Author Topic: Fraxinus Excelsior Ash 125@30 approx warbow 74"&3/4"  (Read 11845 times)

Offline meanewood

Re: Fraxinus Excelsior Ash 125@30 approx warbow 74"&3/4"
« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2021, 05:10:48 am »
It's looking good now, the slightly stiff final third of the upper limb is still there, but because of the original reflex in that area, it just means that this area is working (bending) as much as the rest of the bow and after all, the reason for tillering is to get all parts of the bow to share the load (compression).
If you try for a perfect tiller and don't allow for the reflexed or deflexed areas, then you don't share the load.
How did the draw weight turn out?

Offline Ruddy Darter

• Sympetrum sanguineum
« Reply #16 on: March 30, 2021, 05:28:46 am »
Thanks for the advice on this Meanewood, it's turned out quite nice  :OK,  I haven't measured the draw weight but I can't imagine it being much different with the thin skim  I removed and with more of the bow moving. (To measure the draw weight accurately I have to pull down the scales by hand on the tiller with my poor set up  and my neck and shoulder isn't quite up to it, and probably the cause of the strain too ;D)), It feels full on drawing it, and apart from a little bit of deflex returning bottom limb not taking any set to see as yet (I put quite a bit of heat on that limb), and looking pipe straight this morning  :) . I'm hoping to loose some arrows some time later this week.  (SH)
R.D.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2021, 12:55:22 pm by Ruddy Darter »
Mon arc, mon cœur. Gardez la foi!

Offline meanewood

« Reply #17 on: March 30, 2021, 07:57:12 pm »
I'm glad it's turned out to your liking.
Good to see you using old tools like that square and of course the shinto rasp is a must for bow making!