Author Topic: Info on Cherokee bows  (Read 38938 times)

Offline woe

Re: Info on Cherokee bows
« Reply #30 on: December 22, 2013, 12:46:41 am »
my great great grandmother was only child to king-chief of echota band CHEROKEE   at time of relocation to OK.  THIS INFO CAME FROM my dad n has [per my knowledge] never been published. So have respect if u choose to dispute it.  When a female became pregnant a cutting from a poision horse apple tree was rooted in the  next appropriate season.  The father of child planted cutting in loose rock free floodplain soil n according to sex of child purpose of tree was either to be a spirit[shamanistic] bow made from taproot harvested at male childs fourteenth bday or if female then tree was felled at same year n only above ground wood was used to make bows for trade 4to amass dowery for her wedding.  In those thirteen yrs the father would selectively prun and train tree to best reward his son or daughter.  All the male members of bloodline worked to dig up tap root ever so careful to not harm outer root bark.  This made a perfect longbow for male child if no limbs were alowed until over head high. PH apple=osage

Offline woe

« Reply #31 on: December 22, 2013, 01:05:27 am »
if u have yet to see or feel an osage root, i highly recomend locating young tree near creek bank.  Dig into bank from creek until you see  roots that are brighter orange than the skin of tangerine.  Specimens bigger than ur thumb can be tied into a squre knot n sinched tight n untied for ten days same size spcmn 2 ft long can be crackd like a bullwhip n will break sound barrier.  As long as orange root bark is not violated n tap root is properly greased n dried on jig bows dont have to be tiller at all.  Just stored n airtight skin sleeve except when being shot.  These bows were a sign of the amount of "medicine" in a man , according to his ability to preserve flexibility n shootability.  One of prerequisites to apprentice as shamAn-healer was maintining ones spirit bow til a certain age.  If unsuccesful n root dried up then the staves from same tree were made into bows for warrior To use or trade.  Wahoo is cherokee  word for"to kill from above".

Offline Traxx

« Reply #32 on: December 25, 2013, 05:59:28 pm »
Just happened to stumble onto this,thought i would post it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4xdiiwO4UUc