Author Topic: Recurves: Are they worth the work?  (Read 4301 times)

Offline WhistlingBadger

• Future Expert
Re: Recurves: Are they worth the work?
« Reply #30 on: February 03, 2022, 01:21:42 pm »
So, what you're all saying is...it depends.  Just what I expected.  :)  Pros and cons, like so many other things in archery.  I think I'm going to try making two more-or-less identical bows, one with curves and one straight, and see which I like better--the build, the performance, the looks.  Thanks for all the questions.

One more question:  I hear people talking about "flipping the tips."  What does that mean, exactly?  It seems like it is almost but not quite synonymous with "recurving the tips."  Can anybody clarify for me?
Thomas
Lander, Wyoming
"The trail is the thing, not the end of the trail.
Travel too fast, and you miss all you are traveling for."
~Louis L'Amour

gutpile

« Reply #31 on: February 03, 2022, 01:56:24 pm »
flipping the tips is not recurving at all.. it is simply reflexing the last 5 or so inches of a straight bow. ..I usually flip my tips on my longbows for a few reasons.. one , it looks good on unbraced and braced profile and helps with speed slightly.. much easier to flip tips than recurve.. usually dry heat is all you need ....on a bow that has taken a lil set it helps the most.. IMO..  gut

Offline Selfbowman

« Reply #32 on: February 03, 2022, 02:36:55 pm »
I think it was Ed that said recurves should have at least 2” of string laying on the limb to be considered much of a recurve. I agree. It’s a longbow when less than one inch. The bow above has probably close to 2” on the limbs. That’s why I said close to flipped tip. Could brace it higher but I like it where it is. Lots of different opinions on this I’m sure. Nothing to argue about though. How ever it feels good to is the right way.🤠
Well I'll say!!  Osage is king!!

Offline PatM

« Reply #33 on: February 03, 2022, 02:53:52 pm »
Flipping tips is just a milder degree of recurving.  It can't be anything else.

Offline Selfbowman

« Reply #34 on: February 03, 2022, 04:09:43 pm »
Ok

Offline WhistlingBadger

• Future Expert
« Reply #35 on: February 03, 2022, 05:51:34 pm »
OK, so flipping the tips is to recurve as Brittney Spears is to Lady Gaga:  Same basic idea, just not taken to the same extreme.  Gotcha.
Thomas
Lander, Wyoming
~Louis L'Amour

Offline sleek

« Reply #36 on: February 03, 2022, 06:25:11 pm »
OK, so flipping the tips is to recurve as Brittney Spears is to Lady Gaga:  Same basic idea, just not taken to the same extreme.  Gotcha.

I really had to hold back a busted gut laughing at this
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #37 on: February 04, 2022, 09:49:28 am »
The one thing about the more extreme type of static recurves is that I'm not a fan of is the bracing of them.As I don't like the through the legs type of bracing procedure.As the push pull and primitive bracer type of bracing is'nt possible for me.
Another thing about the recurve look.Having the look at brace and full draw does not tell the whole story as far as performance goes.It's in the amount of reflex that the working limbs have.The unbraced profile.The amount of early draw weight it has or storage energy.
That holds true for a straight tipped bow limb too.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2022, 10:22:12 am by BowEd »
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #38 on: February 04, 2022, 10:18:14 am »
Ed, I use a push/pull style bracing normally but with most recurves I use a bow stringer and even then you have to be careful the bow doesn't flip on you as you work towards brace.

Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #39 on: February 04, 2022, 10:25:10 am »
Yes it's a PITA.I have a sliding type rubber bracer I use.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline WhistlingBadger

• Future Expert
« Reply #40 on: February 04, 2022, 10:45:03 am »
Yeah, I've found that with my fi#@*gl@$$ recurve. I use one of those stringers with the cup on one end and the soft rubber pad on the other.  Doesn't word great on a recurve, and I think the friction would be bad on a sinew or snake-backed bow.  So...Might make sense to carve double nocks into one end so I can use a loop stringer.
Thomas
Lander, Wyoming
~Louis L'Amour

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #41 on: February 04, 2022, 12:14:53 pm »
My stringers have a leather cup on each end. I never trusted the ones with the cup on one end and the rubber pad on the other. 
I guess to each his own.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Selfbowman

« Reply #42 on: February 04, 2022, 12:32:14 pm »
I use push  pull method on all but the heavy bows that can’t string at all. I have two rounded boards on my bench that I use for them. I still have to really use might fat body to pull them back far enough to get it strung. I know stringing recurves that way are a bit dangerous but. I’m not the sharpest tack in the box about somethings.🤠

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #43 on: February 04, 2022, 04:26:47 pm »
if you like the way they shoot its worth the work,,its a personal preferance,,I am a hunter,, so if the arrow is going fast enough to take the game,, straight tip of recurve is fine for me,,

Offline WhistlingBadger

• Future Expert
« Reply #44 on: February 04, 2022, 05:45:18 pm »
if you like the way they shoot its worth the work,,its a personal preferance,,I am a hunter,, so if the arrow is going fast enough to take the game,, straight tip of recurve is fine for me,,

That's very much the way I feel.  I think I'll try a recurve just so I can say I did one.  I'm planning on putting in a lot of reflex with the sinew back, so I don't think speed will be a problem.  If it's good enough to perforate an elk, it's good enough.
Thomas
Lander, Wyoming
~Louis L'Amour