Author Topic: It's time to stop thinking and start doing  (Read 11255 times)

Offline sleek

It's time to stop thinking and start doing
« on: July 23, 2021, 07:16:31 pm »
Been wanting to build one since I learned about muzzle loaders in school. I'd spend hours daydreaming of designs, building, and killing deer from impossible distances. Well, im scheduled for a hunt mid December and it's a muzzle loader. Time to fire out what im gonna do and get to it.

Now my last name is Hawkins so that's an obvious influence on what will be my choice. I want a long gun, hex barrel and powerful enough to really reach out but not to the point of being painful to shoot.

I need suggestions on kits. Budget is around 1500. I obviously am under a time crunch but I do have 4 hours a day every day to work on it. Another consideration I have is, are primers and power available? I've heard they are not. What's the best way to guarantee availability of ammo?
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline Eric Krewson

Re: It's time to stop thinking and start doing
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2021, 09:43:14 pm »
I have never built one but all the experts say a Hawken is the hardest gun to build, they are not particularly long and have a large straight barrel that is heavy. Google images of Samuel Hawken guns for reference

Remember there are kits and there are kits, Lyman and Traditions are pretty much bolt together. A Lyman planes rifle kit would be a good choice but it is said the quality has gone down lately.

Kibler are only made in flint but give you a historically correct kit that is perfect for the beginner with no experience, you still have to fit stuff into the stock but the stock shaping is done.

All the others are parts kits, the stock is rough shaped, none of the parts fit, none of the holes are drilled or tapped for screws. These kits are pretty complex and require some gunsmithing skills.

Here is one parts kit for a plains rifle;
https://www.trackofthewolf.com/Categories/PartDetail.aspx/615/1/KIT-CARSON-HAWKEN-RIFLE-PARTS-LIST
« Last Edit: July 23, 2021, 09:49:40 pm by Eric Krewson »

Offline sleek

« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2021, 12:47:04 am »
I appreciate the info. The link you listed, I like how it looks, but I don't understand any of the particulars. Now im ignorant of how difficult a Hawken will be to build in comparison to any other model, and I want to use that to my advantage.  Many things I have done I would never have done if I had known how hard they would be in advance. 

So, if you think that model is a good one, and a guy with reasonable to advanced fabrication skills could make it inside 5 months with steady 4 hours a day effort, then I'll get it. What caliber should I get for big white tail and long distance open sight, and while I'm at it, how many yards is one of these good for?

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2021, 09:33:40 am »
My deer rifles are .54s, I shoot 80 gr of 2F and a 226gr patched round ball, at 100 yards my bullet energy is the same as if you put a 45 auto against the side of a deer and pulled the trigger, lots of stopping power, my load is good to about 200yards. You can load up to 120 gr of powder and reach way out there, I chose the most accurate combination for my gun.

There are two different kinds of barrels you can put on these guns, one with slow (1 turn in 66") twist rifling made for shooting patched round balls or one with a fast twist rifling (1 in 28" or 32") made to shoot a large conical bullet. I don't like the big conicals because of the severe recoil, these things can be brutal.

As far as completing one of these guns from a parts kit it depends on your patience, reference material and tools available to you and knowing how to use them. The problem with precarved stocks is the precarver makes mistakes, some really bad ones that you have to be able to correct.

I have made two guns from precarves and two from a stock blank, it was actually easier to make a gun from a blank than to make one from a precarve because the precarves were off center and poorly inletted and it took me more time to fix the flaws than it would have taken to shape the stock myself.

Here is a common flaw, a precarve lock inlet that is not in the right place, the pan should center my X mark on the barrel, in this case it is below the side flat of the barrel and just won't work. I had to glue in a shim in the inlet and drop the barrel deeper in the barrel channel to get the lock up where it is supposed to be, this took me at least a week.

Other flaws on this precarve were a ramrod hole that was improperly drilled that went to low in the forestock and had a bow in the channel and gouged out place in the forestock that I had to patch. This is on a kit that had $1100 worth of parts in it, unacceptable.

« Last Edit: July 24, 2021, 09:39:05 am by Eric Krewson »

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2021, 09:47:50 am »
On a plank build I recommend having the barrel channel and ramrod hole drilled by a professional, the layout and shaping is fairly easy, the first thing you do is install the buttplate which gives you buttstock dimensions then move forward inletting parts as you go. The buttplate gives you length of trigger pull and any cast off if you want it.

I use full sized plans, make a pattern and transfer it to the stock blank. The plans will give you cross section cut outs to show you how to round and shape the stock at different points from one end to the other. you can see these cutouts above the buttstock of the pattern I am transferring to a piece of cardboard for a pattern to lay on the stock blank and copy.

Another biggie, the parts shown on the plans like the lock probably won't be the same size as the ones in your kit, trace around your parts on the stock, don't rely on the pictured part for an inlet because they may throw off the location your part actually needs to be in. I learned on my first build that the lock sear and the trigger geometry were way off if I followed the plans to a "T" in regards to lock location.

The other picture is the finished gun that I made this way, a 12 ga English fowler turkey/ deer smooth bore. This build took me about a year.

This is the way I got the blank back after I sent it off to have the barrel channel cut and ramrod hole drilled.

« Last Edit: July 24, 2021, 11:04:09 am by Eric Krewson »

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2021, 10:17:14 am »
Watch this series to see if you have what it takes to make a parts kit gun.

Start here and proceed through all the videos, there are over 25 of them about a precarve build.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2JPvkMKxRv8

Go to this next to get started on the build.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FxPpfCA8T6k

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2021, 10:27:35 am »
If you decide to build don't buy a set of carving tools, you won't use 90% of them on a build, buy or make a couple of small gouges and you are good to go. You will need an 1/8" and 1/4" chisel, an Exacto knife and all of your bow making files, rasps and scrapers as well as a mill bastard file for drawfiling the barrel and a tri- corner file for cutting sight and underlug dovetails.

I use a Dremel sparingly, you can mess up a build faster with this tool than any other, I have extensive experience as a power duck decoy carver using a Dremel and a Fordom tool so I cautiously use one on lock internal inlets. For someone without experience, keep away from this tool on a gun build.

I have made a variety of small chisels, scrapers and gouges out of concrete nails for inletting difficult areas in the stock.

« Last Edit: July 24, 2021, 10:51:34 am by Eric Krewson »

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2021, 11:01:40 am »
The best and most historically accurate Hawken kits are made by a guy named Don Stith, it is my understanding that he is having serious health issues at the present and is out of the loop right now. https://donstith.com/

I just checked, Don is battling bladder cancer that has spread to his lymph nodes, he is in the first few weeks of chemo treatments.

The Track of the Wolf link I posted is just the first that came to mind, I have no first hand knowledge about its overall quality.

Go to the American Longrifle site and ask the guys in the gun building section what they think of the kit and their advice about a newbie completing this Hawken kit and if it is any good. These guys really know their stuff.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2021, 12:07:48 pm by Eric Krewson »

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2021, 11:10:58 am »
Boy, once I get started on this stuff I can go on forever.

I guess the key is, how crafty are you, some folk are and some don't have a crafty bone in their body. I found this out from teaching bow making, only about one out of a dozen students had what it took to complete a bow on their own after I helped them through their first, they just didn't have the "crafty" gene.

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2021, 02:21:36 pm »
Sleek, you might consider a flintlock - no need for caps, and a pound of 4fg will last a long time.  Look for a black powder club in your area.  There may be a gun builder and a powder source.
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2021, 08:55:09 pm »
Just checked the order form for the track kit, they don't have any barrels(backordered) and only pain stock wood.

When I gave all this advice I didn't take into account that there has been a run of gun kit parts and they are in very short supply. It might take you 6 months to a year to get a complete kit.

What I did on all my rifles was to buy a part here, a barrel there, a stock blank from someone else and so forth until I had all the components for a build.

It looks like the Gun Works has barrels but just about no one else.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2021, 09:06:07 pm by Eric Krewson »

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2021, 01:23:17 pm »
Take into account that the Hawkins gunshop built rifles for many years in the East before relocating west to St Louis. And even after moving west, they built most of their guns in flintlock and fullstock, not the halfstock business you see in movies. In fact, their halfstock rifles were more expensive than the fullstocks!!!

The caplock ignition was not at all common until about 1840 when the fur trade era was in steep decline.

I remember hearing stories that in the 1970's someone started selling off the last of the Hawkins gunshop parts and a number of full rifles were assembled completely from ORIGINAL PARTS.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline sleek

« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2021, 08:51:57 pm »
Ok, definitely going to go the flintlock route. I like the idea of not being primer dependent. That should open my barrel options so.e right guys? I'm seriously gonna just ask yall, cause yall know infinitely more than me, to find me a kit please that has everything I need and I can get all the parts. I'm a bit overwhelmed with options, lack of parts, and lack of knowledge.

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2021, 09:50:09 am »
Any barrel you can get in percussion you can get in flint. For a Hawken you can get a straight or tapered barrel (big at the breech and smaller at the bore), the straight sided barrel is a beast and will make a gun weigh at least 10#, I would go with a tapered barrel.

Considering the lag time for parts I don't think you will make your window of opportunity for your Dec hunt. You could buy a rifle "in the white" that is complete less wood and metal finish and make your hunt.

In all honesty flint rifles are hard to shoot, you have more lag time before they go off and the flinch factor comes into play, for that reason they are called "flinchlocks".

Offline Parnell

« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2021, 12:28:26 pm »
Sleek,

I am a “new guy” to building.  I did a couple of very basic Lyman kits…a good starting point.  The guns are very heavy, though.  You may look at a Plains Rifle?  Then I did a .62 Trade Gun from Sitting Fox. that was the more challenging full kit that requires inletting, drilling, etc.  A challenge, but it came out well.

To do over for that first full kit project I think I’d go with a .62 smooth bore Appalachian Barn Gun kit from Sitting Fox and the shorter barrel!  It gives the most options, I’d say…and a good price.
That guy’s winter place is down here in S FL so I went to the shop for the kit.  Very straightforward.
1’—>1’