Author Topic: 2022 Bow Trade - complete  (Read 33011 times)

Offline Kidder

2022 Bow Trade - complete
« on: February 23, 2022, 10:41:19 pm »
Welcome to the 2022 Primitive Archer Bow Trade! The purpose of the trade is to share our skills with our community here and make the BEST bow you have ever made for your recipient, and to have a lot of fun along the way! It really should hurt a little to send out your bow. This trade is about the bow you build, not the bow you receive. If you do not share this philosophy, then please do not sign up.  If you do share this then, let's get building!  The rules for the trade are listed below.

Please read this entire post before signing up so you know what you are getting into.  Here is how to sign up:

1.  Send me a PM with the following information:
     Full Name
     Full Address
     Email Address
     Telephone number
     Which Country(ies) you will ship to
ALSO PLEASE INCLUDE A LINK TO A SUCCESSFUL COMPLETED BOW YOU HAVE POSTED HERE - IT WILL MAKE MY LIFE EASIER!

2.  Reply to this post with, I'm in and include bow specs preferred
     Example:  LH or RH
     Draw Weight 45-55 pounds
     Draw length 27 to 29 inches

Here are the rules:
A.  In order to sign up, you must have posted at least one successful bow on this site.  Please don't be offended if I ask for verification.
B.  All participants in this trade need to participate in the thread and post pictures of their progress,  Start out by posting a picture of the stave, staves, board, billets, etc. that you plan to use for the build.  then continue to post progress of your build. If a participant does not post the progress of their build then it is up to my discretion to remove them from the trade (I only do this after several failed attempts to communicate with you several different ways!)
C.  No bows should be shipped to someone that is not making progress on their bow.  If you are done with your bow and ready to ship, please be in touch with me to help decide if you should ship or not.
D.  Any participant that chooses can also build a second bow to be used as a reserve.  The reserve bows will be used to ensure that ALL participating members get a bow.  Please let me know if you plan to build a reserve bow so if it is needed I know who to contact.
E.  Deadline for signing up will be the end of the day, March 11th. 
F.  Shipping deadline will be Wednesday, October 15th 2022.
G.  Have fun.
H.  Communicate with me.  I understand things happen that can keep you from building a bow.  If this happens, the sooner you can let me know, the better.  I can then reshuffle the trade and everything can work out.
I. As an incentive for your hard work, if you finish your bow on time and meet the shipping deadline your name will go in the hat for a drawing. I haven't decided what it will be yet, but it'll be exciting - maybe a book, or a hand tool, or arrow shafts, or a jar of honey from my bees...we'll just have to wait and see! Last year Selfbowman graciously agreed to build a bow for the incentive raffle and it
turned out beautifully! If anyone would like to build an incentive bow please let me know!

I’m going to participate and here are my stats
RH
26” draw
45-65 lbs

Let's make this a great trade!

Thank you.

Brendan
« Last Edit: April 09, 2023, 12:47:22 pm by Kidder »

Offline Kidder

Re: 2022 Bow Trade - sign up open
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2022, 10:04:24 pm »
Here is the rolling list of who has indicated they are in and I have received the info needed to proceed. If you don’t see your name I have either not gotten to adding it or I am missing something so check your inbox

Kidder
Ssrythm
Superdav95
Mo_coon-catcher
Mafort
Flntknp17
Jakesnyder
Swampman
Stuckinthemud
« Last Edit: March 12, 2022, 12:46:32 pm by Kidder »

Offline ssrhythm

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2022, 12:11:09 pm »
I’m in.  The bow I’ll make will be an Osage similar to the two I’ve posted on here, but I’ll try to make it a self bow or rawhide backed in case it’s going to a more humid environment.

Stats for the bow someone will make for me:

Right Handed
55-63 lbs @ 28”

Kidder, you may want to sticky this thread!

Offline Deerhunter21

• What do you despise? By this are you truly known.
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2022, 03:38:26 pm »
im on the fence right now! i got some nice staves and i finally feel confident enough to make a decent bow! I think ill wait a little bit to sign up but im excited to see the bows people make!
« Last Edit: February 28, 2022, 03:56:54 pm by Deerhunter21 »
Life before death. Strength before weakness. Journey before destination.

Offline superdav95

« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2022, 01:11:50 am »
I’m in as well.  I’ll send you a pm too with details.  Should be fun!

Rh
50-60lbs
29” draw

I’ll likely do a stiff tipped recurve or static out of hhb or hickory that have been seasoned in the shop.  If time permits I may sinew back it and or raw hide back. 

Cheers

Dave
« Last Edit: March 10, 2022, 10:06:09 pm by superdav95 »
Sticks and stones and other poky stabby things.

superdav95@gmail.com

Offline Kidder

« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2022, 11:50:40 pm »
Well, since no one has volunteered to build an “on time” bow I have opted to donate to the cause. The prize this year will be a dozen surewood premium Douglas fir shafts. Unfinished and cut to 32” spined at 50/55#. In my opinion these are the best all wood shafts on the market. To be in the drawing all you have to do is sign up and complete your bow, being ready to ship by the deadline.

Offline Mo_coon-catcher

« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2022, 01:09:14 pm »
I’ve been on the fence on whether I’ll have the time but this trade needs more people. So sign me up.

Right hand
50-70# draw weight
26-28” draw length

I’m not sure what I’ll make yet.

Kyle

Offline Mafort

« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2022, 03:06:01 pm »
Right hand
50-100lbs. (Surprise me)
26”-28” draw length

Thinking I’ll use vine wood pyramid bow or yew wood flat bow. Maybe do something sinew backed

Offline Flntknp17

Re: 2022 Bow Trade - sign up closes March 11
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2022, 03:26:22 pm »
I'll join the trade again this year....

RH
Draw Weight:  Not picky.....anything 35-65
Draw length: 27 to 28 inches

Offline Jakesnyder

« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2022, 06:10:12 pm »
I'm in!!!
 LH 50-60lbs 24"-26" draw

I've strategically placed staves in different buildings so I don't have a repeat of last year.

Offline Swampman

• Primitive Archer subscription number PM109299
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2022, 03:45:56 pm »
I am in.

RH 40-70 pounds with 26-28 inch draw.

This should be fun!

Mike

Offline stuckinthemud

• avenue woodcarving
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2022, 05:39:26 am »
Last second, but if there's any way then count me in,

L/H (or ambidextrous)
35-40 pounds at 24 or 25 inch

Andrew

Offline Kidder

Re: 2022 Bow Trade - sign up closed
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2022, 03:42:37 pm »
Alright all building assignments have been made and sent either via PM or text message. If you didn’t receive an assignment please let me know.  Let’s make this a great build! Remember to post progress pictures - the more the merrier. A lot of the fun of this trade is the group build along nature. It also really helps me ensure everyone is moving forward. So let’s get building!
« Last Edit: March 13, 2022, 01:10:28 pm by Kidder »

Offline Kidder

Re: 2022 Bow Trade - sign up closed
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2022, 05:29:43 pm »
So I will be doing 2 bows this year - an A and a B. The first will be bamboo backed yellow heart flatbow. This bow will be 1 1/4 - 1 3/8 wide asymmetrical. The second will be a yew American flat bow that will just have to tell me what it wants to be. It’s got 45 degrees of propeller twist so that will be a challenge. I have no experience with yellow heart and minimal experience with yew, so it’ll be a challenge. I’ll send the best to my recipient. And if those fail my fall back will be boo backed Osage, but that is kind of boring.

Offline Buckskinner

Re: 2022 Bow Trade - build in progress
« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2022, 06:50:19 pm »
Looking forwards to watching this transpire! After a few more under my belt I might join in.  Great idea whoever thought of it...