Author Topic: Info on Cherokee bows  (Read 38903 times)

Offline Dano

Re: Info on Cherokee bows
« Reply #15 on: May 13, 2008, 10:22:53 pm »
YEP!! Your wife is right, but I'm just funnin. I take back all I said, I didn't know you was from the good side of Kansas City ::) My Grandmother (God rest her soul) born and raised in Kansas, Always wanted a MO. address, so when Grandad retired they moved to The city, The MO. side ;D
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy."

Nevada

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #16 on: May 13, 2008, 11:35:23 pm »
If you don't have any Black Locust, they also employed Osage, so an Osage Cherokee bow would be historically sound.
   Sean 

The relocated Western Cherokee used (and still use) osage, but not traditionally, because osage didn't grow within a thousand miles of here in the Cherokee's original homeland. I guess locust is probably the best wood growing here, so that's what they used when they could get it. They  started using osage after most of the tribe was forced by the government to move to Oklahoma in the early-mid 1800's and of course soon started making bows from it when they settled in its natural range. Historical accounts mention hickory and ash also being used when there was no locust to be had.

Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: May 14, 2008, 01:47:54 am »
...and so would hickory!     Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Skeaterbait

« Reply #18 on: May 14, 2008, 09:52:24 am »
That works out pretty well, I have osage but I have more hickory so last night I started doing a practice run with some hickory. Turns out my hickory ain't as dry as I thought it might be but I got the basic shape and can work on the thickness. Hmmmm, could this be a good excuse to build a hot box?

Sure is nice to be back in a shop so I can make bows again.

Thanks for all your help everyone.

Offline Sidewinder

« Reply #19 on: May 14, 2008, 07:13:35 pm »
Heres a good link to a hotbox like the one I made. You can have it done in less than an hr and a half if you;ve got the materials gathered up.  Hope it helps. I like the looks of that rectangular bend in the handle style.   Danny 

http://www.geocities.com/salampsio/hotbox.htm
"You know a tree by the fruit it bears"   God

Offline Traxx

« Reply #20 on: May 16, 2008, 01:23:43 am »
Good thread.
Not exactly shure why,but this style bow,is the most pleasin to my eye,fer some reason.Now,i know a lot of folks make this style bow,but how many,actually preferr them,to the handled style bows?Am i alone on this one?

Offline 1/2primitive

• Bible believing Christian
« Reply #21 on: May 16, 2008, 01:29:34 am »
If you don't have any Black Locust, they also employed Osage, so an Osage Cherokee bow would be historically sound.
   Sean 

The relocated Western Cherokee used (and still use) osage, but not traditionally, because osage didn't grow within a thousand miles of here in the Cherokee's original homeland. I guess locust is probably the best wood growing here, so that's what they used when they could get it. They  started using osage after most of the tribe was forced by the government to move to Oklahoma in the early-mid 1800's and of course soon started making bows from it when they settled in its natural range. Historical accounts mention hickory and ash also being used when there was no locust to be had.

lol, I should have thought of that....
      Sean
Dallas/Fort Worth Tx.

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #22 on: May 16, 2008, 01:48:27 am »
Good thread.
Not exactly shure why,but this style bow,is the most pleasin to my eye,fer some reason.Now,i know a lot of folks make this style bow,but how many,actually preferr them,to the handled style bows?Am i alone on this one?

None of my Bows has a Handle to speak of....none are more than 1 1/4 inch thick in the Handle area.....most are right at an inch
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline nclonghunter

« Reply #23 on: December 13, 2013, 03:43:14 pm »
Just because Osage did not grow in NC, that doesn't mean they didn't trade for it.

I just finished a 56" nock to nock hickory Cherokee bow. It also bends all the way through the handle. Have not put it on a scale but I am guessing it is 45-50# at 28". Tried a 2 ply sausage casing gut string, but it broke shortly after it got it to brace height.  It was 15 year old casing so I am not surprised. Working on a sinew and dogbane string for it now. It has the diamond nocks and is rectangle in design. I did not detect any hand shock when shooting it.
There are no bad knappers, only bad flakes

Offline Lone500

« Reply #24 on: December 13, 2013, 05:36:58 pm »
them bows just sexy lookin to me
Leon      Saluda, NC

Offline wood_bandit 99

• Shoot straight my friends!!   55#@26"
« Reply #25 on: December 13, 2013, 05:41:48 pm »
They used more hickory then BL, I have heard, but when they had been moved out by white men they found osage and made it out of them.
"Judge a man by his questions, not his answers" ~Anonymous

"The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person who is doing it." ~Chinese Proverb

Offline n2huntn

• jeff_smith13@hotmail.com ROLL TIDE !
« Reply #26 on: December 14, 2013, 10:13:48 am »
nclonghunter... very nice sir. love it ;)
Genesis 27: 3

Offline Traxx

« Reply #27 on: December 14, 2013, 04:00:04 pm »
They used more hickory then BL, I have heard,

I believe,you were misinformed on this.

People,should head Hillbillys words on this subject.The man knows of which he speaks.

Offline Sidewinder

« Reply #28 on: December 14, 2013, 10:53:50 pm »
man you got that stick bendin purty. Good one.
 As far as what the Cherokee made em out of I would not have blamed em if they switched from Hickory to osage. Hickorys good wood but I'll take osage as an all weather bow wood any day. Not near as touchy moisture wise. The couple hickorys I made out here got sluggish when it was damp out. Even with 3 coats of spar urathane still could'nt stop the moisture.
 Thats a dandy of a bow no matter what and  like I said, you sure got it bending nice. Danny
"You know a tree by the fruit it bears"   God

Offline nclonghunter

« Reply #29 on: December 14, 2013, 11:21:59 pm »
Thanks for the positive comments. It's funny but I have made 6-7 useable self bows and want to build more. It is an addiction for sure.
There are no bad knappers, only bad flakes