Author Topic: More hidework  (Read 13241 times)

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
Re: More hidework
« Reply #90 on: September 20, 2022, 07:25:53 pm »
I think the proper way to tan beaver tails is to take the scales off first.That's done using hydrated lime just like bucking a deer hide to remove it's hair.The leather of the fleshed beaver tail will swell just like a deer hide.
Then you can scrape them off.They are the part on a beaver tail that will make them stiff.
You'll see the pattern of the scales in the leather also after removing the scales.
After that neutralize the tail soaking a half hour or so in vinegar water.A cup to a couple gallons of water.Then a few clear water risings.You'll notice the change in the leather.
People usually bark tan them then after that,but other tans then might work also.
It's a fair amount of work.Mostly tedious.
Note......Before tanning I would let it dry tacked or stapled out after neutralizing it.Then I would sand at the base of the tail where it's a lot thicker than the rest of the leather and even up that thickness some.That would help in making certain items.Then rehydrate it.
A strong tanning solution in a 5 gallon bucket will tan it in a few days....or if your using the orange bottle stuff repeated applications will probably work.
Scuff it around with your hands to soften.Neats foot oil can help too.
For stuff like knife sheaths,rawhide envelopes or grips on bow handles leaving the scales on should work fine.For a knife sheath though I would glue the dried beaver tail to some thicker rawhide like beef rawhide or thick veg tanned leather using contact cement.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2022, 05:07:55 pm by BowEd »
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline BrianS

« Reply #91 on: September 21, 2022, 04:42:02 pm »
BowEd,
Thanks for the info.
take care,
brian

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #92 on: September 22, 2022, 09:06:04 am »
My friend is a lot like me with his views to wildlife.I know he's trapped many beaver in his lifetime.He just wants a remembrance of the animal he devoted so much time to pursuing.
BowEd
Ed

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #93 on: September 22, 2022, 12:13:09 pm »
My thoughts about a wallet for my friend out of beaver tail are this.
I'd be better off to buy a thin vegetable tanned wallet kit and contact cement glue the dried beaver tail [which will be very thin dried] to it while edge lacing the whole project [beaver tail to veg tanned leather] together.Then wax and oil it for a finish on it.
As opposed to trying to vegetable tan a beaver tail and make a wallet out of it.
BowEd
Ed

Offline Piddler

« Reply #94 on: September 22, 2022, 09:39:19 pm »
ED,
I'll send you a PM tomorrow. May have a tail I don't have a real good use for if you are in need of one. I saved a couple to make bow wraps.
Piddler
"My goal in life is to try and be the kind of person my dog thinks I am"

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #95 on: September 23, 2022, 03:28:52 am »
To cover a wallet the tail needs to be at least 11" long by at least 5" to 6"" wide at it's widest to cover everything.That'll take a blanket beaver weighing a good 50#'s measuring at least 32" by 32".I spoke with Joe and it sounds like it's a deal for us to do in a trade after deer season.He says there's lots of beaver by him again nowadays after not trapping them for a few years.I'll skin the beaver and tail myself and keep everything else [hide and other side of tail] and he gets his beaver tail covered wallet.
I'll brain tan the hide later.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2022, 03:49:45 am by BowEd »
BowEd
Ed

Offline Piddler

« Reply #96 on: September 23, 2022, 03:05:18 pm »
OK. I thought you were in need of a beaver tail.
Piddler

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #97 on: September 23, 2022, 05:39:35 pm »
Thanks for the offer.I appreciate it.Show us the pictures of them.
I don't think either one of us are in a any hurry about the trade happening,but both want something out of the deal.Him a beaver wallet and me a brain tanned beaver hide.I think long ago Joe may even have a mounted beaver in his house or a rug at least.
Think we might go gun hunting to a gun shop by me here later.The shop by him got closed by the government.
I have an extra veg tanned beaver tail here too that is large enough for a wallet but wanted to save that for some bow handle grips.
I've sanded it to an even overall 1 to 2 ounce leather thickness.Should get 2 grips from this tail.

The lighter color shows where they need to be sanded.

« Last Edit: September 23, 2022, 05:42:44 pm by BowEd »
BowEd
Ed

Offline Piddler

« Reply #98 on: September 23, 2022, 07:43:06 pm »
ED, Here is a photo of what I have. Didn't really know how to do them so only one has some tan done to it. The others only dried.
Piddler

Offline Piddler

« Reply #99 on: September 23, 2022, 07:45:00 pm »
And they are distorted and look really wide. Some day I'll figure out how to get a good photo posted.
Piddler

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #100 on: September 24, 2022, 06:22:40 am »
Pictures are good.Nice looking set of tails.You've done a great job skinning and fleshing them first off and that's a must.It would'nt have hurt to tack them out while they dry to avoid curling.
You've got yourself some nice bow handle wraps there or for whatever else you might have in mind.For bow handle wraps not much sanding is needed if left in the raw stage which I'm sure you know.
Vegetable tanned tails tend to naturally thicken from the process so a little sanding is required to make use of all of the tail.If boughten they are quite expensive like this one.
I still say removing the scales and then tanning will get a pliable piece of beaver tail leather.
I'm no complete expert about everything but know enough to make what I want to look good when done.Your own standards rule the day here.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2022, 12:16:59 pm by BowEd »
BowEd
Ed

Offline Piddler

« Reply #101 on: September 24, 2022, 07:26:01 pm »
Thanks ED, I'll make a handle wrap or something with them one day. Your info is always appreciated.
Piddler

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #102 on: September 26, 2022, 07:06:56 am »
There's a lot of things out there to learn yet no matter who you are.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2022, 10:13:12 am by BowEd »
BowEd
Ed

Offline Piddler

« Reply #103 on: September 29, 2022, 07:01:45 pm »
Well lots of learning went into this one. Learned that the hides need thinned a lot down the back. Especially around the front shoulders and hip area. The belly turned out great right off the bat and is really soft. Had to reapply tanning solution on the center though. Still fairly soft but more rug like. Still need to trim the edges. Could work it some more but gonna stop on this one for a while and go hunting. Think bow shooting is hard on a shoulder. Definitely gonna thin the others before tanning. I picked the one with the worst fur to experiment with. Had some really strange spots of fur.
Piddler

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #104 on: September 29, 2022, 07:27:52 pm »
Looks pretty decent to me.I could make a hat from it....ha ha.Although I would need to hand stitch it.
When beaver are put up [that means skinned and fleshed properly] and dried to sell up north they are wiped with a paper towel  number of times while drying to absorb the grease that sweats up along the way to drying.That helps a lot.I tumbled coons and coyotes here doing that.
Still a fair amount of grease is still dried into the hide on a beaver.Tannerys have chemicals that can soften those hides and other chemicals that will get rid of that grease.Then they can tan it.Thin it and soften it.All with automated equipment.
For the fella that wants to tan a greasy critter like a beaver for themselves salting a few times is the best degreaser and drier.That dried in grease into a hide makes it hard to rehydrate inhibiting the ability of tanning solutions or brain oils to penetrate.Then after stretching and drying thinning can be done.Then tanning [brain or chemical] can be done.Then softening.
It can take some practice.
Hunting season opens here soon too.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2022, 10:15:44 pm by BowEd »
BowEd
Ed