Author Topic: opinion on modern camo  (Read 8511 times)

Offline Fox

opinion on modern camo
« on: March 31, 2021, 12:33:06 am »
What do you all wear when hunting? I've just worn a checkered red shirt usually, and sometimes something over part of my face with mixed results....
for some reason, I have a dislike for a lot of modern hunting clothes, I guess just from all the marketing about it... but is it really better?

and how about boots aswell... I know that the rubber hunting boots are meant to greatly reduce cent left on the ground, which ive heard many hunters swear by these. but they are kinda gross looking ;D.   and seem very heavy and most places I hunt are at least a mile or so of a ruff hike in... they aslo seem hard to stalk in whatsover....

id love to hear all of your opinions of this :)
Why must we make simple things so complicated?

Offline Hawkdancer

Re: opinion on modern camo
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2021, 01:24:55 am »
Fox,
Whatever works for you!  Big game animals are pretty much color blind.  Just be sure your footwear fits, is broken in, and provides traction.  Whatever camo you  wear shoul match the terrain you are hunting.
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2021, 08:04:44 am »
Sitting still and having the wind in your favor are the most important things. Patterned cloths is a help to break up your profile and having good cover behind you to break up your profile also helps.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Allyn T

• I'm addicted to information
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2021, 08:41:10 pm »
I agree with pat and rubber boots suck.
In the woods I find my peace

Offline WhistlingBadger

• Future Expert
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2021, 11:19:52 pm »
Rubber boots might make sense for stand hunting.  For stalking in the mountains, I like a good, flat-sole leather boot (the original Wandertoes boot is the best ever, in my opinion--too bad they quit making it) or running shoes if the weather's nice.

My hunting clothes are a mix of modern camo and gray/brown plaid shirts.  I like both.  The animals don't seem to care too much.
Thomas
Lander, Wyoming
"The trail is the thing, not the end of the trail.
Travel too fast, and you miss all you are traveling for."
~Louis L'Amour

Offline Fox

« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2021, 12:57:19 am »
hmm...

trying to decide if If I should buy gear with a camo pattern or stick with the flannel...

Offline Mesophilic

« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2021, 03:06:56 am »
Keep in mind if you go flannel that cervids can see the blue spectrum and some green wavelengths.   Other critters can see shades of colors, too.  So if you're trying to hide from them keep color selection in mind.

For my area I find the Italian vegitato to be ideal.  Found some on sale for $15 for a complete set of BDU's...they're a bit big on me but for $15 for top, bottom, and a cap I can live with it.

I've watched Gill hunt in all kinds of not so natural colors and he seems to do pretty well so I'm personal reevaluating  as well.
Trying is the first step to failure
-Homer Simpson-

Offline chamookman

« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2021, 03:45:12 am »
All these "new" Camo patterns, are disigned to take Your money. For Me, a Green/Black Woolrich Shirt - Dark Grey Wool Pants - LL Beans Maine Hunting Shoes fit the Bill perfectly ! Bob
"May the Gods give Us the strength to draw the string to the cheek, the arrow to the barb and loose the flying shaft, so long as life may last." Saxon Pope - 1923.

Offline Allyn T

• I'm addicted to information
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2021, 07:33:24 am »
Fox I will say I don't have anything against camo, I do think a lot of hunting clothes are over priced. My biggest thing is staying warm and my hunting clothes do happen to be my warmest clothes that's the most important to me, oh and pockets gotta have good pockets : )
In the woods I find my peace

Offline Tradslinger

• Trad hunt, fish, metal detect, reload, garden, Vet
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2021, 08:36:44 am »
I have always said that I wear camo to hide from other hunters. I got very good at blending my treestands in to trees so that they wouldn't be used or stolen. I hunt on a lease now and just use plaid shirts and brown or black pants. I get all of them cheap at a resale store.

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2021, 09:56:19 am »
I gave up camo a long time ago, earth tone pants and plaids work for me.

That said, old age, physical decline, loss of my former great hunting land and an empty freezer had me pulling out my Ghillie suit and a modern rifle for hunting out the back door last year, it didn't matter, I never saw the first deer.  For the last 20 years I could have killed 25 out the back door every year if chose, this year was different, my camera showed dozens of deer but all were strictly nocturnal.

Offline gifford

« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2021, 12:22:22 pm »
I've used Carhart 'farmer' Brown for years, and green cruiser coat, and old Army woodland green camo all with similar results. Footwear depends on type of hunting (still, blind, treestand) and prevailing weather conditions. YMMV

Offline Fox

« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2021, 12:23:44 pm »
Okay... probably going to stick with the gear I have for the time being then.  I've liked the idea of ghillie suits Eric ;D

No luck last year for me with the bow... going to have to start getting out in the woods and scouting for this fall. been having a hard time connecting with deer.... thinking about setting up a game came, although I hunt public land so worried about that getting stolen... I guess ill see! :)

Offline archeryrob

« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2021, 09:13:46 am »
I use German Flecktarn now, because I can't get US issue fatigues cheap any more. I can't live without my six pocket pants hunting. Plus it is a proven camo like woodland and I can't stand the new digital stuff, but the digital battle uniform is nice, but even harder to get stuff to buy.

For boots I mainly use Cabelas Full Draw light season archery boots. Damn sole fell off on one and had to JB weld it back on. I walk a long ways also and get dressed in the stand if it is cold. I can't get my over pants over my big boots so I clip blanket boots to my pack when its is cold out. I can stalk in these fine, but I would not say they are the best. Now that BPS owns them I am afraid to buy anything from them anymore.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2021, 09:17:44 am by archeryrob »
"If you can't have fun doing it, it ain't worth doing, or you're just doing it wrong."

gutpile

« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2021, 12:45:41 pm »
braintan outfit ... unbelievable results while wearing it too... animals just can not figure out what you are .. truly remarkable... gut