a system. All log chain, cable and a two ton come-a-long, no rope involved. I had planted this tree as a large sapling when I moved into the house 17 years earlier, unfortunately its root system had taken over 1/4 of my garden spot as well as my blueberry patch and muscadines, it had to go.

I had to keep it off the shop and the camper, no room for errors.

« Last Edit: January 21, 2021, 08:12:34 am by Eric Krewson »

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2021, 08:15:50 am »
Listen to bownarra. Saplings make fine bows and can be cut with hand tools. Check my site.

http://traditionalarchery101.com/saplingbow.html

Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Online Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2021, 08:42:20 am »
I've been cutting firewood and removing trees from near my house for over 40 years. About 10 years in I laid a chainsaw across my knee. Fortunately it did very little damage. I thought I was experienced enough but I lost concentration while lifting the saw, turned to see who might have called me(it was nobody) and in an instant there were copious amounts of blood running down my leg. Like I said, I was very lucky with only deep flesh wounds.
 Most trees, 2" to 6" will make good bows and most of these can be cut with a hand saw of some sort in less than 30 minutes. Use what is most comfortable for you, check your surrounding area, have a buddy near watching for you and work smartly and safely.
 I know it is one way to do it(I think the wrong way) but I have seen trees that were put under tension, like Eric shows and kick out and split lengthwise, still on the stump and can really cause you damage, especially with a running chainsaw in your hands.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Fox

« Reply #19 on: January 21, 2021, 09:45:36 am »
What Eric said.... but no one else is talking about chaps and a helmet... if your wear these you’d be much safer.... and with the two story’s of pat and Eric cutting themselves... they most likely wouldn’t have gotten to flesh if they had had chaps on. ;)
Why must we make simple things so complicated?

Offline TimBo

« Reply #20 on: January 21, 2021, 10:43:05 am »
Remember that even with hand saws, falling trees 1. are very heavy and 2. can move faster than you can react if they rebound.  We think of them as gently toppling over, but they can slam back into you easily, especially if they hang up or have larger (stronger) branches to make them spring backwards after they hit the ground.  Also, hand saws can get stuck just like chainsaws (admittedly it seems less stressful) if you do something like cutting from underneath a limb so the blade gets pinched.  You may have figured that one out from cutting wood already.  I think it would be smart to start out with a hand saw or axe and a couple of larger saplings...but still be careful! 

Offline ssrhythm

« Reply #21 on: January 21, 2021, 11:30:43 am »
All of what has been said is worthy, but I am going to just give a simple statement to always remember....

"How should I fell a tree?"

Very, very carefully and cautiously; use safety equipment, and never, ever, ever attempt to cut anything that you feel comfortable with.  If you don't feel comfortable, then go cut something easier until you do. 

I have had two friends/acquaintences that have hurt themselves horribly.  One was cutting something beyond his skill level, and the other was careless making a relatively easy pruning cut, did not approach the cut correctly, and had the saw kick back and mangle his face from above his eye, beside his nose, through his lips, and into his chin.  Chainsaws don't leave cuts that plastic surgeons can repair with minimal scarring, and he was fortunate it didn't blind him in one eye or kill him. So again....

Be careful and cautious, and don't make squirrely cuts....it aint worth the risk.

Offline scp

« Reply #22 on: January 21, 2021, 02:49:26 pm »
You can always cut your trees with a bow or crosscut saw, and an axe safer and slower, and a better way to learn to fell trees.

Yes. Just use a handsaw to fell several saplings, first, please.

Offline Nasr

« Reply #23 on: January 21, 2021, 09:29:30 pm »
I’ve felled trees that are extremely hard with hand tools 20-30 feet high. While I am nowhere near an expert on the matter I know my limits and I know this isn’t my job so I don’t have time constraints that force me to use a chainsaw. So take your time fell a tree with hand tools and be mindful of your surroundings and like people have said don’t do anything your not comfortable with start small.

Offline Nasr

« Reply #24 on: January 21, 2021, 09:30:26 pm »
Oh btw felling trees with hand tools will make your arms grow into tree trunks so that a plus.

Offline Fox

« Reply #25 on: January 21, 2021, 11:09:15 pm »
Oh btw felling trees with hand tools will make your arms grow into tree trunks so that a plus.

(lol) (lol) ;D That is for sure  )W( ;)
Why must we make simple things so complicated?

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #26 on: January 22, 2021, 12:17:41 am »
All of the above! Nobody has really conflicting views, we just said it differently! Be extremely careful - have a buddy along, and a heavy duty first aid kit, just in case!  Chain saws are very dangerous, practice on already downed trees.  There should be a number of tree trimmers in your area that might be a source as well as the university extension service. 
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #27 on: January 22, 2021, 01:16:50 am »
I cut firewood professionally in Tenn,, I would recommend not using a chainsaw unless someone mentored  you,, or you have someone experienced to teach you,,

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #28 on: January 22, 2021, 06:20:34 am »
Pay attention to the wind as well.

There are many things to learn about using and downing trees with anything. Not just chainsaw. I’ve probably come closer to losing a toe with a axe than a chainsaw.

Honestly I think it is a good practice to have someone with you no matter how much experience you have. I know people who have lost their lives trimming limbs off a tree when it rolled and pinned them. They were alone and probably still alive but couldn’t get free. Another person could have saved them.

Before you drop a tree you have to study it.

Is it leaning?

Does it have heavy branches hanging from one side.

Never underestimate the wind. Just a little breeze can completely change how a tree will fall.

If it’s leaning one way and the wind is blowing the other. Let it stand until the wind is in your favor.

That all goes for anything you use to drop it.

Also once it is safely on the ground it is not without treat.

Be careful when removing limbs that tree doesn’t roll onto you.

Try to anticipate what will happen as you cut limbs.

Should you cut from top down? Or bottom up. Usually one of the two is better. One will pinch the saw making it tight in the tree.

Keep whatever tool you use sharp.

Don’t cut into dirt and stones.

Wear proper clothing.

As Eric said don’t daydream.

Always remember and be aware of where your helper is. Don’t accidentally injure them.

Bjrogg

PS sometimes I take for granted how many things I have learned over my lifetime that others never have the opportunity to even experience.
I’m pretty sure if you find someone who makes a lot of firewood and give them some help. They will probably teach you a lot.
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline Allyn T

• I'm addicted to information
« Reply #29 on: January 22, 2021, 07:59:42 am »
I won't tell you how but I'll tell you a healthy respect of the tool is important. I was very afraid of chainsaws when I started using them and while I no longer fear them I respect the damage they can do like any power saw. Pay attention to the saw but also where your body is, also make sure your feet are stable, slipping while cutting is a no no. Last thing, if you think something is a bad idea don't do it, most of the time when I hurt myself it's cause I did something I knew I shouldn't  )W(
In the woods I find my peace