Author Topic: Inaugural “junior” bow trade  (Read 12438 times)

Offline stuckinthemud

• avenue woodcarving
Inaugural “junior” bow trade
« on: December 25, 2023, 07:47:50 pm »
All right, let’s see how we do, shall we?  A trade for anyone who thinks they don’t have enough experience to enter the main bow trade, currently run by Kidder. 

We want anyone to have a go. The purpose of the trade is to have fun, learn lots and get involved.

Of the bows I own, one of my favourites is a hickory Trade bow built by a junior. Under 18s are welcome but, If you are under 18 I will need to chat with your parents/guardians via email.  If you have less than a year membership on PA we will need to chat via PM or email. I am aware of a few people on PA I’d love to have in the trade who have less than a year so please don’t be shy!

Osage and yew are nice and all but hazel, maple, hickory and all sorts make great bows, even scotch broom.  I’m told a pair of hickory axe handles will make a decent billet bow, so timber shouldn’t prevent you entering.

I propose closing sign up January 21st with the Trade running to early June.  That way you get a month off before the main trade starts  :) ;) :D Post here with “I’m in” and let’s have some fun
« Last Edit: January 06, 2024, 12:44:55 pm by stuckinthemud »

Offline mmattockx

Re: Inaugural “junior” bow trade
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2023, 01:51:15 pm »
I hope this works out. I'm still too busy with building a garage and finishing up some other house related projects to commit to it, but I plan to make a bow or two in 2024 and this would be great if I can get in on the next one.

Mark

Offline stuckinthemud

• avenue woodcarving
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2023, 06:10:56 am »
Bump

Offline Mafort

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2024, 11:10:51 am »
I’d be up for putting a good bow stave of yew to the best bow built for this trade. Or as an incentive for it.

Offline stuckinthemud

• avenue woodcarving
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2024, 04:47:13 pm »
That is super generous, thank you so much.  I reckon I could add in a box of small hardwood pieces for inlays, overlays or knife-scales or whatever

Offline Aaron1726

« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2024, 11:13:43 pm »
Hey guys, I'll bite.  I'm in.

Offline stuckinthemud

• avenue woodcarving
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2024, 06:04:21 am »
Wahoo

Offline Mafort

« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2024, 10:36:41 am »
I’ll do it too but I will abstain from any prizes or staves. Haven’t done a bow trade in a year.

Offline Muskyman

« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2024, 11:43:37 am »
I’ve been looking at this and considering it. I’ve been on the site for a year or more but I don’t have a quote-unquote membership. So I’m guessing that I couldn’t enter?

Offline Muskyman

« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2024, 11:50:54 am »
I guess answered my own question. I’m listed in the membership list.

Offline stuckinthemud

• avenue woodcarving
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2024, 12:40:41 pm »
Hey Muskyman, you’ve been posting on PA for way over 12 months, you’re very welcome in this Trade.

Offline paulc

« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2024, 02:31:24 pm »
I'll play as long as the ship date is a ways out...I have only made perhaps 2, maybe 3 "successful" bows in my many, many years of being involved here.  Too many hobbies :-)

Paul

Offline stuckinthemud

• avenue woodcarving
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2024, 04:34:40 pm »
I was thinking shipping would be early June just before the main bow trade starts (working off last year’s dates), that’d give about a 5 month build time and maybe encourage some to transition into the main bow trade. A lot of people missed out on a good thing last year.

Offline Mafort

« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2024, 01:34:23 pm »
im not sure how the bows will be graded as far as whos made the best one from this trade, however the piece of yew i have in my possession for the prize for this trade is 75 or so inches long, 2.5 inches wide and very straight with almost no undulations or wacky grain (i know no fun  ;D) and its 1.5 inches thick. premium warbow stave if ive ever seen it. so take your time, make sure your tiller is good and have fun! post the stages! there are massive amounts of resources on this forum. try something different. good luck everyone!

Offline superdav95

« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2024, 03:41:05 pm »
Very generous Mafort!  Sounds like a good one. 
Sticks and stones and other poky stabby things.

superdav95@gmail.com