Author Topic: Got Me A Log  (Read 4513 times)

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
Re: Got Me A Log
« Reply #30 on: July 25, 2021, 04:32:32 pm »
I built ONE, decades ago with a sapwood back. It was an ugly cream/yellow color and tiny little cracks all over it. Hundreds of them. Just not a fan of it.
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.

Offline Bill_in_TR

« Reply #31 on: July 25, 2021, 04:50:58 pm »
Well my flea market pursuit of a draw knife was a total failure. Not the first sign of one. I guess I can try a local antique mall next.

In the meanwhile I came home and checked out on line sources for new ones. The Lee Valley Austrian gets good reviews but they are out of stock. Looked at Two Cherries, Muller and some others that all seemed too cheap or way too expensive. Then I found some on Garrett Wade for $79. The only question about those is the blade is only 6 inches wide. That seems more than adequate for a stave but not sure for a log.
----------------------------------------------------------
Longing fro a simpler time.

Offline Bill_in_TR

« Reply #32 on: July 25, 2021, 04:57:00 pm »
If the sap wood is that tough why not just leave it on?

Just my guess here but I imagine the sap wood is not as strong in tension as heart wood and if it is going to make up a significant layer in the back of a bow that would be a problem.

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #33 on: July 26, 2021, 09:02:08 am »
I think location and different osage has something to do with sapwood checking. I live in N/W Alabama, every stave I left the sapwood on checked just like the one I posted a picture of, that is over 25 years of osage cutting and probably 300 staves cut and saved.

As far as drawknives; the little ones aren't up to the task of serious wood removal. This is just me and I am sure someone will chime in about using the 8" Swedish drawknife for all their work and how well it works for them.

What I have found is whatever a person starts out with and uses will become their favorite drawknife. I started out with a huge debarking drawknife, I learned how to use it and can do very intricate work with it.

Here are my drawknives, the one on the top is my debarking drawknife, the one on the bottom is the Swedish one. the ones in the middle are flea market drawknives that work well but I like my debarker because of the extra weight, once I get it going I can take a lot of wood off quickly. I like my drawknives as sharp as I can get them.

The second drawknife down is a Greenlee, a really good quality drawknife that was pretty common back in the day, I gave $20 for it at fleamarket.

The third one down is a Pine Cone and a gift from a dieing friend. A HVAC guy who rehabs parolees came to work on my unit and brought one of his trainees, after they left I noticed things missing from my shop, the Pine Cone drawknife was one of the things that disappeared. As you can see it has a narrow blade, I found it was harder to remove wood with it because of the light blade.

The Swedish drawknife on the bottom is useless for heavy duty stuff, the blade is thin and flexes too much, the steel is good and it holds an edge well but I only use it for working around pin knots.

« Last Edit: July 27, 2021, 05:40:06 pm by Eric Krewson »

Offline Don W

• diy.timetestedtools.net/
« Reply #34 on: July 26, 2021, 12:37:10 pm »
Well my flea market pursuit of a draw knife was a total failure. Not the first sign of one. I guess I can try a local antique mall next.

In the meanwhile I came home and checked out on line sources for new ones. The Lee Valley Austrian gets good reviews but they are out of stock. Looked at Two Cherries, Muller and some others that all seemed too cheap or way too expensive. Then I found some on Garrett Wade for $79. The only question about those is the blade is only 6 inches wide. That seems more than adequate for a stave but not sure for a log.

PM me your address. I can remedy your situation. This one isn't pretty. A former owner decided acid was the go to for rust removal. But it takes and edge and will serve you for as long as you'll ask her to and take care of her life in spite if her appearance. I don't typically sell tools that look like this, but try hard to get them were they'll be used. It's yours if you'll use it. I've sharpened it, but if you want it really sharp, the final honing is on you.
Don

gutpile

« Reply #35 on: July 26, 2021, 12:43:30 pm »
if it splits straight there is about 7 to 8 bows in it...definitely get sapwood off.. spray with bug spray and seal back and ends.. gut

Offline Bill_in_TR

« Reply #36 on: July 27, 2021, 09:33:59 am »

PM me your address. I can remedy your situation. This one isn't pretty. A former owner decided acid was the go to for rust removal. But it takes and edge and will serve you for as long as you'll ask her to and take care of her life in spite if her appearance. I don't typically sell tools that look like this, but try hard to get them were they'll be used. It's yours if you'll use it. I've sharpened it, but if you want it really sharp, the final honing is on you.

Don, Thanks very much for the offer. When my flea market mission failed I got impatient and ordered one. It is a Mueller with a 9 1/2 inch blade. It is supposed to be hand forged in Austria. Hopefully I didn't waste my money. I hope to split this log later today.

Offline Bill_in_TR

« Reply #37 on: July 28, 2021, 12:42:17 pm »
Finally managed to get the log split today. Other things kept popping up and ruining my plans. How come nobody told me that splitting an osage log is a lot of work.

At any rate pictures below show what I have so far. I plan on splitting the left half one more time and stripping the bark. I have a draw knife coming today. I will reseal the right half and save it as is for now and store it in the garage. It looks like I have some twist I will have to deal with.

After this next split hopefully later today or tomorrow I will strip bark and reseal the ends and the back.

Offline Yooper Bowyer

• formerly Tradcraftsman
« Reply #38 on: July 28, 2021, 07:51:21 pm »
Good luck with that snake.  If you had done your homework you would know about the splitting job ;D

Offline Bill_in_TR

« Reply #39 on: July 28, 2021, 08:56:15 pm »
Been doing my homework since 1999. Just never finished the class. I expected a fun time and I got it. I just like to grouse about it. Today's over 90 degrees and high humidity just made it oodles of fun.

And even snakes need love.

Offline Don W

« Reply #40 on: July 28, 2021, 09:13:38 pm »
I remember splitting locust fence post when I was a kid. Wish I could find those locust now!
Don

Offline TimBo

« Reply #41 on: July 29, 2021, 12:14:27 am »
If you think that was bad, try splitting some elm!

Offline bassman211

« Reply #42 on: July 29, 2021, 10:49:11 am »
I just split a half log of Black gum, and I split Elm the same way with a sharp bladed chain saw. Larger logs of Osage can be tough to split. Just have to stay with it with wedges, and a 10 pound sledge.

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #43 on: July 29, 2021, 12:44:57 pm »
Osage is tough to split. Elm is just…ridiculous.
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.

Offline Don W

« Reply #44 on: July 29, 2021, 03:22:24 pm »
Osage is tough to split. Elm is just…ridiculous.

Elm splitter upper
Don