Author Topic: BBY wannabe Flightbow  (Read 3893 times)

Offline simk

BBY wannabe Flightbow
« on: July 15, 2022, 05:11:15 pm »
Hi Bowmakers

After I found out I have some indestructable stuff

http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,71391.0.html

I thought about making a little high performance bow. I flattened the other half of the misterous yew log and backed with boo.

Designwise Mr Drake came in my mind. From what I've read about this Harry Drake I always have benn fascinated by this legendary archer.

I lent the basic design from him and tried to make a fast bow. I'm quite happy with almost 3" of reflex after shooting it a lot - only took about 2" set since glueup. I even brought it to the range and of course everybody shot it  (A)
She's approx 59"ntn, 45#@26" and 400gramms.

Does anybody have more info about the early Drake bows? Some specs maybe of his yew selfbows? pics, maybe even a fulldraw pic? Doesen't seem to be many pics of the early days?

Cheers
« Last Edit: July 15, 2022, 05:29:27 pm by simk »
--- the queen rules ----

Offline simk

Re: BBY wannabe Flightbow
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2022, 05:15:59 pm »
more
« Last Edit: July 15, 2022, 05:20:05 pm by simk »
--- the queen rules ----

Offline simk

« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2022, 05:21:14 pm »
thanx 4 watching
--- the queen rules ----

Offline sleek

« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2022, 06:15:33 pm »
That is a beautiful bow. After resting, how much reflex comes back after you unstring it?
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline simk

« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2022, 07:13:14 pm »
I havent exactly monitored sleek! But I checked again eyeballing I'd say 1 to 11/2"....maybe 2"...this is the current situation after photo and shooting today....probably will relax a little more.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2022, 07:30:34 pm by simk »
--- the queen rules ----

Offline sleek

« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2022, 08:11:32 pm »
Id say I'd you can make the design so it takes maybe a half inch or less you would have a bow that could do well in flight. If you make another, make it wider with a not as wide bamboo backing. That should help on set.

I really do like that bow though. Very nice craftsmanship.

Offline superdav95

« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2022, 11:53:05 pm »
Nice bow.  Will be curious on the speed it gets!   
Sticks and stones and other poky stabby things.

superdav95@gmail.com

Offline simk

« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2022, 04:44:10 am »
Sleek, the cross section is trapped significantly. I made it narrow because the originals were. Apart of making it a little wider I wouldnt know how to take it less set. Heat treating the belly sure is an option too but glued in reflex always dissappears after bending to 70%, its inevitable imho. I'd love to know your secrets and especially Harrys 🙃 still I'm quite ok with the outcome. What max speeds do you get from your bows, just curious? 🙃

Thanx Superdav, the 10gpp was somewhere in the mid 180's, the light one, approx 6 gpp 215 was my best shot 👍
« Last Edit: July 16, 2022, 07:44:59 am by simk »
--- the queen rules ----

Offline Stixnstones

« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2022, 07:20:08 am »
Gorgeous lil bow...
DevilsBeachSelfbows

Offline sleek

« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2022, 09:04:23 am »
Sleek, the cross section is trapped significantly. I made it narrow because the originals were. Apart of making it a little wider I wouldnt know how to take it less set. Heat treating the belly sure is an option too but glued in reflex always dissappears after bending to 70%, its inevitable imho. I'd love to know your secrets and especially Harrys 🙃 still I'm quite ok with the outcome. What max speeds do you get from your bows, just curious? 🙃

Thanx Superdav, the 10gpp was somewhere in the mid 180's, the light one, approx 6 gpp 215 was my best shot 👍

When it comes to laminated bows I don't have many secrets unfortunately. I haven't made many but I do plan to start getting more into it. 180s is really good speed. I think my self bow that broke the flight record was in that range. My fastest self bow so far hit 187fps but I couldn't repeat it so it may have been a fluke.

Your bow is faster than than I would have guessed it to be. It would be nice to see what that bow can do in flight. Do you have a location  you can shoot it?

What state do you live in out if curiosity?

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2022, 10:05:44 am »
Nice job, handsome bow... just gotta make the right arrow now ::)
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline simk

« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2022, 10:35:18 am »
Sleek, altough I'd love to try, real flightshooting is a very complex thing and hard to find a place in tiny Switzerland, where I live. Shooting the chrono is easy and imho conclusive when it comes to the bow itself, excluding the archers and arrowmakers talent. Shooting the 10gpp somehow seems a little boring too. Most of my bows are very close in the 180's. Also 10gpp imho does not justice to many bow designs...its just a random standard. When it comes to lighter arrows we will see big differences tough. I find this very interesting and often try to find out the real max speed of a bow....altough I havent light enough arrows yet. I like bomaking, making arrows seems boring 🙃
« Last Edit: July 16, 2022, 10:43:50 am by simk »
--- the queen rules ----

Offline Selfbowman

« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2022, 01:02:42 pm »
That’s a beauty for sure and real good speeds. It’s a contender with the right arrow and release I assure you. Low in mass weight. It does need 5 more pounds of draw weight though. Arvin
Well I'll say!!  Osage is king!!

Offline Will B

« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2022, 01:52:49 pm »
Beautiful bow Simon. The grain in that yew is spectacular! 

bownarra

« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2022, 03:05:58 pm »
Sweet bow :)
Thicker is quicker - rarely hear people mentioning the increased return speed of a thicker (equal drawlength/weight) limb. Think of a tuning fork.