Author Topic: Got my dyer mocs repaired  (Read 3394 times)

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
Got my dyer mocs repaired
« on: February 15, 2022, 07:34:00 am »
They are doubled soled mocs.

Repaired.

BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
Re: Got my dyer mocs repaired
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2022, 08:45:14 am »
Those look really comfy Ed. And by the wear I’m thinking you agree.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2022, 10:38:59 am »
Back in the early 1970's I had a pair of ankle high, lace up mocs made by Walter Dyer. I wore either them or the sandles I made all the time. I don't know where they went though. Yours look quite comfortable.
The guy I learned leather work from in Savannah learned from Walter Dyer and DD Holiday from Jacksonville, Fla. Together these two guys used to make dance shows for Isadora Duncan back in the 1920's and 30's. The sandles we made back then came out of the Bohemian era by these two guys.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2022, 12:42:20 pm »
Carl Dyer and sons made mine.They call them Carl Dyers' Orignals.They sold a lot of them to buckskinners.I acquired mine back in the early 1980's.Back then I bought this pair for $70.00.They are now around $400.00.They are located in Friendship,Indiana.
Back then their sales pitch was since our mocs are double soled with 1/4" thick layers anytime you wear out 1 layer they would resole it for nothing but the shipping.
Not so any more as there is a charge along with the shipping but still a lot less to resole than buying new.
Took me close to 40 years to wear through the first thickness of sole.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2022, 04:48:33 am by BowEd »
BowEd
Ed

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2022, 01:38:08 pm »
Yeah, I think Walter Dyer was in Massachusetts back then. I guess they are related. I have no idea what my mocs cost back then.
 When we made sandles we'd replace the leather soles for the cost of materials and shipping. I had a black friend that was a shrimper. He wore his sandles always and I would replace the leather soles once a year. Another customer was a barber and I'd replace his once every 2 years. When I'd take the old leather soles off a ton of hair would fall out. The leather soles were cobbled with brass clinch nails, not sewn back then.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline chamookman

« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2022, 03:42:22 am »
Have a Pair just like Yours Ed for at least 25 years. Can't wear 'Em out, used to bout live in them. Still wear them once in a while. Have a Pair of Poppin's Pucker Toes now, got them around 5 years ago - most confortable I've ever had! Bob
"May the Gods give Us the strength to draw the string to the cheek, the arrow to the barb and loose the flying shaft, so long as life may last." Saxon Pope - 1923.

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2022, 04:50:18 am »
Yes I've got Poppins' brochure too.They look like some nice ones' too only cheaper priced.
BowEd
Ed

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2022, 08:30:23 am »
Nice save ED, did you repair them or have them done, Tom from Poppins comes to the Classic and I have a couple of pairs of them[high top and low cut] I wear the quite often but in the hills and hollows with leaves they are pretty slick so have to be careful when out for a hike, wished their was a way to fix that  ??? because they are really comfortable to wear.
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2022, 10:43:39 am »
Pappy, you could probably glue a thin piece of crepe rubber to the bottoms to add more traction.  When I was making sandles we started making them with crepe bottoms because the leather bottoms were so slick when they got wet. Totally different construction types for sandles with leather and crepe soles.

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2022, 03:47:09 pm »
I've seen a pair or two of the Poppins' mocs.Nice mocs.Still not as heavy duty as the dyers though.
It's reflected in their pricing too.
With the Dyers there's a breaking in period wearing them.Best to walk through a creek with them on.Then wear them dry.
The occasional slickness I've had with them has'nt bothered me much.
I had them sew it up.Looking at it I probably could have done it myself too.
BowEd
Ed

Offline Gimlis Ghost

« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2022, 05:16:15 pm »
I had a pair of mocasins many years ago that had similar elk hide soles. The leather was so tough that stepping on a tack simply curled the point of the tack.

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2022, 07:57:07 pm »
With these Dyers there is two 1/4" thick layers on the sole.
BowEd
Ed