Author Topic: Tn bear pistol project  (Read 4297 times)

Offline Eric Krewson

Tn bear pistol project
« on: April 30, 2022, 06:32:15 pm »
I am getting the parts together for a TN bear pistol build, this is going to be a long drawn out build with me doing everything. I plan to forge my mounts, I have a forge but never used it and don't know how but I have a friend close by that is very good at it and can help me along.

A bear pistol has a 15" barrel, I have the stock blank, a highly figured piece of curly maple.

I got the lock in today, a Kibler lock similar to a late Ketland, I have to say this lock is made like a fine swiss watch. The gold standard of locks is a Roller lock, I happen to have one, this lock is right up there with a Roller.

Waiting on the barrel from Charles Burton at FCI barrels, it will be a swamped .50, 15" long.

Offline Hawkdancer

Re: Tn bear pistol project
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2022, 07:21:14 pm »
Have fun!  That is  fine looking lock and stock!
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline Mike Yancey

« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2022, 04:36:11 pm »
I have been wanting to build a bear pistol for years!!!

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2022, 08:40:07 am »
Charlie Burton at FCI Barrels sells a swamped 15" pistol barrels for $135 which sounded real reasonable to me, he was at the Alabama Kentucky rifle show so I just had to order one. He said it would be up to six months on delivery because he had to get enough orders to make a run of the barrels, I suspect it may be longer.

Offline Mike Yancey

« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2022, 02:18:02 pm »
Eric,
What caliber are you going to build?

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2022, 07:55:26 pm »
.50 just because it will have less recoil than a .54, about a 50 grain lighter ball.

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2022, 08:40:25 am »
It has been 6 months since I ordered the barrel, still waiting........

When I ordered the barrel Mr. Burton could barely walk because of severe back problems, that may be something else he is dealing with now.