Author Topic: 2022 Bow Trade - complete  (Read 32991 times)

Offline Swampman

• Primitive Archer subscription number PM109299
Re: 2022 Bow Trade - build in progress
« Reply #165 on: October 13, 2022, 09:40:56 pm »
Well I ended up using all the time available in this trade but I will have my trade bow finished up tomorrow.  I had a lot of troubles with my iron wood bow and finally abandoned it.  I went back to my black locust build and made a few tweaks and it came in right at the weight I needed.  I was even able to shoot it in as my shoulder is finally getting back into shape.

All I have left is the leather handle wrap. I have the leather cut and will get that on it tomorrow. I wrote on it tonight so it will be ready to go tomorrow. 

It is another sap wood black locust build.  It is a sister stave to the bow I built for the trade last year. 

Offline ssrhythm

« Reply #166 on: October 13, 2022, 11:24:48 pm »
Ok...last post before I post that I have mailed the bow.  I've done all I can do with this one.  I had arrows tuned before sanding and finishing and putting on the shelf silencers...after I did all that, the wind decided to pick up and blow 30 and not freaking stop.  Hopefully I can catch some wind free moments in the wee hours tomorrow am to zero in on the bare shaft arrow tune.  If I can, I'll build a couple of arrows for this and mail it Saturday am; if not, I will just pack this up and mail tomorrow with the arrows that were tuned prior to me sanding and finishing.  I'll post up when I mail it, and thanks to Kidder and all for the patience.

Bow is 66.5" tip to tip with mild to moderate static recurves.  It has taken a degree of set that has just really ticked me off, as this was super wide ringed, low % early wood osage that I built overly long and wide.  I was hoping these qualities would overcome my lack of tillering expertise, but no...it took a fair amount of set.  That said, it rebounds fairly well after being unstrung and resting for a few hours and the tips are still ~2.25" in front of the bow back at the shelf...so I'll say this is a naturally occurring deflex-reflex design that I was subconsciously aiming to make the whole time... ;D.  Being as long and wide as it is, it has some hand shock, but not terrible.  Regardless, the set bothers me, but I hope the recipient finds that it makes the bow easy and accurate to shoot.

I put some self stick velcro on the shelf and strike plate area for noise reduction and protection, because I did not want to install something that might negatively affect how it shoots and something that would be difficult for the recipient to redo.  This can easily be removed and replaced with something more primitive and beautiful and natural, but it is super quiet and forgiving...anyhoo, I know it ain't pretty, but it is easy to change and works really well for hunting.

This is a self bow.  I skinned it for camo for hunting purposes with two bull snake skins (ROADKILL...I won't kill a bull snake for anything, but I'll pick up every  one of the hundreds I see dead on the road each year if they aren't too damaged).  Thread job where the skins played out was looking sweet with the gold and black colors of the major college of the state that my recipient resides in...until I hit it with CA. The gold turned brown...which sucked...but at least it matched the snake skins.

Finish is buffed wax over 10 coats of TruOil.  String is 14 strand D97 with Wool Yarn String Poofs.

Bow finished at 59# @28".

I'm probably only pulling it 27" when I've been shooting it in.  I pulled it back a little extra today while running arrows through the crony.  I doubt I was pulling more than 28", but I could have been.  Regardless, It shot a 29.5" 555 grain 70-75 surewood shaft Doug fir arrow 177 then 176, so it'll kill a critter.

I'll post a couple of pics now, but will wait until my guy gets it before posting up the full bevy of pics.

;;

Offline ssrhythm

« Reply #167 on: October 14, 2022, 03:51:08 pm »
I'm officially sick to my stomach.  Mo and Kidder, please watch this video.  I'll post a second video of me doing the final bare shaft tuning and speed check a bit after I post this first video.  The video is an explanation of my sickness and is for any/all of the bow trade participants this year.  I wanted to just do a video since I was already slo-mo videoing the shooting session, and I figured if I started to type an explanation, I'd just end up writing a novel as I got more and more pissed as I typed.  So here it is, sorry folks.

https://youtu.be/vkruDSBoRS8

Offline ssrhythm

« Reply #168 on: October 14, 2022, 07:11:03 pm »
Last post for this thread this year.  I figured I'd go ahead and put a clip of the end of the shooting session this am.  This was originally a slo mo video, so forgive the hand signals I use to communicate with myself when watching the vids for tuning purposes.  It's a bit goofy.  Anyhoo, three groups were shot, and you can hear the bow begin and continue to fail on the last group.  Watch if you want to see what you never want to experience live.  Arrgh!

https://youtu.be/THVS-MsQZEg

Offline superdav95

« Reply #169 on: October 15, 2022, 10:35:06 am »
Man that is disappointing.  That tick sound is the worst.  That was a lot of work to have it do that.  I feel your pain. 
Sticks and stones and other poky stabby things.

superdav95@gmail.com

Offline stuckinthemud

• avenue woodcarving
« Reply #170 on: October 15, 2022, 12:14:00 pm »
Devastated

Exploded on the tillering stick.

No tick, even bend, gizmo happy, not been over-bent, no set (well, lost 3mm of natural reflex), no warning, huge bang, dog ran for cover, me totally devastated

Offline Kidder

« Reply #171 on: October 15, 2022, 01:58:12 pm »
Well sounds like I will have to reshuffle a little. I’m out on an elk hunt for the week. Everyone hold tight on shipping til I can figure it out.

Offline Kidder

« Reply #172 on: October 23, 2022, 10:31:50 pm »
Hi Guys. Without any backup bows and because we had a few last minute failures I’m having to move a couple things around. I will PM a few of you with a new recipient. I believe it should work. If you cannot make it work let me know (look at their stats). Again, let’s hold off shipping until we know for sure. Thanks.

Offline superdav95

« Reply #173 on: October 23, 2022, 11:10:22 pm »
Ok sounds good I’ll look it the stats of my recipient and let you know kidder

superdav95@gmail.com

Offline Kidder

« Reply #174 on: October 27, 2022, 01:09:01 am »
Alright I’ve moved a couple things around and I think we are all good. Pretty much everyone is on track. Most are done and a couple are close but due to some last minute changes I’ve had to ask of people they aren’t quite finished. I appreciate everyone’s patience and flexibility. That said, I’m comfortable saying EVERYONE THAT IS READY CAN SHIP. Once you do please post that you’ve shipped. Once you’ve received please post and show us all your bow. If you need shipping addresses let me know.

Offline superdav95

« Reply #175 on: October 27, 2022, 01:16:29 am »
Devastated

Exploded on the tillering stick.

No tick, even bend, gizmo happy, not been over-bent, no set (well, lost 3mm of natural reflex), no warning, huge bang, dog ran for cover, me totally devastated

That sucks man.  I’ve had bows do this to me as well.  Don’t let it get ya down brother.   Cheers. 

superdav95@gmail.com

Offline superdav95

« Reply #176 on: November 03, 2022, 04:26:25 pm »
Got my bow off in mail today.  Hope recipient enjoys it!   

superdav95@gmail.com

Offline Kidder

« Reply #177 on: November 04, 2022, 01:25:37 am »
Great work Dave. Everyone else can ship as well please!

Offline Mo_coon-catcher

« Reply #178 on: November 04, 2022, 09:03:30 am »
I’m hoping to ship out Monday. Work has had me traveling this week. But the bow is packaged up and ready to go.

Kyle

Offline Jakesnyder

« Reply #179 on: November 04, 2022, 08:53:30 pm »
I'll ship mine out Monday as well!