Author Topic: Horn bow???  (Read 23090 times)

Offline superdav95

Horn bow???
« on: December 31, 2021, 07:20:25 pm »
So it’s been busy and I haven’t posted anything in a bit.  I had been working on this quick and dirty test horn bow.  I was pleasantly surprised at how well it turned out despite my doubts it would work all that well.  I bought couple sets of water Buffalo horn strips from Ed (bowed) little while ago and fixed on making a test bow using couple strips on one of my 5 piece Mongolian style bows.  Not my design for sure but some tweaks of my own but who’s to say it hasn’t been already done too.  We shall see.  So I used bamboo as my core (moso). I heat treated this bamboo as well which I believe helped in the end.  I used hhb (iron wood) for the syahs and angle lammed with more horn for looks and used hickory for the handle.  I v notched the syahs into the bamboo at the limb ends as can be seen from the pics.  Let me know what you think so far.  It’s not completely done yet but shootable and tillered up.  Not sure on a stain for the boo yet but think something dark.  I did not do backing or sinew on this one.  Wanted to test the idea of unbacked boo horn bow for kicks.  So far it shoots like a rocket. Don’t mind the green tape!  Lol  No chrono yet and haven’t shoot at full draw yet either.    it’s around 45-50 lbs from what I estimate. 

Cheers
Sticks and stones and other poky stabby things.

superdav95@gmail.com

Offline superdav95

Re: Horn bow???
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2021, 08:14:48 pm »
I’ll post few more pics tomorrow and try and get some measurements posted here too. Thanks again bowEd for the horn!   I went little narrower on the limbs on this one as the horn added a lot of weight so it helped in reducing weight down.  I’ll weight the bow too tomorrow. 

Like I said this is just a test bow and only used ea 40 epoxy and will eventually try one with hide glue or fish glue maybe.  It was nice to cut my teeth on working with horn on this one before deep diving on full fledged horn bow.  I will try one eventually one day. 

Cheers

superdav95@gmail.com

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2022, 07:29:52 am »
Your welcome.You went right to work there and got a close to finished bow without sinew.Looks great and bet it draws sweet.Your right the whole process with sinew takes a lot longer time.It's matter of knowing the thickness & width of each material for a final template.The more you make the more insight you get knowing where to start at for draw weight with thickness/width and length.
Using denser materials as a core is a good idea too.
Estimating draw weight on horn takes a few bows to get in the ball park.Getting Adam Karpowitzes book on building turkish horn bows would help later if you have a notion going that route.It's a gradual bow building process 1 bow after another.I posted a build-a-long on the thickness to draw weight guide using gemsbok horn in the early days stated in reply no.28.http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,42181.msg564713.html#msg564713
To me it's really interesting densitizing the bellys on these bows whether its' with heat or a denser material.
Usually the horn is glued over the V notch of the siyahs but it should hold up ok.Sinew wrapping is an option there too.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2022, 06:32:02 pm by BowEd »
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline superdav95

« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2022, 12:52:43 am »
Thanks bowed    Funny story on the v notch actually.  I had originally built this bow little longer and glued the syahs on the top of the bamboo and the secured with cord by wrapping tight.  I guess I flattened little too much and weekened the tip and it snapped.  So I had to shorten it and v notch the boo with the horn lammed into the syahs.  It ended up looking cool anyway and it seems to be holding up.  Should I wrap them you think???

Cheers

superdav95@gmail.com

Offline simk

« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2022, 07:10:39 am »
very good job Dave! looks crafted perfectly! would like to see the tiller  ;)
You could still turn it into a full hornbow by adding some sinew at this point. But maybe better start from new and glueup horn an boo with a ton of reflex before sinewing - that's what will make the difference in performace to a "normal" bow!
--- the queen rules ----

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2022, 01:22:16 pm »
Thanks bowed    Funny story on the v notch actually.  I had originally built this bow little longer and glued the syahs on the top of the bamboo and the secured with cord by wrapping tight.  I guess I flattened little too much and weekened the tip and it snapped.  So I had to shorten it and v notch the boo with the horn lammed into the syahs.  It ended up looking cool anyway and it seems to be holding up.  Should I wrap them you think???

Cheers
I've actually never done it that way but have seen others do it without wrapping.I imagine they held up.No follow up was ever posted on those though.
Yours was a 5 piece correct?Mine were usually all 1 piece.
Looks like there's plenty of thickness there at that V splice and one thing I do know about EA 40 is that it is a very good glue in those situations of shock after release etc.It should hold up as that glue is impervious to environmental conditions and it's bonding power if applied to their directions holds up to it's claims.
It does make the bow look a little cleaner that way without the wrappings.
BowEd
Ed

Offline superdav95

« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2022, 08:27:04 pm »
very good job Dave! looks crafted perfectly! would like to see the tiller  ;)
You could still turn it into a full hornbow by adding some sinew at this point. But maybe better start from new and glueup horn an boo with a ton of reflex before sinewing - that's what will make the difference in performace to a "normal" bow!

Thanks Simk!  I appreciate that.  I may just leave this one unbacked and fiddle with it a bit more and finish it up.  It draws nicely and shoots very good for what it is really. After unstringing it only takes about 10mins to fully creep back to its orig resting limb straightness shape.  I think the next one I will do will be lammed with horn over top the v notch properly and gather enough sinew by then.  I’ve got almost enough back strap to do one side but will have to source more to do entire bow.  I’ll make the syahs little longer next time as well.  Ed sent me some nice pieces of horn!   I’ll try and get a stain and sealer done on it this week and do some full draw pics and chrono shots.  I’m gonna weight the bow too. It seems very light in the hand compared to my other bamboo Mongolian style bows. 

Cheers

superdav95@gmail.com

bownarra

« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2022, 01:46:36 am »
what an interesting bow :)
Glad it worked out for you.
Personally I'd wrap the splices.

Offline superdav95

« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2022, 01:35:44 pm »
what an interesting bow :)
Glad it worked out for you.
Personally I'd wrap the splices.

Thanks Bownarra. I had fun with it to learn a bit with horn.  Motivation for the real thing too. Lol.  I’m gonna take your suggestion too and wrap the splices.  As cool of a look it is with the contrasting materials I’d feel safer with them wrapped for sure.  It’s only about 48-50 lbs at 28” and I’m probably over thinking it but better safe then sorry.  My gut was telling me to wrap them anyway. 

Cheers

superdav95@gmail.com

Offline superdav95

« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2022, 01:42:36 pm »
Btw. All.  I did purchase a digital copy of Adams Karpowitz book and found myself up to 2am reading it and skimming through it!  Wow awesome resource.  I’ll be glad I have it when I brave my next one. 

Cheers

superdav95@gmail.com

Offline chasonhayes

« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2022, 04:43:33 pm »
What's a siyah?

bownarra

« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2022, 03:54:56 am »
What's a siyah?
[/quoteIt is a name that is used for the stiff non-bending part of the limb.

Offline superdav95

« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2022, 05:46:30 pm »
It’s been cold here!  Haven’t had chance to give this bow a real test yet but did manage to put a couple coats of epifanes spar finish on and it’s dry now.  I’m gonna redo the finish though I hate it.  Well I don’t hate it but I don’t like it either!  I’ve seen some nice sunburst type finish’s that I’d like to try on this one using feibings leather dye.  I took some measurements of the bow.  Ntn- 52.5”.  Ttt-53.5”.  Limbs at widest part 1.5” tapering starts about half way out to the tips which are 1/2” wide.  The brace height at mid limb is about 6.5”.   Siyahs approx 6.5” long x 1” wide x just over 3/16” thick at the tips.  I haven’t wrapped the splices yet as I’m wanting to redo the stain.  I did some more shooting and got a couple reading on my chrono before battery died.  Readings ranged from 168-174 FPS with a 360 grain arrow.  My best guess at this point is that I’m drawing to around 22-23” at the most.  If I figure roughly losing 2-3lbs per inch of draw reduction and the bow tillered out to approx 48lbs at 28” then I estimate I was shooting at a draw weight around 35-38lbs which isn’t bad I’d say.   I’m optimistic that once I get the stain done and siyahs wrapped and get out to full draw I’ll see some encouraging numbers.  Anyways. Here are some pics. 

superdav95@gmail.com

Offline superdav95

« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2022, 05:49:47 pm »
Some more pics…

superdav95@gmail.com

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2022, 07:10:35 am »
It's been below 0 F. here too.So much for global warming again in this area anyway.
Dean Torges method and style of a sunburst pattern has been a go to by many.Black/red/tan/yellow fadings to and fro.Starting with lightest color overall.Then the next darkest overall fading at stopping point.Then the next darkest fading overall at stopping point and so on.http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,60623.0.html
Should look very nice.
You don't want to change your mind then though....ha ha.It ought to make a stunning looking bow.
After getting those wraps on and shooting it in to your full draw of course.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2022, 09:39:33 am by BowEd »
BowEd
Ed