Author Topic: The 66 inch Osage bow modifications  (Read 1185 times)

Offline bassman211

The 66 inch Osage bow modifications
« on: June 12, 2022, 09:06:46 pm »
I went to work on his first Osage bow build. I shaved many of the high spots, and their are many low spots.  The bow had 4 inches of string follow on the bottom limb, and 2 on the top limb. I put it on a 4 inch reflex form, and gave it a deep heat treat. Tillered it to my 26 inches of draw, and put a skinny FF string on it ,and shot it. It held it's reflex, but with all the low spots on the limbs the bow would surely break at 33 inches of draw, so I sinew backed it. It is drying at present. Got into way more work than I thought their would be. Hope I can tiller it to 33 inches, and get him a good shooting successful bow. (R (-S (--)

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
Re: The 66 inch Osage bow modifications
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2022, 07:41:13 am »
That is quite long draw length for any target or hunting shooter.
Sinew of at least 1/8" thick dried might hold that bow up,but then your poundage will increase dramatically also.
If you started out wide enough you've got a chance.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline bassman211

« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2022, 04:56:12 pm »
I hope poundage does go up Ed. I will be able to remove some bad high spots, and reduce weight which in turn should even up limb thickness. biggest challenge of my bow making career. Thanks Ed.

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2022, 01:38:33 pm »
the bows I made with 30 plus draw,, shot well,, but had to pull past my ear to do it,, Im always surprised I can shoot them at all,, they a different beast,,