Author Topic: Tillering advice  (Read 2431 times)

Offline NewBowyer

Re: Tillering advice
« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2022, 06:26:33 pm »
That is super helpful, thanks much!

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2022, 08:54:33 am »
Right at the end of the red mark on the yellow side of it, not a deep hinge but a overly weak spot. Adjust your gizmo pencil down to 1/8" to the limb at that spot and give it a sweep up and down the limb, it will be an eye opener. After you check the left limb use the same setting to sweep the right, the gizmo will mark a good bit of the right limb because it is a bit stiffer.

Set you gizmo at the same draw length you took the picture at.

Here is an old artists trick, to see detail that may have escaped you, squint your eyes and look again, squinty eyes catch detail better for some reason.

Offline NewBowyer

« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2022, 03:29:26 pm »
Thanks for that clarity. I’m putting tillering on hold today while I’m attempting to fire harden it; hopefully that won’t change the tiller too much but just in case, I wanted to do it before it was finished. Still planning on a rawhide backing as well; I assume that should precede final tillering too?

Offline NewBowyer

« Reply #18 on: January 25, 2022, 07:09:59 pm »
Finally finished it today- still didn’t get perfect tiller but it’s very close and easily my best one yet by far. Ended up 43# @28” and shoots a 1916 pretty hard, which weighs 425 gr. Even after being strung for a bit and shooting some arrows, it goes right back to original shape, no set at all yet. Probably because of the natural reflex, rawhide backing, and fire hardening, I guess?

Offline NewBowyer

« Reply #19 on: January 25, 2022, 07:12:23 pm »
More pics of the grip (need to figure out how to keep the pics from turning sideways!)

Offline Nasr

« Reply #20 on: January 25, 2022, 07:40:27 pm »
Good job enjoy shooting her it won’t be long until you’ll be thinking of the next one.