Author Topic: 2022 Bow Trade - complete  (Read 33010 times)

Offline Mo_coon-catcher

Re: 2022 Bow Trade - build in progress
« Reply #75 on: April 22, 2022, 02:01:12 pm »
Those guys are looking awesome guys!! I’m getting excited to see which one will make it into my hands.

Flntknp17, I use a lot of truoil and it generally dries for me in about 6 hours. I put in on pretty thin. I’ll put a bit in my finger, spread it as far as it’ll go and rub it in for a few seconds to make sure it’s good and thin and warms a little

I’ll be getting back to working on my bow soon. Between grappling tournaments, family stuff, and work I havnt had much time for building lately. I’ll be demonstrating self bow building at a renfair the next couple weekends so I can probably make good progress and a backup bow. Probably getting it done. But will focus on the trilam for the main bow.

Kyle

Offline Allyn T

• I'm addicted to information
« Reply #76 on: April 22, 2022, 08:12:36 pm »
Where is the fair at?
In the woods I find my peace

Offline Mafort

« Reply #77 on: April 23, 2022, 11:53:13 am »
Those guys are looking awesome guys!! I’m getting excited to see which one will make it into my hands.

Flntknp17, I use a lot of truoil and it generally dries for me in about 6 hours. I put in on pretty thin. I’ll put a bit in my finger, spread it as far as it’ll go and rub it in for a few seconds to make sure it’s good and thin and warms a little

I’ll be getting back to working on my bow soon. Between grappling tournaments, family stuff, and work I havnt had much time for building lately. I’ll be demonstrating self bow building at a renfair the next couple weekends so I can probably make good progress and a backup bow. Probably getting it done. But will focus on the trilam for the main bow.

Kyle

I’ll be doing the same at a fair in Indiana.

Offline Flntknp17

« Reply #78 on: April 23, 2022, 06:21:57 pm »
I worked on finalizing tiller and sanding/smoothing and scraping the bamboo on my BBO for the trade.  I have shot the bow about 200 times now and left it strung for 8 hours to "soak".  It sprung back to the original shape and hasn't lost any of its original 2.5" reflex so I think it probably won't take any set. 

Matt

Offline superdav95

« Reply #79 on: April 23, 2022, 09:54:06 pm »
Few more pic after several coats of tru oil.

Dave, how long does your tru-oil take to dry?  I have used it on a few bows, but it takes FOREVER (months) to dry and sometimes I wonder if it ever actually gets truly dry and loses its tackiness.  I have heard people in drier climates have better luck with it.  Thoughts?

The bow is beautiful BTW and I also love using leather dyes for the bow backs.

Matt

Thanks Matt.  Much appreciated compliment.  I do several very thin layers like has already been said too.  About 7-8.  I also use my finger to spread it on likes others do. Now I do something a little different after all my layers are on and it had had a week to dry.   I use toothpaste.  Yup. Toothpaste and do small circular rubbing over the entire surface of the back.  This gives it a depth to the finish.  I got this idea from whelyn except he uses a bonami powdered cleaner and mixes it with little water to a paste to rub with.  I couldn’t find any so I used toothpaste and it works like a charm.  The finish is noticeably better imho.  As for not drying. I’m in a humid climate and I don’t have issues with drying so long as my layers are thin and dry to the touch between layers then a week after all layers.  8 layers my seem like a lot but it’s worth it all said and done with final result.  Your true oil may be getting thick and drying out possibly too.  I had to throw half a bottle out because of this.  This may account for long drying times if the cap is left off for a length of time.  Another tip I picked up from whelyn …  I put a pin hole at the top of the foil seal under the cap and tip the bottle slightly onto my finger for a drop to minimize air drying the rest of the bottle while applying a layer to the bow.  Hope this helps ya. 
Sticks and stones and other poky stabby things.

superdav95@gmail.com

Offline superdav95

« Reply #80 on: April 23, 2022, 09:56:21 pm »
I worked on finalizing tiller and sanding/smoothing and scraping the bamboo on my BBO for the trade.  I have shot the bow about 200 times now and left it strung for 8 hours to "soak".  It sprung back to the original shape and hasn't lost any of its original 2.5" reflex so I think it probably won't take any set. 

Matt

Love the look of this bow!  Love the contrasting layers in the handle.  Nicely done.

superdav95@gmail.com

Offline superdav95

« Reply #81 on: April 23, 2022, 10:09:22 pm »
Quick build update on my bow.  Did a little more detail work on the handle and arrows pass.  I decided to do something I’ve never done on a bow and make an ambidextrous shooter.  Twice the work but hope it will be appreciated by recipient.  I was on the fence about it and was gonna just do a standard rh bow with a hair pass glue up but wasn’t turned on by it I took it up a notch and decided to use the same blood wood scrap pieces from the tip overlays and had just enough to inset a pass on both right and left side.   I then used a small glue on arrow rest on each side made from scrap pieces of Buffalo horn to tie in with the horn laminate overlays on the tips.  I’m pretty satisfied with result.  I then dressed it up with a black leather handle wrap to finish it off.  The original string I made for this bow is not going to work Color wise so I’ll make a new red and black b55 string and call it done.  Here’s a few pics

Cheers

superdav95@gmail.com

Offline Flntknp17

« Reply #82 on: April 24, 2022, 12:23:16 am »
That bow is just fantastic looking and I do appreciate the info on the tru-oil.  I'm sure whoever gets the bow will cherish it!..

Matt

Offline wooddamon1

« Reply #83 on: April 24, 2022, 10:32:27 pm »
Some nice bows being built guys.

Offline Mo_coon-catcher

« Reply #84 on: April 24, 2022, 10:38:08 pm »
Allen T - Its near Kimgdom City, MO.

Offline Allyn T

• I'm addicted to information
« Reply #85 on: April 25, 2022, 08:38:58 am »
That's about an hour from here, maybe I can talk the wife into driving down
In the woods I find my peace

Offline superdav95

« Reply #86 on: April 30, 2022, 03:03:08 pm »
Finished up this bow today with new string red and black.  Looks lot better then the original.  Shoots very smooth with 350 or 400 spine arrows.  Shot it a bunch today and it retained its 4.5” reflex after resting for about 20mins.  4” immediately after shooting.  Pretty happy with that.  Just a pound over target draw weight at the requested draw length.  I put some tape on the arrow pass while shooting today to prevent marking it up.  I’ll leave that up to the new owner.  I built this bow with a positive tiller of about just under 1/4” on the top limb.  Can sort of tell in the pics but tiller went well and as planned for the most part.  This was a nice hunk of wood to start with.  I’ll ship this bow out soon I think. Hopefully it meets the recipients expectations.     

Here’s a quick video of me shooting this bow

https://photos.app.goo.gl/oSZpHkkBHduwVTL57

Cheers

superdav95@gmail.com

Offline Kidder

« Reply #87 on: April 30, 2022, 10:16:22 pm »
Nailed it Superdav95! And a reminder to all - hold off on shipping until given the green light.

Offline Flntknp17

« Reply #88 on: May 01, 2022, 01:21:43 am »
This bow by Superdave might be the most beautiful trade bow I have seen.  What a superb achievement!

Offline superdav95

« Reply #89 on: May 01, 2022, 09:07:39 am »
Wow.  Thanks kidder.  Very nice compliment. 

superdav95@gmail.com