Author Topic: Laburnum dimensions suggestions and Tips  (Read 5376 times)

Offline globalmark

Laburnum dimensions suggestions and Tips
« on: April 03, 2021, 05:38:33 pm »
Hi Guys

just been given a 30 year old set staves from Rex Oakes (famous UK bowyer makes howard Hill bows and a good friend) as he doesnt make all wood bows and Knows i made a few - i spliced the handle together and its a beautiful piece of wood - can get a 72-   72 1/2 bow out of this and i would like to make it easy useable for me so maybe 55-60lbs bow , it was already pre- cut so have a 32mm wide across handle at moment and similar depth ..

would love some suggestions on the dimensions just as a starting point - as never worked with Laburnum before and its pretty rare to get this ..
made a few Yew longbows and a Ash long bow , few flatbows and others from UK hawthorn , blackthorn and hazel - but a first in Laburnum ...

Also anything else that might be useful on using Laburnum if anyone knows any tips

Thanks Mark

bownarra

Re: Laburnum dimensions suggestions and Tips
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2021, 02:36:24 am »
Treat it exactly like yew. Rough out dimensions should be the same.
It will make a superb bow and is everybit as good as yew.

Offline globalmark

Re: Laburnum dimensions suggestions and Tips
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2021, 01:22:04 pm »
Hey Bownarra

Thanks for that - that was my plan but wasnt 100% sure as Laburnum is a first for me , did some clean up on glue splice today and rough sized - used a hand plane and nice to work with so far .. will take plenty pics and upload making it some stage - thanks