Author Topic: Got Me A Log  (Read 4650 times)

Offline Bill_in_TR

Re: Got Me A Log
« Reply #45 on: July 29, 2021, 04:31:15 pm »
Well I split one of the halves today. Then I stripped bark and started working on the sapwood.

Unfortunately I chose the wrong stave to start with. An injury of some sort on the out side could not be eliminated. I worked all morning and into the afternoon and the results are what you see in the picture. The dark area is all dried out with checking in there. More than half the stave is still covered in sapwood. I know that bow building involves work but this morning was not even a little bit of fun.

My log may not be suitable for someone with my lack of experience. The twist and the snakiness got more exagerated with the splits. I am going to insect spray and reseal the remaining splits and contemplate my next step.

I have developed huge respect for those who do this on a regular basis. I don't know how bows get built as quickly as some seem to be able to do it. It would take me at least a couple more days to just finish getting the sapwood off.

Another potential problem for me with this log is that the rings are very close together. Not sure if I am going to be able to chase a ring without violating it. Some of you probably would have no trouble. But I have watched rings get messed up several times already.

Anyhow it is time to sit a bit and rethink this.

----------------------------------------------------------
Longing fro a simpler time.

gutpile

« Reply #46 on: July 29, 2021, 04:39:21 pm »
nothing is harder to split than wet Southern Sweetgum... change my mind... gut

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #47 on: July 29, 2021, 05:42:59 pm »
It is a lot of work, no doubt, but like most anything, the first time is by far the hardest. It does not get easier, you just get to know the road better, and how long it will take to get to your destination. Straight, blemish free staves with fat rings are easiest. This one appears to be none of those 3 things.
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.