Author Topic: Is this stuff in our genes?  (Read 33055 times)

Offline Kegan

Re: Is this stuff in our genes?
« Reply #45 on: June 06, 2008, 09:40:05 pm »
What, that's not a normal mode of life :D?

Hmm, suburbs. The "final frontier"....

If that's true the locals would be much relived that they don't have to worry about their children and pets getting eaten by the "Boogy-caveman" ;).

Offline cracker

« Reply #46 on: June 19, 2008, 08:04:43 pm »
Hy guys I think I'll build a ceremonial mound in my back yard for tribal sprimg water parties any one wanna help.
Cracker
If we can't help each other what is the point of being here?

Offline D. Tiller

• Go ahead! Bend that stick! Make my day!!!
    • Whidbey Island Soap Co.
« Reply #47 on: June 19, 2008, 08:17:06 pm »
Ron, you supply the spring water and the plane ticket you gots yourself some help!

Kegan, you mean...Pat?
“People are less likely to shoot at you if you smile at them” - Mad Jack Churchill

Offline cracker

« Reply #48 on: June 20, 2008, 08:55:21 pm »
Ron, you supply the spring water and the plane ticket you gots yourself some help!

Kegan, you mean...Pat?
The spring water I could probably handle far as trans you gotta get on your pony and ride. Oh well I guess this way I get to be chief. It's lonely at the top.
Signed Chief Cracker
If we can't help each other what is the point of being here?

Offline Kegan

« Reply #49 on: June 21, 2008, 05:00:44 pm »

Offline 65x55 swedis

« Reply #50 on: December 01, 2009, 02:00:51 am »
i have to agree i get a "vibe" and i really just forget about the world of now. it just feels right to work, shoot, build and knap. but to others i am wierd for takeing up old ways! ;D

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #51 on: December 21, 2009, 11:12:47 am »
Definitely, we are hunter gatherers, that's my theory as to why people collect things...
If one of something is good then we like to collect many of them.
One Blackberry good, whole bag of 'em =pie  ;D
Every Autumn I go blackberry picking and always find it therapeutic...
An when I walk in the woods I'm always alert for wildlife and bow staves or arrow shafts hiding in the trees.
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline Tsalagi

• Just a bowman...
    • Guerilla Chef Headquarters
« Reply #52 on: December 21, 2009, 06:09:28 pm »
Another blackberry picker! My wife and I pick them in Oak Creek canyon between here near Sedona. I absolutely ADORE the tourists who stop to see the creek when we offer them blackberries: "How do you know they're not poinsonous?!" LOL!!!!!!  ;D
Living a dream...

Offline Postman

« Reply #53 on: December 24, 2009, 12:15:01 pm »
Sedona's really cool - except for the teal macdonalds. ;)
Great article in this month's Nat Geographic about a hunter-gatherer tribe in Africa. The author is amazed at their complete lack of stress or worry.  They sneak up on some baboons in the middle of the night and kill one with bows and arrows tipped with tree sap posoin. The author is so scared he pulls out and wields a 2-inch pocketknife :D They make him a bow the next day.

favorite line in the article: "[Large scale] agriculture is probably the worst mistake in human history"
"Leave the gun....Take the cannoli"

John Poster -  Western VA

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #54 on: December 24, 2009, 01:21:10 pm »
                                                                    Watching Plants Jamie..... ???

When I am in the Woods watching Plants...and one of them Moves or Does something...It makes Me wonder ...

What this Crap was cut with...  >:D
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline Tsalagi

• Just a bowman...
    • Guerilla Chef Headquarters
« Reply #55 on: December 24, 2009, 11:36:42 pm »
Yes, the teal-colored Mickey McCrappy's in Sedona. My wife and I always say, who comes all the way to vacation in Sedona and eats at Mickey's McPuke's??? There are far, far better inexpensive eateries there. There's an Indian buffet (India Indian, not Sudbury Bow Indian  ;D ) not far from Mick E. McColi that for I think it's 7 or 8 bucks you can stuff your face as much as you want. That's not much more money than a Value Barf at McCrappy's. Could you eat unlimited tandoori chicken at McPuke's? Noooo...
Living a dream...

Offline jamie

• born again pagan ,dirt worshipping heathen
« Reply #56 on: December 25, 2009, 07:42:14 am »
hey mike..........bite me............ ;D
"Man is a tool-using animal. Without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all."

waterbury, ct

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #57 on: December 25, 2009, 08:16:10 am »
What kinda Plant are You.....Bitterroot............... :P
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline jamie

• born again pagan ,dirt worshipping heathen
« Reply #58 on: December 25, 2009, 10:38:13 am »
Dogbane =)
"Man is a tool-using animal. Without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all."

waterbury, ct

Offline stickbender

« Reply #59 on: December 31, 2009, 02:06:39 am »

Actually it is a recessive gene, that awakes in some, and not in others.  Only because the others, have been programed not to.  My whole family has always been woods oriented, hunting, and fishing was just what we did.  When I was a kid, we went fishing, and hunting, as just a routine part of life.  But it was a routine that was always looked to as a getaway.  My Dad used to say, that the woods, would heal him.  He would be sick, and go down to our cabin in the Big Cypress, and by the next day, you never know he was sick at all.  I still say, you just can't beat a plain ol cane pole, and a can of worms, and a stringer of blue gills, or sunfish, stumpknockers, warmouth perch, etc., to just be relaxed to the max.  Even if you don't catch anything. I love to ocean fish, but I am most at ease with the simple cane pole and can of worms.  I love the swamps, and marshes, and I will miss them when I move to Montana next year, But I also feel at home in the mountains, and woods out there also.  But it just feels right, like you guys said.
I guess you could say it is a tribal thing, when you are with other people who share the same love of the outdoors as you do.  But I grew up with Family, and relatives who hunted and fished, all their lives, so I had no choice, not that I would have resisted.  When I was a kid, I would take my bow and arrows, and get up early in the morning, and go hunting, and had no intention of killing anything, as there wasn't anything, but rabbits, unless I was to come up on a covey of quail, or some medowlarks,which by the way, are tasty.  But it was just relaxing, to have that bow and arrows with me.  Felt right. The rabbits down here are full of tape worms, and wolves.  I have only eaten a few of the rabbits down here.  That was when I was just a young boy.  But yeah, it does feel right, when I am sitting down, and trying to knapp something, even when I ruin a nice point, and fling out a string of obscenities, and then calm down, and go back to another piece of rock.  Any way, I have never sat down and stared at plant, or..... flashlight...... 8)  But I guess I could try and see what happens, but I will be sure to have a roll of paper near by, in case I get cramps...... ;D  Anyway, I do believe we all have a recessive gene, but some of us have just had the right stimulus to bring it out, like a family that hunts, and fishes, or finding that first arrow head, or watching someone make one, etc. ;)

Wayne