Author Topic: New Brain Tanning Project  (Read 10861 times)

Offline Yooper Bowyer

• formerly Tradcraftsman
Re: New Brain Tanning Project
« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2021, 05:36:40 pm »
So it got a little side tracked, I've been working on it whenever I get a chance.

I have fleshed it and grained all but the neck.  I have half a mind to just cut the neck area off because I know it will give me a lot of trouble softening as well.   

It looks like there will be enough for one quiver (taken from the center of the back) and a lot of smaller things like gloves, bags, etc.

gutpile

« Reply #16 on: April 14, 2021, 02:43:06 pm »
you can use the stiff neck for bottom of quiver.. I use them for bottom of quivers and moccasins. bottoms..gut

Offline Yooper Bowyer

• formerly Tradcraftsman
« Reply #17 on: April 14, 2021, 03:05:34 pm »
Ok, I may well do that, but I'll probably leave it as rawhide.  It must be around 1/4" thick, I can't believe it!

gutpile

« Reply #18 on: April 14, 2021, 03:30:07 pm »
brain it too.. it will soften up some.. but still be stiffer than the rest of the hide, if you didnt thin it any.. mine got soft but still have a body to them.. gut

Offline Yooper Bowyer

• formerly Tradcraftsman
« Reply #19 on: April 14, 2021, 05:09:59 pm »
I'll see what I can do, the neck is the only part where the hair didn't slide, and it is just plain painful to grain and membrane, I'm afraid I wouldn't do a great job there anyway.  We'll see.

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #20 on: April 15, 2021, 08:17:46 am »
I would say what your trying to get as a product to use here is the consistency of how a parafleche is made.That is basically rawhide that is pounded with a wooden mallet onto a harder surface.It will become pliable but still stiff.It will change to a whiteish color also unless it is dyed or painted.It can be water resistant proofed the old way with prickly pear catcus juice or as I do with bees wax melted into it.No need for brains.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline Yooper Bowyer

• formerly Tradcraftsman
« Reply #21 on: April 15, 2021, 08:58:57 am »
Interesting... I'm really to far into this one to try it, but I'll keep it in mind for next time. :)

I finished graining yesterday and gave it a little vinigar to help softening.  Next I need to membrane it and apply dressing.

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #22 on: April 15, 2021, 09:34:25 am »
You seem like someone invigorated to be making things out of natural material.Rawhide is rawhide no matter what stage it's in.
BowEd
Ed

Offline Yooper Bowyer

• formerly Tradcraftsman
« Reply #23 on: April 15, 2021, 10:42:27 am »
I'm about ready for this to be done.  I have other projects to work on and I'm sure I can get more hides next fall.

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #24 on: April 15, 2021, 05:54:05 pm »
Looking forward to your productions.
BowEd
Ed

Offline Yooper Bowyer

• formerly Tradcraftsman
« Reply #25 on: April 15, 2021, 07:02:01 pm »
I just 'membraned' it, I fell I did an even worse job at that then I did at graining, between the acid and maybe to rounds in the dressing I can get it to be flexible at lest.  To get a more or less even color I may give it a very light smoking and then dye it.

This fall I need a much better scraping rig..

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #26 on: April 16, 2021, 07:55:07 am »
It is almost impossible to remove all of the membrane on the flesh side on a beam or even in a frame.Leaving a little bit of meat on the hide is a good thing and helps for the removal of it.
I frame mine.Flesh it.Let it dry.Sand the flesh side with 60 and 80 grit sand paper.60 grit used on most of the areas.I use 80 grit on the flank areas.This will get rid of a high percentage of the membrane.With brain tanning it is important to remove all barriers that stop the brain oils from penetrating.At this stage it is rawhide with the hair & epidermis on the hair side yet.
From there I proceed to dry scrape the hair and epidermis off.Sanding that side also after completeing that step.After cutting it out of frame it is ready to be brained.I rope my hides dry.
I've done this brain tanning both ways with the wet scrape/soften in the frame method and the dry scrape/soften on a rope method but prefer to do it the dry scrape way.
In a nut shell that's my procedure.You can change gears so to speak to remove hair and epidermis with lyme after fleshing and sanding in the frame too.It will need to be neutralized after that step then too.There is no scripted absolute way.The product will come out pretty much the same.
I will say the dry scrape way will produce a more slightly suedeish type surface and if there are chatter marks from the scraper that are'nt removed through sanding they will be there compared to the wet scrape way.Some quill workers and bead workers prefer one or the other.
Another thing is softening in the frame will produce an overall thinner leather and actually be larger than it's size as rawhide.It'll lay flat better on the edges for pattern making things.Once you start your there till it's dry,but will generally dry a little faster.
Roping dry produces thicker leather that can be a little wavy on the edges.It will lose around 25% of it's size as in a rawhide state.A roped hide will gain a little width wise but not length wise.Once you start you have an option of finishing it or sticking into a plastic bag twisted tight to prevent drying and getting back to it at a later time.
Through trial and error you will get your best tools and fleshing and dehairing rigs made.I've shown many pictures in posts in the primitive skills section of this forum.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2021, 09:05:26 am by BowEd »
BowEd
Ed

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #27 on: April 16, 2021, 08:41:09 am »
Glad to see you jump in here Ed.  Tradescraftman Ed is very knowledgeable about working hides. He has helped myself and many others on this site with his many tips and years of experience with hides of all kinds. Don’t be afraid to pick his brain and ask his opinion. He also does some beautiful leather and bead work. Makes top shelf, beautiful and functional stuff. He understands how different hides and different methods of perpetration of them effects the end product.

Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

gutpile

« Reply #28 on: April 19, 2021, 11:44:39 am »
second BowEd is a great wealth of knowledge.. he helped me tremendously on my project.. forever grateful.. gut

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #29 on: April 22, 2021, 07:50:10 am »
What you guys do with success is a product of your own ambition.You deserve all the credit.As I know myself what your going through.
"Nothing like smoked brain tanned leather".......or NLSBTL for future reference.....Ha Ha.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2021, 09:35:44 am by BowEd »
BowEd
Ed