Author Topic: Hickory short bow(s) build along  (Read 3712 times)

Offline Aaron1726

Re: Hickory short bow(s) build along
« Reply #15 on: June 08, 2023, 09:09:59 pm »
Got some time today to work on the sinew backed bow.  I had sanded it down and cleaned up the edges a couple days ago, but today I was able to get it to a low brace, about 1 to 2 in.  Worked the limbs some out to about 15in.  Everything was looking ok, until... 

I noticed this spot, near the tip, where some of the sinew was lifted away from the back along the outside of the limb.  Maybe I didn't clean the back good in that spot?  Everywhere else seems to be stuck on there pretty good.  I decided to try to glue it back down, so I worked some hide glue into the gap and the wrapped the length of it tight with a rubber band to hold things down.  Fingers crossed it sticks.  Not sure if there is a better solution.  Guess we will see.

Offline superdav95

« Reply #16 on: June 08, 2023, 10:32:53 pm »
Yes fingers crossed.  Only thing I may have suggested and you may have done already is apply a little heat to that area as you soak it with glue down in between the wood and the sinew.  This might help
It adhere a little better.  Keep us posted. 
Sticks and stones and other poky stabby things.

superdav95@gmail.com

Offline Aaron1726

« Reply #17 on: June 09, 2023, 06:52:54 am »
Thanks Dave, I didn't even think about adding heat.  Not sure I can now with the rubber band on there, but if it doesn't stick this go around I will try that.  Thanks for all your help so far with this.

Offline Aaron1726

« Reply #18 on: June 26, 2023, 09:19:49 pm »
Thought I'd post some updates on this.  Currently both bows are tillered.  The sisal one is nearly done, just a few last details.  And the sinew backed one is ready to seal up I think.  I finally got time today with no rain to shoot them some and get some pics.

So I will start with the sinew backed bow.  The spot where the sinew lifted a bit seems ok.  I let it dry a couple weeks before moving ahead.  Got it braced at about 5 in and took some half draw shots and then some 18in draw shots today.  The repaired spot is holding together so I hope that fixed it.  I put a simple wrap handle on just so I could shoot it and not get sweaty hands on the sinew.  Here's a couple of this one so far.

Offline Aaron1726

« Reply #19 on: June 26, 2023, 09:30:01 pm »
And then the sisal backed one...

This one is nearly done.  The sisal did not add weight as I'd hoped, maybe an extra pound to the draw, but that's it.  It's also has not held the glued in reflex, that disappeared very quickly once I started bending it.  It has however kept its current shape for between 200 and 300 shots, so I think it's where it wants to be.  About an inch of follow, but that was about 2/12 or so inches of total set.  It's at 41lbs at 18in of draw and shoots really smooth.  I hit a copperhead while weedeating a few weeks ago, so stuck what was left of him on the back and painted the rest.  Anyway, here are some for the sisal backed bow of this duo.

Offline Aaron1726

« Reply #20 on: June 26, 2023, 09:32:31 pm »
Few more of the sisal bow, resting and full draw.  And the the sinew bow and sisal bow in a family portrait. 

Offline superdav95

« Reply #21 on: June 27, 2023, 12:22:43 am »
Awesome lookin little bows.  So glad the repair held up for you.  Love the look of the bend in these bows.  Looks damn good to me.  Well done sir.  What’s the plan with the sinew bow.  Any plans to cover it with anything???

superdav95@gmail.com

Offline Aaron1726

« Reply #22 on: June 27, 2023, 10:10:44 am »
Thanks Dave, and again, I appreciate all your advice along the way.

Not completely decided on what to do on the back of the sinew bow, probably paint it unless I happen across another snake skin.  I've twisted up some cord for the handle, I mixed dogbane and yucca, alternating every foot or so as I went so it's got a cool green/brown pattern going on.  So the rest of the bow will likely have that same color scheme.  I'll post pics when its all finished up.

Offline Aaron1726

« Reply #23 on: July 16, 2023, 03:18:56 pm »
Some finishing updates on these 2.  Gave the sisal bow away this weekend along with a quiver and a few arrows.  It went to my brother who isn't used to a short draw so I marked all the arrows with some thread wrapping and superglue.  Hopefully he will put it to good use.

I also finished up the sinew backed bow.  I still need to measure the final draw weight, but along the way it was always measuring about the same as the other one so it should be about 40lbs or so at 18in.  I ended up painting the back and the handle I wrapped with some cord I made switching back and forth from dogbane to yucca as I twisted it.  So the cord changes color every so often, didn't measure, just went to twisting.  Anyway, I'm pretty happy with how these turned out.  Here's a few pics

Offline Aaron1726

« Reply #24 on: July 16, 2023, 03:19:43 pm »
And a few more of the sinew backed bow

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #25 on: July 16, 2023, 07:08:14 pm »
Beautiful bow, very nice work, love the set you gave away also, bet he loved that. :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline superdav95

« Reply #26 on: July 17, 2023, 12:08:08 am »
Yup very nicely done.  Love the design on that sinew backed one.  What a great gift to your brother.  That’s a good idea with the marker string on the arrow for short draw.  I’m gonna do that for my short draw bow!   Thanks for posted and again super nice work. 

superdav95@gmail.com

Offline M2A

« Reply #27 on: July 17, 2023, 07:10:11 am »
Lots of work in all that equipment. Turned out great. People can say what they want but I do like lots of detail work. You sure got that going on with your work. Not a fan of a floating anchor point  but I like it!
Mike   

Online bentstick54

« Reply #28 on: July 17, 2023, 10:15:50 am »
Very nicely done. Love the looks of both of them. I have no experience with short bend through the handle bows but those bends look great to me.

Offline Aaron1726

« Reply #29 on: July 17, 2023, 11:30:45 am »
Thanks guys.  These were fun to build and shoot.  And yeah my brother was pretty excited with his.  The sinew bow is staying with me though :)