Author Topic: Pyramid bow.  (Read 9012 times)

Offline superdav95

Pyramid bow.
« on: September 26, 2021, 10:47:56 pm »
Hey guys.  To snake or not to snake?  That’s the question.  I made this great shooter and tillered out really well.  It kept a good reflex and shoots like a rocket.  It pulls at 60# at 28” and bow is 66”ttt. 65”ntn.  It’s widest is just a hair over 1 3/4” tapered down to just under 1/2” tips.  It’s got dark ebony tip overlays.  The handle I kept really basic more in line with a style of pyramid bow.  At least as far as I figure.  It’s shoots my 450grain arrows 192fps. I shot it a bunch today and really love this bow.  I’m not sure how else to describe it as it’s such a no frills basic bow.  I just love the way this shoots.  Had one of my molle bows set up for hunting with side mounted quiver all set and then I get shooting this thing in!  I’ve changed my mind I’m taking this beast instead.  Is this crazy or should I just start really practicing now with this bow.  I’m torn.  Decisions.   Decisions.   I now have to put a backing or paint or snake skins to break up the stark white of the hickory.  I’ll be using a beaver tail skin for the handle wrap once I make up my mind on a pattern or backing first.  I’m also debating on tru oil sealer or poly spray afterward to protect the skins.  Thoughts.  Suggestions????

Here’s a few pics
Sticks and stones and other poky stabby things.

superdav95@gmail.com

Offline superdav95

Re: Pyramid bow.
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2021, 11:15:18 pm »
A few more pics…

superdav95@gmail.com

Offline Don W

• diy.timetestedtools.net/
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2021, 07:57:51 am »
Nice job. I hate snakes, so I don't do snake skin, but I like the looks of dyed rawhide. I'm going to try my hand at painting one as well. Whatever you choose, it'll be great.

I've use tru-oil a lot in the past for everything from firearms, to knives and bows, and it works really well, but I bought a can of marine varnish and really like it. I think it will provide a bit better moisture control.

Nice job on the bow and food luck in the woods
Don

Offline bassman211

« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2021, 08:59:05 am »
I use 5 coats of shellac, and wipe on min poly to finish. You can still radius the arrow shelf. Makes for easier arrow tuning. Just a thought.

Offline superdav95

« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2021, 09:21:40 am »
Nice job. I hate snakes, so I don't do snake skin, but I like the looks of dyed rawhide. I'm going to try my hand at painting one as well. Whatever you choose, it'll be great.

I've use tru-oil a lot in the past for everything from firearms, to knives and bows, and it works really well, but I bought a can of marine varnish and really like it. I think it will provide a bit better moisture control.

Thanks Don.  Try oil is good stuff.  I’ve also been looking fir other other stuff too like spar urethane.  I like that I can get it in satin finish too.   As far as snakes skin.  I guess I’m in agreement.  I also hate snakes when they are alive.  I do however like the on bows.  I’m not a big fan of rawhide myself.  I’ll have to try it on one and then make my judgement.  As for this one I may just put the skins on as I do want a break up pattern on the back so as not spook the deer.  I think it would be cool look with the beaver tail handle wrap too. 

Cheers

Dave

superdav95@gmail.com

Offline superdav95

« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2021, 09:28:12 am »
I use 5 coats of shellac, and wipe on min poly to finish. You can still radius the arrow shelf. Makes for easier arrow tuning. Just a thought.

Bassman.   Yes I know the arrow shelf is a bit square yet.  I’d been holding off until I made up my mind on adding anything on top of shelf or not like a sliver of horn maybe or price a ebony like on the tips.  I may just leave it wood and lime you said just radius it.   Thanks for the feed back.  I’m gonna go look at coating options today. 

Cheers

Dave

superdav95@gmail.com

Offline bassman211

« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2021, 09:48:17 am »
The sliver will work too. Nice bow.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2021, 05:04:28 pm »

;D

Are you hungry, Don, and thinking of grilled venison? That was a very interesting Freudian slip of the tongue wishing food luck.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Selfbowman

« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2021, 08:58:19 pm »
Looking good. Stain it. You pic the color.😁
Well I'll say!!  Osage is king!!

Offline Don W

• diy.timetestedtools.net/
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2021, 09:10:52 pm »

;D

Are you hungry, Don, and thinking of grilled venison? That was a very interesting Freudian slip of the tongue wishing food luck.

;D
Don

Offline superdav95

« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2021, 11:44:36 pm »
So I decided to add the snakes!  It turned out alright I guess.  Still little more clean up to do and some artwork touches to add but they are on and drying.   

superdav95@gmail.com

Offline bentstick54

« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2021, 12:04:39 am »
Great looking bow. I like the looks of the snakeskin also. I’ve put rattlesnake on 2 osage, and copperhead on 1 osage. I use Truoil on all mine, then a light spray of satin poly over that to dull the shine on the ones I hunt with. So far it has worked well for me.

Offline superdav95

« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2021, 06:54:30 pm »
Thanks bentstick.   

I was planning to put spar urethane on it that is a brush on satin finish.  I never thought to use poly spray.  Would it be ok over top of the true oil?   I’ll have to consider this as the finish using the spray will be nicer as I plan to hunt with this bow.  Can it come in a matte finish?

Thanks again

Dave

superdav95@gmail.com

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2021, 07:11:13 pm »
Dave.....
Epifanes has a spar wood matte finish in conjuction with it's gloss finish that gives a dull matte finish to my bows.It's a top quality spar varnish.Dries completely within a couple of days too.All depending on humidity of course.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline Yooper Bowyer

• formerly Tradcraftsman
« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2021, 09:37:36 pm »
Very nice, but you have to tell us about those fancy looking sticks in the back ground.  ;D