Author Topic: Glue for horn tip overlays  (Read 2229 times)

bownarra

Re: Glue for horn tip overlays
« Reply #15 on: October 02, 2021, 02:50:52 am »
I’m talking horn. I think I’ll use Tb2

No! Just use quality superglue. No need to use anything else.

This bowanarra knows everything. Arvin

Well I have made over 600 bows, with overlays on the majority of them. So yes I do know about overlays and most things bow making. you tend to pick up a thing or two when you do something for your living over many years......If I didn't know the answers to these questions I wouldn't waste peoples time. Is that ok?
I could give a truely comprehensive answer on the pro and cons of most glue types for this application but..........whats the point! Few listen and peoples ego's can get in the way haha.

Rps3 - well you did something wrong then didn't you! Are you trying to say that tb2 is made to glue horn to wood? It isn't! Ask Titebond! Horn is quite adifferent material.....as I said above it may work but isn't optimal. Without seeing how you prepared your tip overlays that 'came off' I can't offer more than guesses at why they failed. There are a few possible reasons why if you would like me to go into it. When a proven method fails it is normally a better idea to go through your procedure and find out what you have done incorrectly rather than just sack off the method ;)

Offline loefflerchuck

• www.heartwoodbows.com
« Reply #16 on: October 03, 2021, 12:53:09 am »
Just to keep it primitive I like hide/sinew glue. To do it right it takes a couple days of thin glue sizing, then a couple weeks to dry. With super glue you can shoot the next day. However I would hold hide glue superior long term after years of shooting.

Offline rps3

« Reply #17 on: October 03, 2021, 02:46:11 pm »
Bownarra, I'm not trying to say anything other than relaying my experience with ca glue and horn tips. I've had failures with ca glue, and none with tight bond. I very well may have done something wrong with ca glue, but tightbond hasnt let me down yet.

Offline AndrewS

« Reply #18 on: October 03, 2021, 05:21:37 pm »
So far (in 25 years) I have tried different adhesives for everything. I have glued tip overlays with superglue, with epoxy glue and also with wood glue (for hardwood overlays) and   I also have fixed the overlays wirh pins through the Horn and the wood. I have had failures with superglue and also with epoxy, especially with very small overlays. With superglue, however, I had significantly more problems.... so I recommended epoxy for the combination of wood with horn. May be I have not used  the right super glue?

P.S. if you upholster the strings in the ears properly, you can do without tipoverlays  especially with the harder woods such as Osage, Hickory, etc..

Offline Yooper Bowyer

• formerly Tradcraftsman
« Reply #19 on: October 03, 2021, 05:24:23 pm »
Your all talking about super glue, but there are dozens of different forms of cyanoacrylate, the adhesive ingredient.

Offline bassman211

« Reply #20 on: October 03, 2021, 07:05:01 pm »
Had to many add on handles pop off the bow with tb3. I would re glue with AD-40, and never had a problem. From then on I use AD-40 for handle glue up, and horn tip over lays. Never looked back, and no more problems. Works best for me.