Author Topic: hickory sinew bow part 2 camo paint full draw added  (Read 5742 times)

Offline PaSteve

Re: hickory sinew bow part 2 camo paint full draw added
« Reply #60 on: January 24, 2021, 11:12:34 am »
Congratulations Tradcraftsman!  Make sure you post some pics when you receive it. Thanks Brad for your generosity. I was just telling Pat B what a great site this is and how generous the more experienced bowyers are about sharing their knowledge let alone giving bows away.
"It seems so much more obvious with bows than with other matters, that we are the guardians of the prize we seek." Dean Torges

Offline Yooper Bowyer

• formerly Tradcraftsman
« Reply #61 on: January 24, 2021, 11:54:27 am »
Thank You for your generosity to all us trad junkies.
+3

I will defiantly post photos  ;D

Offline Yooper Bowyer

• formerly Tradcraftsman
« Reply #62 on: February 01, 2021, 06:18:56 pm »
I just received the bow,  I will take it to the range and post photos on the next warm sunny day. 

I love the design and the look.  The belly looks every bit what I pictured a hickory bow to be, and the back will blend very nicely with our birches and aspens.

Thank you so much again!

P.s.  As a bowyer, I find the unbraced profile enviable. I hope I will be able to pull off that kind of work consistently some day :)
« Last Edit: February 01, 2021, 06:28:14 pm by tradcraftsman »

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #63 on: February 01, 2021, 06:30:01 pm »
glad it got there safe,, enjoy your shooting,, :)

Offline Allyn T

• I'm addicted to information
« Reply #64 on: February 01, 2021, 09:21:03 pm »
That is such an awesome thing
In the woods I find my peace

Offline Yooper Bowyer

• formerly Tradcraftsman
« Reply #65 on: February 01, 2021, 09:52:05 pm »
I really want to bring down game with it, maybe this will finally push me into getting a license :) 
First I need to go through hunter safety ('for the safety of all' it is now an online course :o).
I also need to find the time to get back in practice so I could make use of a license, not to be mention learning how to get close to animals.  Rabbit season runs for another month or two, but after that I think the only game before fall is turkey, not what I want to start on :-\

There are always those bush tailed, nut headed, foul mouthed little red devils running through the woods though >:D

I guess I'm a total rooky at this hunting business, though I did bag a stump once (lol)

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #66 on: February 02, 2021, 05:10:26 pm »
Very nice work Brad.  :)
Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #67 on: February 02, 2021, 05:49:55 pm »
thank you Pappy,,  :)

gutpile

« Reply #68 on: February 03, 2021, 04:00:40 pm »
not sure where you are located but hickory and sinew go together like peas and baked beans here.. hickory is already almost indestructible and the sinew just ads moisture to the hickory bows here... looks like you must be in a drier climate.. or hot boxed it for months..haha... gut

Offline Yooper Bowyer

• formerly Tradcraftsman
« Reply #69 on: February 03, 2021, 05:38:35 pm »
Maine summers can be brutally humid, but the winters are equally dry.  I have not had to much trouble from either, but I monitor set closely if I ever have worries. 

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #70 on: February 04, 2021, 12:00:10 am »
     Gut, im pretty sure, those bows up where you at, werent painted with my seceret formula moisture resisting camo,,gauranteed to hold up bettern baked beans,, )P(

Offline bentstick54

« Reply #71 on: February 04, 2021, 12:10:06 am »
I need your receipe for that paint Brad!  Maybe you should market it. Lol

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #72 on: February 04, 2021, 12:27:14 am »
  Im gonna make a video and be a millionare on utube,,ha ha,, :)
I did put four layers of moisture protection on the sinew,,I used to hunt in texas hot and humid and rain,,
this is what I do,1 first I spray a layer of poly on the sinew,, cause I dont want the acrylic paint moisture to get in
2 then I paint it with heavy gel medium,,thats clear,,liguitex makes it, its bout 15 dollars for 8 0z( worth it,)
3 then I paint it with the colors I wants  4 then I spray over that with poly couple 3 times,,,,, so its about four layers of protection,,,, I make sure I paint the edges real good,,where the sinew meets the edge wood,,
on this bow I sprayed the belly real good with poly, on my hunting bows, I paint the belly too,,I have heard that the heat treating on hickory makes it better for restisting moisture, I heat treated this bow as well,,so it should be fine for a winter hunting bow,,
    heck when I bow hunted in Texas it would be 90 sometimes and raining,, talk about humid and the skeeters would eat you up,,I still killed deer even spraying off on me,, if I had the wind,,
    that reminded me, Jay Massey,, one of the most respected archers of our time,,liked hickory and sinew, and he hunted in pretty harsh conditions in Alaska, if he liked it,, its gotta be a pretty good combo,,,, his book was one of the first books I ever read on archery,, its still a good read,, has a nice chapter on making sinew bows and arrows,,
« Last Edit: February 04, 2021, 12:33:35 am by bradsmith2010 »

gutpile

« Reply #73 on: February 04, 2021, 10:12:44 am »
I use just a satin varathan after bow is complete and it doesn't pick up any moisture , she will be good to go as any other wood after sealed.. the issue we have down south is when bow is being completed... we have to bring in conditioned air after every time its worked.. doing that seems to cure any issues with the hickory soaking up any moisture from outside.. it is like a sponge... haha.. but I love the wood.. abundant here ... sweet bow brother...

Offline Yooper Bowyer

• formerly Tradcraftsman
« Reply #74 on: February 04, 2021, 02:36:33 pm »
There was finally decent light for photos today,  I will post more when I get my first squirrel :)

Thank you again, ;D

P.s. The handle fits wonderfully.