Author Topic: 5 piece bamboo Mongolian/horse bow  (Read 5276 times)

Offline superdav95

Re: 5 piece bamboo Mongolian/horse bow
« Reply #15 on: August 06, 2021, 08:45:34 am »
Thanks Aussie!   The brace is about a thumb and fist at the deepest part of limb on each side.  I’m guessing around 6.5”. 
Sticks and stones and other poky stabby things.

superdav95@gmail.com

Offline PatM

« Reply #16 on: August 06, 2021, 10:10:39 am »
Good job.  I'd love to see someone glue two slats together with the outside of the boo on back and belly for one of these and give the belly a good roasting before glue-up.

gutpile

« Reply #17 on: August 06, 2021, 12:48:26 pm »
OK guys I am intrigued.. I want to build one of these bows.. can someone send me a link or a video I can buy to get me going... gut

Offline bassman211

« Reply #18 on: August 06, 2021, 05:20:55 pm »
Gutpile, get on utube, and check out Dave Mead website. He gives a blow by blow of what you would need to know. He even sales components, but you can easily make them your self. He uses Maple siyahs and risers ,and his own heat treated bamboo. I made my last one out of bamboo floor boards that works fine.

Offline superdav95

« Reply #19 on: August 06, 2021, 08:52:26 pm »
OK guys I am intrigued.. I want to build one of these bows.. can someone send me a link or a video I can buy to get me going... gut

Sorry gut I just got done for the day and noticed this.  I haven’t check recently but I think Dave Mead was sold out of his kits last I looked.  Very cool guy though.  Several months ago I reached out to him and he advised me to try and get my hands on some moso pole bamboo and experiment with it.  I honestly put the poles I bought in my garage since then and got sidetracked with my hickory bows and every day would see my poles sitting there and just decided recently to just go for it.  I took what I learned from my heat treatment of my hickory bows and applied it to the bamboo test bows and was amazed with results.  Very neat design and simple to build.  I was able to build a couple in a day.  I took bassmans advised to use Dave’s advise and hot melt glue instead of epoxy.  Mine holding up good.  I can send you whatever you need to get going info wise.  I’m learning here too so I’m no expert to say the least but will to answer any of your questions you might have about what I did to make mine. 

superdav95@gmail.com

Offline superdav95

« Reply #20 on: August 06, 2021, 09:06:25 pm »
Here’s a couple more pics of my jig of sorts that I’ve been using to induce reflex during heat treatment. I put more reflex in this last set then my first few bamboo bows.  Should be interesting if I can get more speed out of them.  I was able to get 206fps out of a 50lbs draw on my third one of these!  I drew it back to 30” and was shooting a 360 grain arrow this time instead of the 450grains but still pretty darn fast.  The pic may not show well the screen on the chrono but will post a link if it doesn’t show.  I’m baking another set of limbs as I type this shown in the jig set up pic.   Let me know what info you need. these bows are pretty sweet and super easy to make. 
« Last Edit: August 06, 2021, 09:11:15 pm by superdav95 »

superdav95@gmail.com

Offline superdav95

« Reply #21 on: August 06, 2021, 09:08:27 pm »
Good job.  I'd love to see someone glue two slats together with the outside of the boo on back and belly for one of these and give the belly a good roasting before glue-up.

Very interesting idea.  I might have to try this…

superdav95@gmail.com

Offline Aussie Yeoman

« Reply #22 on: August 06, 2021, 09:10:43 pm »
Yes, the bows are holding up fine. I used regular hot glue. Nothing special. Yes rounding the ends of the riser. The speeds out of those bows are typical of the speeds I get out of all my bows. No matter the design, or wood used. I only draw 25 inches so your numbers should be better if you draw 28. Build it correctly, and I think you will be happy with it.

Sorry Bassman, I don't quite follow what you mean here. What do you mean by rounding the end of the riser?
Articles for the beginning bowyer, with Australian bowyers in mind:

http://www.tharwavalleyforge.com/articles/tutorials

Offline superdav95

« Reply #23 on: August 06, 2021, 09:29:02 pm »
Aussie.  Here’s what I think he means and how I took it.  Bassman correct me if I’m wrong.  Here’s a pic to illustrate…  it’s the rounded edges that prevent pinching of the inner belly of the base of each limb.  Hope this helps!

Dave

superdav95@gmail.com

Offline superdav95

« Reply #24 on: August 06, 2021, 09:45:02 pm »
Here’s the set I made tonight with more reflex.  I just pulled them out of the oven.  Hmm the smell of roasted bamboo in the house. Lol.  I baked them for about an hour on convection mode at 250degrees F.  I did this in hopes to permanently set the limbs in and hold the shape I want.  I first roast them over a hot plate to golden brown or till most of the steam stops escaping the bamboo.  You’ll see it spew out of the ends.  Keep them moving and don’t burn them just golden brown.  Here’s the reflex heat set I got after they cooled off.  Should be good.

superdav95@gmail.com

bownarra

« Reply #25 on: August 09, 2021, 02:16:27 am »
Check out the Buthanese bows.

Offline Gimlis Ghost

« Reply #26 on: August 09, 2021, 03:14:58 am »

I've been wondering about such results as well.
I was thinking a long bow made this way might be capable of being reversed should it develop a set. Perhaps strung first one way then strung the opposite the next day perhaps.

I was also wondering if the narrow American Bamboo cane poles often found for sale as fishing rods might be worked up into a passable small game bow by taking two slender sections with similar taper and joining them at the grip with a tight bedded dowel plug.
Next time I see any of these rods for sale I'll give it a go.
Been ages since I've been to any of the back woods stores that kept these in bundles by the front door. They used to have these locally at the strangest places such as gas stations and hobby shops as well as sporting goods stores.

gutpile

« Reply #27 on: August 09, 2021, 09:37:59 am »
well looks like I am going to have t do some research... cool stuff... mind blown on hot glue performance .. would of never expected that..gut

Offline superdav95

« Reply #28 on: August 10, 2021, 01:20:24 am »
Ya bownarra those buthanese bows are nice.  Gutpile,  let me know what you need to get going and I can help where I can.  I don’t mind at all.  There are lots of how tos out there but sometimes leaves more questions then answers.  I checked out your site.  Some very cool stuff.  I may have to pic your brain on some knapping rock.  I picked some and tried my hand at it and did ok but I’m sure just like anything else it’s gonna take me more practice to get the end result I want.  Anyway I don’t mind sharing info like I said.  That’s what this community is for. 

Cheers.

Dave

superdav95@gmail.com

gutpile

« Reply #29 on: August 10, 2021, 11:05:49 am »
I have got to update that site.. it is over 10 years old with no updates.. haha.. My brother set it up and I don't even have access to it right now for updating. I got so much stuff to add its ridiculous.. my instagram has a  lot of new stuff on it.. gut