Author Topic: Re: Buildalong character recurve >>>session 1 - 6 added, finished page 3  (Read 6842 times)

Offline ssrhythm

Re: Buildalong character recurve >>>session 1 - 6 added
« Reply #30 on: August 16, 2021, 01:57:37 pm »
Goodness.  This is eye opening!  I'm loving getting to watch the way you are thinking through all this.  This is an extremely helpful/useful buildalong, and that is going to be an amazing bow.

Offline bentstick54

« Reply #31 on: August 17, 2021, 10:18:13 pm »
I can’t believe how well you are manipulating that character stave. You have definitely convinced me that I have been to timid with the desire to work some questionable staves. Thank you for taking the time to do this build along, and explaining so well.

Offline simson

• stonehill-primitive-bows
« Reply #32 on: August 18, 2021, 03:14:05 am »
Thank you very much, glad my post is helpful. I have benefited so much from this website and now it is my pleasure to be able to admit something too.
Simon
Bavaria, Germany

Offline lleroy

« Reply #33 on: August 21, 2021, 04:31:28 am »
Amazing how you turn that crooked piece of firewood into such a beautiful bow! Seriously impressed!

Offline simson

« Reply #34 on: August 21, 2021, 05:17:00 am »
This bow came from a marginal stave, but full of character (or imperfections in other words). It needed some heating and steaming sessions for corrections. In the end it is now a fine bow with a lot of character remaining, what makes the tiller looking weird from some angles. But it is well balanced, no twist in the handle while bracing or drawing. It is fumed for a week.

The fades are asymmetric at belly, due they have opposing angles at the back. Belly is flat in the bending parts and follows with valleys the mountains on the back.

The handle is upholstered with cork in portions. Black goat leather and kangaroo lacing makes a comfortable grip. First I had the idea of a horn or bone inlay for arrow pass, but rejected as the fade was very narrow and tolerates no further weakening.
A side splinter at lower fade had to be glued back with epoxi, a hemp wrapping hides that spot. The same on upper fade is just for symmetry aesthetic.
On the tips is an overlay from bone (cow), it is a bit dyed with osage soup & fuming left over.

ntn: 58½”
bh: 5¼”
mass: 569 gram
asymmetrical
max. w.: 1½” 
reflex:   2½”

08”: 05,0
10”: 11,3   (+ 6,3)
12”: 16,3   (+ 5,0)
14”: 20,6   (+ 4,3)
16”: 24,8   (+ 4,2)
18”: 28,9   (+ 4,1)
20”: 33,0   (+ 4,1
22”: 37,2   (+ 4,2)
24”: 41,5   (+ 4,3)
26”: 46,0   (+ 4,5)
28”: 50,7   (+ 4,7)

Simon
Bavaria, Germany

Online bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
Re: Buildalong character recurve >>>session 1 - 6 added, finished page 3
« Reply #35 on: August 21, 2021, 07:43:07 am »
Just like I was imagining Simson. She is a looker and I’m sure a fine shooting bow to. Thanks so much for the build along.

Bjrogg

PS This site has given me so much to. And a lot of what it’s given has come from guys and gals like you. Thanks again and best wishes for your health.
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline bentstick54

« Reply #36 on: August 21, 2021, 10:38:56 am »
All I can say is WOW. Thanks for taking the time to do the build along. I’ve always been impressed with the bows you turn out, but being able to follow along on such a character build was fantastic.Thank you again.

Offline snag

« Reply #37 on: August 21, 2021, 11:07:38 am »
Staves are like people. Some are more gnarely, twisted, and challenging than others. All have character to them. When we look beyond our initial impression we can come away with something of great value and are pleased with what we’ve found. You have uncovered a thing of beauty! It was there all along…just needed a like help to be revealed. Well done.
Is. 49:2 ....He made me a polished arrow and concealed me in His quiver.

Offline PaSteve

« Reply #38 on: August 21, 2021, 12:05:05 pm »
Simon, you truly are a master. Another beautiful how. Thanks for taking the time to show us your problem solving procedure on a tough stave.
"It seems so much more obvious with bows than with other matters, that we are the guardians of the prize we seek." Dean Torges

Offline Kidder

« Reply #39 on: August 21, 2021, 02:01:55 pm »
That’s an exceptional bow. But seeing where it started, I’m just speechless. I doubt most of us even possess the imagination or vision to see the end potential, yet alone the skill to make that come to fruition. Truly amazed.

Offline organic_archer

« Reply #40 on: August 22, 2021, 10:28:49 am »
Outstanding! The character in that bow and the execution are top notch!
Owner
Organic Archery
Hand-Crafted Longbows & Wooden Arrows

Offline Selfbowman

« Reply #41 on: August 23, 2021, 09:59:34 am »
My hat is off to you sir . Well done. What are the wraps for at the fades? Just asking.
Well I'll say!!  Osage is king!!

Offline Parnell

« Reply #42 on: August 23, 2021, 11:22:47 am »
Very nice looking bow, Simon.  Great to have watched the process of straightening up the bow.  Great work!
1’—>1’

Offline Deerhunter21

• What do you despise? By this are you truly known.
« Reply #43 on: August 23, 2021, 12:37:18 pm »
Wow! that is sweet! thats Really sweet!! good job!!!!!!!
Life before death. Strength before weakness. Journey before destination.

Offline simson

« Reply #44 on: August 24, 2021, 02:51:37 am »
Thanks a lot for your comments!

My hat is off to you sir . Well done. What are the wraps for at the fades? Just asking.

A side splinter at lower fade had to be glued back with epoxi, a hemp wrapping hides that spot. The same on upper fade is just for symmetry aesthetic.
Simon
Bavaria, Germany