Author Topic: Is this stuff in our genes?  (Read 32867 times)

Offline D. Tiller

• Go ahead! Bend that stick! Make my day!!!
    • Whidbey Island Soap Co.
Re: Is this stuff in our genes?
« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2008, 07:39:07 pm »
Recesive genetics is what it is! Skipped numerous generations untill it landed on me. Father, nope! Grandfathers? Nope! Me, like a sledghammer!

My brow ridge is growing and I drag my knuckles on the ground as I walk. Cant look at a tree or stone and think what type of tool I can use. No longer use mettle to scrape the bark off saplings to make arrows but snap and obsidian flake in half and use that. Much sharper! Steel for arrowheads? Not this guy! Flint and obsidian only! If your going to kill a deer use what nature naturaly provides and then get the most out of it!

David T (Cro-Mag. in training!)  ;D
“People are less likely to shoot at you if you smile at them” - Mad Jack Churchill

Offline DanaM

« Reply #16 on: May 12, 2008, 09:26:05 pm »
Ok Tiller you have me almost convinced now you have to give up the pretty smellin soap >:D Your Busted Dude :D
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

gene roberts

« Reply #17 on: May 13, 2008, 12:59:44 am »
I bet it is.I mean how do animals know what is non-poisonous and what is.

Offline FlintWalker

« Reply #18 on: May 13, 2008, 03:08:08 am »
I think this addiction we all seem to have is genetic.  I also think that our love for wooden bows, arrows, stone points etc. is a reflection of what kind of people we are.  We generally seek, and only want or need the simpler things in life. Most of us never buy anyhing we can make ourselves or take more than we need.
 Another very common trait I've noticed among us is the lack of selfishness and the willingness to help others. I don't think these things are "learned". I think we're born this way.  I know I've felt a connection to "organic" things for as long as I can remember.
  I grew up in the outdoors, in a family that depended on fish and wild game for food and it would be easy to say that that's the reason I am the way I am. But many among us didn't, yet still feel the same as I do. So yes, I do believe it's a genetic trait buried deep within all of us that makes us the way we are.
                   Saw Filer
Be thankfull for all you have, because no matter how bad you think it is...it can always be worse.

Offline D. Tiller

« Reply #19 on: May 13, 2008, 04:18:13 am »
Shannon, I do agree with ya! But, living in cities tends to beat the generosity gene down. I find I have to keep reminding myself its ok to give freely of myself.  Seems if ya try that in a big city people think your weird or somethin. Oh! For an uncomplicated life and good friends to share it with!  :)
“People are less likely to shoot at you if you smile at them” - Mad Jack Churchill

perry

« Reply #20 on: May 13, 2008, 06:09:08 am »
My parents told me when I was in my early teens that they thought I was born 1000 years too late , I told them I thought it was 10 000 years . Living in the city as I do and working a modern existance for a family that doesn't get it I understand where this ithread is coming from all to well .

regards Perry

Offline richpierce

« Reply #21 on: May 13, 2008, 10:44:48 am »
I think the generosity we share may come from the feeling that we've finally found "our tribe".  In tribal societies, all is done for the good of the tribe- meat, whatever resources or materials found are shared.

Offline Kegan

« Reply #22 on: May 13, 2008, 01:06:47 pm »
It must be. Primitive arhcery only appeals to a person with a romantic's soul, so primitive skills must only appeal to a person with a caveman's blood- right?

Makes sense to me.

But now I gotta go stare at some plants til i cramp up or they get up and run away in fear ;D

Offline huntertrapper

« Reply #23 on: May 14, 2008, 09:38:13 pm »
ill have to try what jamie said, and about thinking "romantic" i can always be happy thinking of an indian 100 of years ago stalking a deer with a longbow and flint tipped arrows and know, i do it now, not so much deer with flint but other game. no better thought.
Modern Day Tramp

Offline david w.

« Reply #24 on: May 15, 2008, 12:43:55 am »
Every time I am outside.At school with all the kids in my class that can't live without video games,ipods,and electricity I feel like that guy in all the paintings that's alone looking out over a ledge with a bow and tomahawk.It's very sad actually how much the other 12/13 year olds can't live without technology/modern crap.I would probably rather do without some of it.

amen i feel the same way

and jamie now when i am in my yard i start staring at plants now every time i see something i start to stare at it.  Our class i going on a camping trip tommorrow and i cant wait to see the looks on their facing while i am doing this sort of thing. ;D
These pretzels are making me thirsty.

if it dont go fast...chrome it - El Destructo

Offline D. Tiller

« Reply #25 on: May 15, 2008, 01:34:22 am »
Every time I am outside.At school with all the kids in my class that can't live without video games,ipods,and electricity I feel like that guy in all the paintings that's alone looking out over a ledge with a bow and tomahawk.It's very sad actually how much the other 12/13 year olds can't live without technology/modern crap.I would probably rather do without some of it.

amen i feel the same way

and jamie now when i am in my yard i start staring at plants now every time i see something i start to stare at it.  Our class i going on a camping trip tommorrow and i cant wait to see the looks on their facing while i am doing this sort of thing. ;D

Wait till you too get older and keep on staring at different plants and then start making things out of them. The neighbors will be scandelized!

gene roberts

« Reply #26 on: May 15, 2008, 02:00:56 am »
ha ha  :)

Offline DanaM

« Reply #27 on: May 15, 2008, 07:58:57 am »
Man you folks are wierd, I suggest you all make an appointment with Dr. Keenan immediately :)
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline D. Tiller

« Reply #28 on: May 15, 2008, 01:58:38 pm »
Tried Keenan Dana! But it seems like he's not helping but incouraging!!!

Offline Kegan

« Reply #29 on: May 15, 2008, 08:47:31 pm »
I don't think it's really a bad thing until the plants start talking back to you.

Actually, it's only bad when they tell you to burn things.

Okay, it's only bad when they tell you to burn things that aren't sticks steaks ;D.