Author Topic: Fletching jig?  (Read 7303 times)

Offline Fox

Fletching jig?
« on: February 06, 2021, 01:34:06 pm »
I’m wondering if I should get a fletching jig.... I can’t for the life of me make an accurate arrow... and it’s not me.... cause I can group arrows that I’ve bought plenty good.
Why must we make simple things so complicated?

Offline Hawkdancer

Re: Fletching jig?
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2021, 01:54:05 pm »
Make sure your shafts are in-line fore and aft, and your feathers are from the same side.  A jig will help keep the feather oriented.  Don't give up, most primitive arrows were made without a jig.  That being said, buy or trade for the best you can afford.  I have the Bitzenburger, it has clamps available for right, left, and straight Fletches, it is rather pricey, though!  Good luck!  Keep practicing building and shooting!
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2021, 02:26:37 pm »
A fletching jig does make it easier but not necessary. An Eastern Woodland 2 fletch or tangential sty;e fletching with 3 or 4 small feathers tied to the shaft both work well without a jig.
 I have a JoJan Multifletch that takes left, right or straight fletch. Mine is straight and I offset them for more spin.Not a helical but offset.
Either the JoJan or the Blitz would be good choices but pricey. The both make single fletch jigs too I think.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline TimBo

« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2021, 03:16:05 pm »
I have never actually tried this, although I am planning to next time I make up some three fletch arrows, but some people use a feather guide instead of a jig.  Take a piece of cardboard, cut a hole and three slits (like you shot it with a three blade BH), slide it over the shaft, and use that to hold the fletching as you glue it in place.  Definitely make sure the feathers are all from the same side and are the correct ones for the direction of spin/twist you are using.  That can really mess things up!

Offline Buck67

« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2021, 06:19:31 am »
If you use fletching tape you don't need a jig.

gutpile

« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2021, 02:18:46 pm »
when I make my primitive arrows I tie by hand.. I peel the feather from the quill it will be just like skin..cut to about 5 or 6 inch I remove some of feather from front and end to tie too leave some skin there with no feather .. I put a fine coat of hide glue on shaft then hold the tree feathers in my hand and wrap the front end down then spiral wrap till the end and wrap it ..all with sinew.. you have plenty of time to adjust your feathers to the orientation you need and even add a helical to it.. of course use either all right wing or left wing.. not sure that really matters if you peel them bit I still do.. you can cut in nock then or prior to wrapping if nock already cut..I then either burn or cut the fletching down or leave full for flu flu.. I have never lost a single feather off my arrows doing this way... and its so easy even a caveman can do it..haha.. gut

Offline Fox

« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2021, 09:47:04 pm »
thanks for all the good advice guys..... gut, thats pretty similar to what I've been doing... although I don't use hide glue, which I should probably do... and I put the glue on the feather not the shaft... and the fletching always doesn't look quite right... and only 1 out of the 30 or so arrows I've made has flown perfect... ill try fletching a few with your method and see how it goes

(these were hefted with dogbane I didn't have sinew at the time)

Untitled by Livvydog, on FlickrUntitled by Livvydog, on FlickrUntitled by Livvydog, on Flickr

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2021, 11:40:11 pm »
I'd say you've got it. Nice arrow.
 Are you orienting the shaft so the stiff side goes against the bow? That will make a difference how it flies.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2021, 01:00:59 am »
I agree with Pat B.  Nice work! 
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline Fox

« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2021, 02:07:18 am »
hm I must just be crazy  ;D well thats good to know, I guess if you two think the fletches are good then it must be the shaft... I might try Tonkin cane from khans or something.... I've heard leaving arrows long can help with accuracy and getting around the shelf.. my arrows are all around 28" i guess thats pretty short... I mean they seemed to bare shaft pretty good, but I dunno...

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2021, 08:49:55 am »
Like I asked above...are you putting the stiff side of the arrow against the bow? If not try shooting some of the bad shooting arrows with the cock feather in.

Offline Fox

« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2021, 01:05:51 pm »
Like I asked above...are you putting the stiff side of the arrow against the bow? If not try shooting some of the bad shooting arrows with the cock feather in.

I will try shooting some from the cock feather.... yeah I believe I tried to put the stiff side against the bow.... I have a kind hard time finding the stiff side, I don't have a spine tester so its all by feel,....

Offline TimBo

« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2021, 03:11:04 pm »
You could always make sort of a partial spine tester - just suspend the arrow shaft between two points like the backs of chairs, hang some sort of weight from the center, and observe where you get the most movement/sag.  I wouldn't use more than two pounds for the weight though!

gutpile

« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2021, 04:24:57 pm »
Fox I may be seeing wrong but looking at your nock it appears there is no way to get a clean arrow pass the way the fletching is orientated... Most my bows have a shelf and my main concern is having a clean shaft pass top of shelf..whether cock feather is in or out it doesn't matter but you don't want a feather pointing straight down to hit hand or shelf.. your going to get flex off arrow at drop of string still.. a buddy came to my house saying his arrows were everywhere.. he nocked one up and I said whooa.. buddy .. flip the arrow over your shooting it upside down.. 3 seconds and his problem was fixed...gut

Offline Fox

« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2021, 09:23:50 pm »
gut ... I think im pickin up what your puttin down.....any chance you could post a pic so I understand completely ?