Author Topic: Stress and performance  (Read 9261 times)

Offline Selfbowman

Re: Stress and performance
« Reply #60 on: May 22, 2024, 11:51:59 am »
Sleek that’s s what I was saying about making the pyramid wider at the fades. The record broadhead bow took no or very little set. I guess I need to make a straight Pyrimid wider at the fades with no reflex and see where this goes. I do know reflex in the outer limbs causes more strain on the limbs. It has to.
Well I'll say!!  Osage is king!!

Offline mmattockx

« Reply #61 on: May 22, 2024, 12:33:51 pm »
I agree. So, my point being that a perfect pyramid can not be built, so modifications must be made. In my opinion, these are the best ones to make.

Fair enough. My opinion is that following the theoretical pyramid taper and using levers at the end is the best way to go. I can get circular tiller for all of the working limb with constant thickness and stiff tips (which are desirable, IMO), which is a lot easier to tiller than the ASL profile. Either way will certainly give you a decent bow in the end.

Sleek that’s s what I was saying about making the pyramid wider at the fades.

You are correct on this, Arvin. Extra width on the pyramid shape costs almost nothing in extra limb weight but will help keep set at bay.

Mark
« Last Edit: May 22, 2024, 12:42:26 pm by mmattockx »

Offline Aussie Yeoman

« Reply #62 on: May 22, 2024, 06:13:25 pm »
Asking for a friend... What's 'ASL'? :P
Articles for the beginning bowyer, with Australian bowyers in mind:

http://www.tharwavalleyforge.com/articles/tutorials

Offline sleek

« Reply #63 on: May 22, 2024, 10:21:53 pm »

40/male/North Carolina

sorry, I don't know either.
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline mmattockx

« Reply #64 on: May 23, 2024, 01:23:35 am »

American Style Long bow. The back profile described by sleek is very close to this design.

Mark

Offline Aussie Yeoman

« Reply #65 on: May 23, 2024, 04:06:24 am »
Is it the same thing as an American flatbow?

Offline Hamish

« Reply #66 on: May 23, 2024, 07:40:09 am »
I believe ASL stands for American Semi Longbow(which is essentially what Mark said, an American style longbow).  Most people today recognize it or refer to them as a Hill Style Longbow(fg backed and faced). It developed from Howard's pre fibre glass design, usually backed with boo, slight stringfollow. John Schulz, RIP used to specialize in these bows, deep handle, longer fades than the usual 2" fades that most people use these days, and narrow limbs rather than wide.
Miller Longbows (taught by Schulz) still make this style of bow, really nice-looking classic style of bow.

Offline mmattockx

« Reply #67 on: May 23, 2024, 01:22:41 pm »
Is it the same thing as an American flatbow?

It may be more the flatbow I was thinking of. Attached is a pdf of the design I had in mind, call it what you will.

Mark

Offline willie

« Reply #68 on: May 23, 2024, 05:11:23 pm »

Attached is a pdf of the design I had in mind, call it what you will.

Interesting find Mark. I guess the original (HHill) wood bows were quite rounded in the belly.
http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php?topic=45081.0

I can see why a bit of stringfollow was Howards preference as some of his big game hunting  was with bows reported to be 115#

Offline Selfbowman

« Reply #69 on: May 23, 2024, 09:18:24 pm »
Ok I know someone has done it but let’s say we build a bow with a pyramid on one end and a narrow and thick limb on the other end . Side profile being the same. Would this be no different from building a   pretty wild character bow. Just asking before I try it.🤠

Offline Aussie Yeoman

« Reply #70 on: May 24, 2024, 05:04:22 am »
You mean both limbs tillered to the same shape? The narrow deep limb would either not be deep, or it would take horrendous set, I think.

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #71 on: May 24, 2024, 06:00:02 am »
Ok I know someone has done it but let’s say we build a bow with a pyramid on one end and a narrow and thick limb on the other end . Side profile being the same. Would this be no different from building a   pretty wild character bow. Just asking before I try it.🤠
No problem tillering different styles on each limb.
https://bowyersdiary.blogspot.com/2017/03/the-frankenbow.html
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline mmattockx

« Reply #72 on: May 24, 2024, 12:24:50 pm »

That would be interesting. Assuming the wood can stand the strain on the narrow/thick limb then the pyramid side would be well overbuilt because the wider/thinner limb will have lower strain. You could match them better if the pyramid side was also made narrow/thick but tillering both sides to the same bend would be wrong, since the pyramid side wants a circular tiller and the other wants a more elliptical tiller.

I would expect it to have a fair amount of hand shock because of the mismatched limbs not moving in synch with each other. I think you should try it, Arvin.  ;D

Mark

Offline Selfbowman

« Reply #73 on: May 24, 2024, 01:28:47 pm »
With all that encouragement ya u gave me I don’t see much hope.🤠🤠🤠

Offline willie

« Reply #74 on: May 24, 2024, 04:45:38 pm »
With all that encouragement ya u gave me I don’t see much hope.🤠🤠🤠

Dont despair! Arvin :)

Perhaps if you describe in broader terms what you wish to accomplish, folks could offer suggestions.

for instance, I recall some of the bow design changes you have tried from your "tried and true design" have resulted in bows taking more set and not performing as well. Perhaps a more pratical approach would be a better way to monitor set as the bow gets tillered, rather than examining the theory of why it happened

when you are pushing the performance of wood to the max, and measuring success by yards at Bonneville. skills trump theory, and the winners are fine tuning the best to begin with