Author Topic: Start of an osage ALB  (Read 22616 times)

Offline Stickhead

• Administrator
Re: Start of an osage ALB
« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2021, 08:45:15 am »
This oughta be good

Offline Stixnstones

« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2021, 08:47:13 am »
Love watchin the pros work... gonna steal that centering tool idea, so simple.
DevilsBeachSelfbows

Offline Tradslinger

• Trad hunt, fish, metal detect, reload, garden, Vet
« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2021, 08:48:29 am »
both ideas are awesome, being able to flip it over like that. a two in one tool. now I have to make one. simple and yet works great

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: January 25, 2021, 11:25:08 am »
Up until now I've removed the bark and sapwood, cut the stave to 2" wide it's full length marked the center line the handle and fades. I've started in earnest to chase a back ring. Before I start this I put a ring around each knot with a pencil so I keep away from them until I'm ready to clean them up.

then I mark any ring violations with a pencil line

as you can see it can be pretty confusing. That's why I mark everything as I go. Each time I go through to the next ring I mark it and I put "Xs" on the deepest ring, my potential back ring.

The tools I'm using today are a gooseneck scraper(mostly), a flat scraper and a draw knife(limited).
To be able to see the growth rings well I view the stave from one end, pointed towards natural light. This makes the rings pop out. Even today with an overcast, rainy day the natural light shows the rings so much better than the flourescent and LED lights in my shop. This is where patience and lots of pencil marks really helps.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #19 on: January 25, 2021, 12:02:37 pm »
There is going to be a lot of knock offs on that centering tool! Very neat idea!  Come all ye young and tender newbies, take care how to build your bow :BB (SH)!  I am watching intently!
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline HH~

« Reply #20 on: January 25, 2021, 01:57:55 pm »
Kenny C makes a bunch to be shot fliipped. Had hickory thats amazing shooter. Been doing it for some time now.

HH~
MAFA: Makin America Free Again

Long is the road, Hard is the way.

Mother Gue never raised such a foolish child. . . .

Readily will I display the intestinal fortitude required to fight onto the Ranger objective and complete the mission though I be the lone survivor. RLTW

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: January 25, 2021, 02:16:28 pm »
Still chasing this illusive back ring. As I go down a ring the back becomes more concave slowing down the process. My primary tool has been the gooseneck scraper so with the knots(mostly pins), thin rings and the concavity of the back it's slow going. In this pic you can see the concave back.

I started about 10 and worked until noon then back at it at 1 until 2:30. I still have an hour or 2 to go to get the clean back I want.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline stuckinthemud

• avenue woodcarving
« Reply #22 on: January 25, 2021, 03:24:16 pm »
I'm gonna book mark this, thanks Pat

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: January 28, 2021, 10:46:15 am »
I got the back chased today. Turns out most of the back is concave so my gooseneck scraper and myself have an intimate relationship. It's taken about 6 hours with the gooseneck mostly with a little help from a flat scraper and a flat and curved draw knife. I'll be heading back down to the shop after lunch to draw out and cut out the back profile then the fun begins. I'll post more pics later today.   :OK

Offline RandyN

« Reply #24 on: January 28, 2021, 10:53:04 am »
Looking good Pat. I'll be following along.  Nice stave.

Offline Kidder

« Reply #25 on: January 28, 2021, 01:40:11 pm »
Way to get at it Pat. Question - because the back is concave are you going to be adjusting any portions of the design, ie does it call for a change of belly profile, trapping, etc???

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #26 on: January 28, 2021, 09:22:25 pm »
Kidder, I don't think I've built a bow yet with this much concaveness on the back. I'm building an ALB so I'll just see how it goes. I really don't do too much planning. I guess I'll just see what the wood wants to be.  ;)
 I've got more pics coming in a little bit. Stay tuned.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #27 on: January 28, 2021, 10:08:49 pm »
 I got down to a clean back, concave with a few pin knots. Most of the scraping was with a gooseneck scraper, about 6hrs totally to where the bow sits now. After cleaning up one limb I realized that the other limb was 2 layers down. I chased the other back clean but it overlaps at the center oh the handle. This will be a stiff handle bow so it shouldn't matter. Here are a few more pics of the progress...
 I put a center line down the clean back again. At this point the stave is 2" wide. One side had a little tear out at the handle so I decided to make the bow 1 5/8" wide. This almost eliminates the tear out.

I use the center line to mark off the bow back profile. The lines across the limbs are spaced 6" apart from the fades to the tips. This helps me with layout. The line on the right will be the right side of the 1 5/8" limb...

After cutting the stave down to 1 5/8" I draw a line along the slide of the limb at 3/4", the initial thickness of limb starting point. I draw out the fades and the handle on the side. To reduce some of the excess wood from the belly I cut along the 3/4" line holding the limb at an angle to remove the side facet from the belly. I do the same on the other side.

after faceting both limbs I remove the peak down the center on the belly.

Besides the bandsaw these are the tools I have used so far

and these will be used from now on to shape the bow and reduce the belly and tiller the bow.

to be continued...

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #28 on: January 29, 2021, 05:58:27 am »
Still watching  (-P
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline Deerhunter21

• What do you despise? By this are you truly known.
« Reply #29 on: January 29, 2021, 06:00:49 am »
 (-P (-P (-P
Life before death. Strength before weakness. Journey before destination.