Author Topic: Hunters moon  (Read 9138 times)

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
Hunters moon
« on: October 18, 2021, 11:30:02 am »
Maybe some of you go by this or at least keep track of it.Supposed to come in the middle of this week.Meteor shower too.
The bucks are beginning to roam pretty well here lately anyway already.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline TimBo

Re: Hunters moon
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2021, 11:41:42 am »
I usually just go when I can go...but I do have Wednesday evening free.  Maybe knowing this will make me a bit extra alert!  Probably more important to hear the bucks are roaming, but interesting info anyway.

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2021, 06:26:13 am »
Temperature changes I think are the biggest determining factors in timing of movement of some of these animals like coon and deer for instance.The colder the sooner they move before dusk.The hotter the later.There's always exceptions though but generally so.Cats and coyotes are constantly on the move no matter how cold it gets.Especially at night where they have more advantage over rabbits and mice.In fact more so the colder it gets.They are hungrier.
The deer will still bed down to ruminant and conserve energy in the warmest part of the day as they've always done.
In the end it's all about their bodys' BTU's.
As far as scent hanging in the air goes barometric pressure can be a determining factor also.Low pressure it'll want to drift more and high pressure it'll stay lower to the ground.
Temperature can get in the determination also.Ecessive heat will make it rise especially cat hunting in the day time on a trail over rocky terrain.Hot thermals in the sun.Cold will hold it down to a degree.Coon hunting all over these states made me aware of that in all types of weather.Dry,wet,cold,hot,raining,frosty,or snow covered.Windy or calm.Of course for trailing hounds a little moisture is desirable also.That's why I've always loved hound hunting on the snow.
All this acquired info comes from decades of hard trail and treehound hunting year round.
As far as full moon at night determination of movement goes many think full moon coon don't move well.I disagree with that.Same myth about don't hunt with an easterly wind.You just have to have a good enough hound out there.Good layup dogs come in handy.Deer move very well on a full moon too.Even squirrels in the tress moving at night during a full moon.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2021, 01:30:38 pm by BowEd »
BowEd
Ed

Offline PaSteve

« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2021, 06:53:45 pm »
Thanks Ed. Some quality information right there.
"It seems so much more obvious with bows than with other matters, that we are the guardians of the prize we seek." Dean Torges

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2021, 07:36:25 pm »
It does'nt make sense to have everything perfect before you hunt.It's why they call it hunting.Doing the best you can is what counts.Just being aware is good enough to sharpen your senses to not waste your time.
Too windy or raining too hard can put the kybosh on a lot of my deer hunting.Deer IMO don't like it either.It makes them nervous from the noises.Plus with higher winds the deer can smell a person from a long ways off.Of course your gonna see a big buck during the rut roaming in the feezing rain though.Nothing stops them from their mission.
On my 30 acres of hunting ground that is'nt farmed on it is on 2 parts.The small odd shaped areas with white lines around them are either crp [grass] or woods.An odd shaped piece running along a wash approximately 1/4 of a mile long and approximately 150 yards wide with mature trees and newly planted trees along it with a little patch of woods of a couple of acres on 1 end.That stretch encompasses only 17 acres.I do hunt along the fence line that has trees along it too to fill the balance of the 30 acres.Total of farm with row crop and hay added is approximately 85 acres.What I call an inside 80 with no roads along it.Just a half mile driveway to the yard.The wide angled white line is my driveway to the yard.The hammer shaped squared piece is the wooded buffer strip along the wash which encompasses most of my hunting ground.
Advantage for me here is that I have control over this area,but across the fence I don't which is hunted also.It's taken me years to weed out locals from walking over top my ground through hunting season before I came.I had to call the game warden once on account of an Amish shooting a large buck on my side of the fence line before.Putting up NO HUNTING signs every block along my fence lines to get my point across.
Disadvantage is that a small area like this can get over hunted [spooking deer out] unless it is hunted correctly from many different stands and taking notice of deer activity.

To put my hunting season into perspective if I get 4 decent shots at close range through an approximately 60-70 day bow hunting season with 1/3 of those days a no go because of weather or something else and multiple sittings in the stands I'm doing good.Those are the odds.In more detail that's around 1 shot every 12 to 15 sittings in a tree stand or blind.Hundreds of hours,but as hunting can go sometimes the stars can align and success can come sooner without exactly knowing when.That's why they call it hunting.
If it was easy I guess everyone would be doing it.
Companies selling miracle tools for success are grossly over rated to the point of fraudulance without the basics of hunting used,which if used properly will get the job done on it's own.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2021, 09:10:26 am by BowEd »
BowEd
Ed

Offline Allyn T

• I'm addicted to information
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2021, 09:42:25 pm »
I wish I could hunt around weather but with a little one and a job that doesn't have a set quitting time I just go when I can.
In the woods I find my peace

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2021, 04:44:54 am »
Yes I can understand that fully for the working man with a family at home.I'm retired here so I wait for opportunities.Regardless yet though the deer will educate a person trying.We all have our goals in life hopefully to accomplish.
I just went out today against my instincts on a windy day and sure enough a doe smelled me way down wind from a block away.It does not bode well for me in the future for that area now for a while.Rather chilly  with another cold front coming through which might change things again.Had one doe within 8 yards of me before that but almost straight at me and quartered slightly.I refused to take the shot from above.Anything broadside or quartered away is a go.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2021, 01:45:20 pm by BowEd »
BowEd
Ed

Offline Allyn T

« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2021, 12:18:33 pm »
Man today in Missouri would be a great day to hunt. Nice cold front came in last night. It's all blustery and cold

Offline Patches

« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2021, 06:03:03 pm »
In Western MO the deer were moving like crazy this morning.  I had about a 1.5 hour drive to my work site and seen deer the entire trip. 

I am hunting tomorrow.  Hopefully some are still moving.

Neal     
"You are never a complete failure as long as you can be used as a bad example..."

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2021, 06:33:36 am »
Deer are moving well here too and are beginning to get hit on the road more often from all the extra movement.After first frost many dead coon along the roads.It's their sign to fatten up for the winter.
The thing I've got to watch here is over hunting on a smaller area.It'll spook them out.Slipping in and out undetected etc.I've gotta keep my does here.The bucks are showing up regularly.It's a hot time.
Wind direction at stand ultra important.If you ever watch smoke come out of a burn barrel when the wind is high it's no wonder deer smell people.It'll come out of there in a swirl dipping and diving changing course at least 45 degrees.Their nose is as good as any of my hounds were and I've had some good ones.Winding coon from well over a couple of hundred yards away.
The wind will die down.Just gotta be patient.
It's gonna be time for the long johns soon to get put on too as it's cooling off a bit more yet.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2021, 01:15:43 pm by BowEd »
BowEd
Ed

Offline Allyn T

« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2021, 08:38:09 am »
That's what I was wonder about, how many deer I never even see because they smelled me from far off and just took another route

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2021, 01:37:13 am »
A couple of cold fronts are expected to hit the high country and plains this weekend and early next week.  Haven't seen any deer yet, but the corn isn't all in and a lot of grain crops are stallion the field.  the mill is running long hours.  Hope we get some action with the rut!
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2021, 09:27:07 am »
The deer that smelled me was on the move from it's bed in the bottom slew grass.I'm sure of that.I know where they come from being bedded down.My mistake going out on such a windy day.The scent will carry a long long ways.Just a matter of going out with the wind layed down and from the right way.There is a good chance yet.Just smelling me around here is'nt quite as alarming to move completely out of the area for good as seeing me is on top of it.She did'nt do that.Movement route may change though for a bit.Many does' out there that did'nt smell me either and I bet in your situation also.If they smell you they'll let you know.
Deer seem to run on a system that makes them 90% to a nervous break down 24 hours a day.Can't blame them since everything is after them.They smell alarming things to them quite often since they take the responsibility of looking out for their fawns,but yea man is a major red flag to them.They reeducate seasoned hunters all the time.
A couple of my stands are just too close together,but they are on their travel routes.Patience and time will win out in the long run.I try to get shooting lanes from different directions for different ways the wind wlll come from.
The corn will be out soon and seeing them flat out in the open will become more evident.Larger groups will show themselves.I've seen as many as close to 30 or more in the past.There will be plenty of lost ears on the ground I'm sure for them to browse on.My friend who farms my corn lets me know what's going on while combining too.I used to see the numbers of deer myself while coon hunting and know they are out there.
Too windy again this morning.Maybe this evening if the wind lays down.Usually does except in the winter when it can come up at midnight or anytime.Front will have come through by then.Wind will be from the east and very light by then hopefully.With that though some light rain is coming.East wind is always a wet direction most times.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2021, 01:00:40 pm by BowEd »
BowEd
Ed

Offline Fox

« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2021, 02:35:51 pm »
I hunt on public land but no one really hunts around here except a few people on private land so I pretty much for the most part have the whole forest to myself as far as hunters go... but the deer population is scarce and I have yet to actually see one while I'm sitting next to the "prime" deer trails. If I see a deer it's when I'm hiking into my hunting spot and they always see me first  :( my odds are not great I have a trail camera on my best trail and see a deer maybe every few days on it, usually around 2:00 in the middle of the day, strange? I can usually only get out two times a week for an afternoon hunt, so my odds a pretty low of getting a shot the whole season. I guess I can hope to get lucky
Why must we make simple things so complicated?

Offline Allyn T

« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2021, 03:30:25 pm »
Fox I'd consider hunting near where you bump deer on your way in.